Sponsored by:

Which exhaust??

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 01:40 AM
911TBO
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which exhaust??

I have an MY01 996 Turbo which is stock standard at the moment.

I want to make it a bit quicker, but have modeified my past cars very heavily and don't want to go down that road again. So I will retain the K16 turbos.

I am definitely going to get a flashed ECU (undecided which one at this stage)

I am not sure which exhaust to get though. I want the car to be as quiet as possible. I'm tossing up between the following at the moment:

Europipe Stage 1
Europipe Stage 2 Quiet
Milltek
STANDARD EXHAUST

I guess I don't see the need for 70mm piping on the K16 turbos. My previous car (not a porsche) made nearly 700HP and ran twin 60mm exhaust. I upgraded to twin 70mm and it made very little different. So surely on a car with ~500hp, 60mm will be ample?

Which brings me to the point, if I am going to go for 60mm (EP1), is there any point upgrading the standard exhaust? I mean even the X50's and GT2's run the same exhaust, right? And the RUF exhausts are basically stock ones too.

I am open to any suggestions.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:16 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 315 Likes on 221 Posts

Well welcome to the forum..

Most people purchase a new exhaust for the sound improvement and the ability to pick up a few HP..

The Europipe Stage 1 in my opinion the red headed step child. For a few extra dollars you can move yourself into a system (EP2) that will net you $3,500 in your pocket when you sell your car..

What the 70mm does is allows the turbine wheels to spool up quicker, this will translate into boost being built sooner.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:21 AM
911TBO
7th Gear

Thanks Kevin.

I tend to agree, might as well stay with stock exhaust if I stay with EP1. What about exhausts that have 70mm piping and standard tips...eg Milltek? Any experience with them?

So, If I take a stock K16 car and throw on an EP2 quiet, I won't lose any bottom end?

How much louder are they? A niocer sound than stock would be great, but I want it quiet.

How much more power could you expect if only running 1.0 bar with he EP than with the stock exhaust?
Old 12-02-2007, 09:18 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Cargraphics, mid-loudness. ;-)
Old 12-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Jagsiva
Instructor

DB & backpressure ratings:
http://www.europipe.be/1024.html

Videos:
http://www.europipe.be/1024.html
Old 12-02-2007, 09:44 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I just heard Militek on 996TT, sounded like a louder stock exhaust, but not by much ( sorry I know that's not a lot of help). There is supposedly no drone/resonance so that's a good thing, but I didn't like how far the cans hang down past the bumper line, might be an issue on a lowered car.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:44 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For $50 (fifty total)...TJW mod a la the thread on 6speedonline.com. If money is sort of an object, John D's exhaust looks promising. Tried and true high end: EuroPipe. Really high power output...take a look at Kevins new system. There is a remote control unit out there from 9ff, and there is at least one Ti system (even lighter probably).

There were dyno tests of the TJW system and it opens things up early....

FWIW.

IF I were super rich, I would get Kevins or the bazooka EP systems described (not on their website)....for bragging rights mostly. My rational brain says get John D's for under 2k. People like the fabspeed system(s)....some think they mount off the mark... There are systems on ebay a lot that seem source from Asia. Nothing wrong with that, but no talk on the boards about them....the ones that seem to hold their value the best, EuroPipe.

JB
Old 12-02-2007, 05:16 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 911TBO
I have an MY01 996 Turbo which is stock standard at the moment.

I want to make it a bit quicker, but have modeified my past cars very heavily and don't want to go down that road again. So I will retain the K16 turbos.

I am definitely going to get a flashed ECU (undecided which one at this stage)

I am not sure which exhaust to get though. I want the car to be as quiet as possible. I'm tossing up between the following at the moment:

Europipe Stage 1
Europipe Stage 2 Quiet
Milltek
STANDARD EXHAUST

I guess I don't see the need for 70mm piping on the K16 turbos. My previous car (not a porsche) made nearly 700HP and ran twin 60mm exhaust. I upgraded to twin 70mm and it made very little different. So surely on a car with ~500hp, 60mm will be ample?

Which brings me to the point, if I am going to go for 60mm (EP1), is there any point upgrading the standard exhaust? I mean even the X50's and GT2's run the same exhaust, right? And the RUF exhausts are basically stock ones too.

I am open to any suggestions.
From reading your post, my advice (and I run straight pipes) is to leave the exhaust alone and save your money. Go with an Upsolute flash which will make a big difference even with the stock muffler and BE DONE WITH IT!!!

Car will be quite and perform wonderfully!!

Quick Reply: Which exhaust??