Old 11-19-2007, 08:15 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Oak
sounds like it would probably be faster than the new GT2.
Anything's faster than that thing
Old 11-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

lol, I'm pulling my deposit.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:09 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Anything's faster than that thing if I am driving it
Old 11-20-2007, 05:06 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all this GT2 versus 997TT versus 996TT versus GT3 versus GT3RS, etc. debate it’s now like the debate about motorbikes. It’s all in the rider/driver. Sure if you have lots of straights the higher BHP car will post better times – everyone has the ***** to floor the throttle on the straights. But what a satisfaction I get when I pass a 1000cc bike on my 600 on the outside. What now amazes me is that on my local former motto GP track 1000’s and 600’s both with top pilots are separated only by few seconds per lap and 1000’s have 50BHP more. With close to 500bhp on tap (our cars) it’s all about the driver skill. You could give me a GT2 and I am convinced Walter would whoop my **** in a NA996 and I know how to drive believe me… or not in this case. :-)
Old 11-20-2007, 03:15 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonK
With all this GT2 versus 997TT versus 996TT versus GT3 versus GT3RS, etc. debate it’s now like the debate about motorbikes. It’s all in the rider/driver. Sure if you have lots of straights the higher BHP car will post better times – everyone has the ***** to floor the throttle on the straights. But what a satisfaction I get when I pass a 1000cc bike on my 600 on the outside. What now amazes me is that on my local former motto GP track 1000’s and 600’s both with top pilots are separated only by few seconds per lap and 1000’s have 50BHP more. With close to 500bhp on tap (our cars) it’s all about the driver skill. You could give me a GT2 and I am convinced Walter would whoop my **** in a NA996 and I know how to drive believe me… or not in this case. :-)

Simon, totally true. But to compare apples to apples, for the sake of the discussions on this forum car v car, lets assume equal drivers. That way we really are talking about car performance not driving performance.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:46 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
Except in the 1/4 mile
Old 11-21-2007, 06:47 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Simon, totally true. But to compare apples to apples, for the sake of the discussions on this forum car v car, lets assume equal drivers. That way we really are talking about car performance not driving performance.
In such case GT2 wins hands down. It’s an all assault weapon from Porsche and it’s the quickest stock - road car (if you can call it road car) Porsche has build to date. 997GT2 has posted quicker time on the ring than the Carrera GT! With Walter at helm it would demolish 996’s or 997’s and I don’t think there is much out there that would kill it short of race cars.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:34 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

In such case GT2 wins hands down. It’s an all assault weapon from Porsche and it’s the quickest stock - road car (if you can call it road car) Porsche has build to date. 997GT2 has posted quicker time on the ring than the Carrera GT! With Walter at helm it would demolish 996’s or 997’s and I don’t think there is much out there that would kill it short of race cars.
then that is the barometer to measure all other cars and their upgrades!
Old 11-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 550 Posts

997GT2 has posted quicker time on the ring than the Carrera GT!
I believe the CGT time was achieved on inferior tires (as compared to the 997 GT2). If this is true, then the CGT...given equality in tires...would probably be significantly faster than the 997 GT2 on the NBR.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:22 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Dock,
Were those Corsas? If we take that position, then don't all the cars need to be retested on identical rubber? Are those tires even available in standard CGT sizes?
I think that "apples to apples" implies we take the car as delivered or tested, as otherwise any modern upgrade could be added. I'm certain you will have a logical and irrefutable answer. AS
Old 11-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Dock,
Were those Corsas? If we take that position, then don't all the cars need to be retested on identical rubber?...I think that "apples to apples" implies we take the car as delivered or tested, as otherwise any modern upgrade could be added. I'm certain you will have a logical and irrefutable answer. AS
I will have to research the tire brand issue...I don't have the specifics, just that they were of different performance types.

And yes, of course you can evaluate cars based strictly on how they are delivered from the factory. But since tires are such an important factor in determining performance, it is illustrative to eliminate (if possible) their contribution to the total performance number, allowing a more accurate assessment of the suspension, chassis, and power differences between the two cars. It's very much like having the same person drive each car...it just eliminates one of the variables and allows a more accurate picture.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I get leery when I start to hear too much theory.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Tom,
Stop me if you've heard this before......Cup Car.
You're prolonging the inevitable.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:36 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Tom,
Stop me if you've heard this before......Cup Car.
You're prolonging the inevitable.
I'm looking at that vs one of the Koni cars..............

As for apples to apples..........car from the factory..........modded car.........etc
but to keep the all car comparison I would like to see the comparison with same driver and SAME tires.
I dont count tires per say as an upgrade (even though they are) in comparing cars. the tires should be equal then the car and suspension etc will be the determining factors.
It would be ridiculous to compare one car with street tires even good ones compared to a car on R compound tires even if they are not Cups.

again my 2 cents............
Old 11-22-2007, 10:24 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Tom,
I fully agree. But, it is highly unlikely that you can get Walter to take a ZO6 or Viper around the ring to compare to another Porsche, or that you can get him to retest each car once the best new tire is available in the correct size. So, trying to get the perfect test results in having no tests.
On paper, the CGT should be much faster, as horsepower, weight, weight distribution, and aerodynamics should be in its favor. The current disparity could be tires, though I'm not sure that the current best tires are even avialable for the CGT, it could be set up (the CGT is delivered loose), or it could be that the tire sizes and wing size won't really allow optimal utilization of the horsepower.
Until somebody actually changes just the tires and cracks the record, it's just speculation.
But, with turbochaged cars, updates in programming can have a significant impact on straightline speed, which is important on courses with long straights. So next year, maybe the 2009 997 GT2 gets a modern reflash for another 50 hp. Then do we say, "Now the 2008 GT2 is fastest again" even if that flash wasn't available when the initial record was set, then broken?
My personal opinion is that th CGT in "as-delivered" street trim is a very challenging car for track use, and this question will likely never be answered. AS

Quick Reply: Modded TT vs New GT2