What to look for at a PPI?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 06:34 PM
monabaker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for at a PPI?

2001 - 996TT Coupe - 25,000Miles - 6MT

What should I look to pay for a PPI at my local Porsche delaer, and what should I be looking for them to inspect?

What are the signs of a car to avoid or to buy that may not be obvious.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ECU readout, SW version/checksum verification, Type1 and Type 2 over revs reported, eDCS listing of configuration/options, leakdown/compression test, verifcation of FR6 plugs installed, complete TSB/service history, OBDII emissions check, consumables (brakes, clutch) check, leaks check, fluids verification, listing of all non OEM parts and modifications, verify proper operation of all options, road test, proper temp/pressure, possible popping out of second, weak slave cylinder, any vibration/pad transfer feel in brakes,.....
Old 11-19-2007, 07:27 PM
monabaker
Pro

WOW!!! That's the kind of list I was looking for and more!

Thank you very much!!
Old 11-19-2007, 11:08 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And every shop is different on what they charge, but I found that somewhere in the $400 range is usually fair IF they have a good checklist they go by and include all the above and more. Some shops charge like $100 but you get what you pay for....
Old 11-20-2007, 01:01 AM
Gemba
Intermediate

Great list, how much of that do you think the average CPO gets... ???? Wondering because I want the CPO.

Originally Posted by ltc
ECU readout, SW version/checksum verification, Type1 and Type 2 over revs reported, eDCS listing of configuration/options, leakdown/compression test, verifcation of FR6 plugs installed, complete TSB/service history, OBDII emissions check, consumables (brakes, clutch) check, leaks check, fluids verification, listing of all non OEM parts and modifications, verify proper operation of all options, road test, proper temp/pressure, possible popping out of second, weak slave cylinder, any vibration/pad transfer feel in brakes,.....
Old 11-20-2007, 07:08 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Gemba
Great list, how much of that do you think the average CPO gets... ???? Wondering because I want the CPO.
CPO gets what is needed to minimize PCNA and dealer exposure during the warranty period (new consumables...pads, tires, etc), make sure all options/features are working, veryify all Porsche TSB's have been performed and up to date), readout ECU to determine over revs (and any liability that may be associated with them).
The normal cost of a CPO covers replacement of these items.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:42 AM
monabaker
Pro

What about finding out things like all of the factory options and their codes? How can I use the VIN to get those? Will that tell me if it has an X50, stuff like that?
Old 11-20-2007, 10:59 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Porsche dealer
or
Porsche certificate of authenticity:
http://www.pca.org/members/library/C...uthen_Form.pdf
or
decode the options label from the car:
http://www.kindel.com/porsche/options.asp
Old 11-20-2007, 01:53 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

Do not forego a PPI just because a car is a CPO car. I recently purchased a CPO car (certified about 1 month prior) and found a few items on the PPI, and one of them was $$ to fix. The PPI uncovered a rear spoiler hydraulic leak which also threw codes in the computer. This is about $1400 to fix at a dealer, is a relatively common failure, and is NOT covered by the CPO. Plus, if you can participate in at least part of the PPI, you will learn some valuable stuff about your car.

On another note, I suggest a THOROUGH test drive, at least an hour or two, including a lot of time trundling through subdivisions in second gear trying to induce a second-gear popout. In my test drive, I observed no second gear issues, none were noted in the PPI, and yet within two weeks I was getting them under certain conditions (coasting downhill, off-throttle into a particular slow corner, etc). Luckily a new transmission was covered under the CPO warranty.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

If this vehicle is at a Dodge dealership, I don't believe they can sell it with a PCNA backed CPO (unless the car is run thru Chambers' Porsche dealership perhaps...only a Porsche dealer can offer a CPO to qualified vehicles). Of course they can offer an extended/aftermarket/3rd party warranty, which may or may not offer coverage in excess of a CPO.
Also, some dealers are reluctant to question the validity of a CPO inspection/certification with an independent PPI; they simply won't let the car off the lot for the indy PPI.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:39 PM
monabaker
Pro

Hi Samuel,

I just got word from our Audi/Porsche dealership regarding the 911. It turns out that it probably needs more work than is feasible in order to sell it retail. The clutch is indeed worn, it may need brakes for all four wheels, and it may need a new steering gear. These repairs total in the thousands of dollars.

I appreciate your patience while we waited for this appointment. I apologize for the delay and hope we can be of assistance in any automotive sales or service needs you may have in the future

.Regards,
Stephen Guendner
Pre-Owned Vehicle Manager
Herb Chambers Dodge Chrylser Jeep
New England's #1 Dealer
978-774-8840
sguendner@herbchambers.com

Quick Reply: What to look for at a PPI?