Sponsored by:

snow tyres in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 01:08 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Harris,
You really won't want the snow tires in dry/hot weather. You lose grip, handling sharpness, and they will wear out like crazy.
You have 3 summer tire options: Pirelli, Conti, or Michelin. I have used all 3. The Michelin PS2 is the best of the summer tires, but no good in slush and bad in snow. The Conti is not as good a summer tire, and miserable in slush and snow. The Pirelli is the worst summer tire (grip, noise, and the belts shift), but the best slush tire. I would not buy the Pirelli summer tire.
If you are driving in the snow, I would get the Pirelli snow tires, monuted on an extra set of rims. AS
Old 12-14-2007, 03:25 PM
harris
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mpclimber
Why would you want to drive on snow tires year round in Athens?
I did not understand the question...
sorry

harris
Old 12-14-2007, 03:31 PM
harris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Harris,
You really won't want the snow tires in dry/hot weather. You lose grip, handling sharpness, and they will wear out like crazy.
You have 3 summer tire options: Pirelli, Conti, or Michelin. I have used all 3. The Michelin PS2 is the best of the summer tires, but no good in slush and bad in snow. The Conti is not as good a summer tire, and miserable in slush and snow. The Pirelli is the worst summer tire (grip, noise, and the belts shift), but the best slush tire. I would not buy the Pirelli summer tire.
If you are driving in the snow, I would get the Pirelli snow tires, monuted on an extra set of rims. AS
to be more precise.....
we do not have icy roads all the time here in grece..
even when we take the car to ski resorts....people are cleaning the roads in scuch a way that some paces are only wet tarmac...

you understand that mounting snow tyres on the car might be lucky to use them on snowy or icy roads.
even winter in grece temperature might get as high as 15 degrees celcius = 59 F ...which I do not know if this is good for winter tyres or not
Old 12-14-2007, 06:40 PM
mpclimber
Instructor

What we are trying to say is: Do NOT buy another set of Pirelli 240 snow tires for this car. Buy summer performance tires or at very least all-season tires.
Also, go with the stock tire sizes: 225 width in front and 295 in the rear (assuming you use the stock wheels).
Old 12-14-2007, 07:20 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Harris......over here we would change over to winter tires when we expect temperatures below 40 (4'celcius) and when snow & wet 'might' happen in the forcast. The main reason is getting the 'Z' rated rubber off the car....but also providing a good open tread pattern.
In my part of the country that's December until April.
15 or 20' celcius (or above) will wear your winter tires quicker than you would like (and not provide the performance you deserve in the spring-summer-fall).

Good luck!
Old 12-15-2007, 08:23 AM
harris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GreggT
Harris......over here we would change over to winter tires when we expect temperatures below 40 (4'celcius) and when snow & wet 'might' happen in the forcast. The main reason is getting the 'Z' rated rubber off the car....but also providing a good open tread pattern.
In my part of the country that's December until April.
15 or 20' celcius (or above) will wear your winter tires quicker than you would like (and not provide the performance you deserve in the spring-summer-fall).

Good luck!
ok I did understand what's going on with the tyres....
although it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a 2nd set of winter tyres just for the ski-week-ends....

the car has also a proper set of tyres and wheels 225 & 295 respectivelly pirelli's again...which I will be using sortly...

the whole thread-question was based on the fact that I was trying to figure out why the car is not handling as it should be..
after reading all your helpfull answers and having in mind that w & t where bought from a porsche dealer in an almost new condition in germany I realised that it was my mistake driving from st Moritz Switzerland to ancona Italy with over 180 klms all the time...
tyres were worn in a very bad way

next time I will be more carefull...

Quick Reply: snow tyres in the rain