Sponsored by:

Battery dead, CPO coverage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 01:24 AM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Battery dead, CPO coverage?

Just bought a 996 turbo last month. Drove it every day for 3 weeks and then when I was going out of town, I hooked it up to a trickle charger. Came back and went to start the car- no go. Called Porsche roadside and they jumped the car and then I drove it to the dealer. The tech said that the battery would not hold a charge, so I replaced it.

In your opinion should the dealer cover the cost of a new battery, since the battery was "checked" under CPO and found to be good?
Old 12-01-2007, 03:02 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Porsche should but they won't.. They consider it a wear item.

It's a similar situation when they will replace the clutch slave cylinder. But refuse to pay for the accumulator replacement.

You might just ask the dealer that did the CPO to replace the battery for you.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:50 AM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i demanded that the dealer replace the battery when i purchased the car. its an 03 with 36k miles when i purchased it. the cpo will not cover the battery replacement.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:24 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Its hard to know whats covered on the CPO. They assume my window regulator is a wear item and wont replace that under a CPO. I have only used it 2 times in the year I have owned the car so they apparently didnt check it in their inspection. Hey they did pay for a new horn which I also have never used
Old 12-01-2007, 11:25 AM
whiteturbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery

I guess i had a good one mine is a 01 and i just replaced it about 4 months ago. I replaced it with a Interstate. What brand did your dealer install? Mine replaces them with interstate.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:35 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

They did not even replace mine under Porsche warranty (less than 3 years). I did not drive it enough. They told me don't buy a Porsche battery. I replaced with a lighter Interstate battery, hooked up the Interstate maintainer and more CCA to boot.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:04 PM
alpha1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems to be the consensus opinion is that the OEM Porsche battery is not as good as many aftermarket ones. The CPO warranty is limited, and as WROSS said even the original factory warranty may not cover the battery if you don't meet the annual mileage requirement.

I bought my car as a CPO and had it shipped home. It started with no problem to be driven off the truck and for a quick drive around the block, but then later that same day the batttery died and wouldn't hold a charge. I called up the dealer and asked that they pay for a new battery -- it took over a month to work out, but they finally did. Since it was an OEM Porsche battery installed by my local dealer, I bought a battery maintaner.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:24 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I save my time and troubles for bigger fish.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:54 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

I've never met resistnace from a dealer when the final statement of the negotiation is " Okay, I'll take that price, but I want a new battery and wipers" That typically comes when you are down to negotiating the last $500. AS

Quick Reply: Battery dead, CPO coverage?