Modded TT vs New GT2

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
It would be ridiculous to compare one car with street tires even good ones compared to a car on R compound tires even if they are not Cups.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

then why why even start to compare.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:27 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
I'm looking at that vs one of the Koni cars..............

As for apples to apples..........car from the factory..........modded car.........etc
but to keep the all car comparison I would like to see the comparison with same driver and SAME tires.
I dont count tires per say as an upgrade (even though they are) in comparing cars. the tires should be equal then the car and suspension etc will be the determining factors.
It would be ridiculous to compare one car with street tires even good ones compared to a car on R compound tires even if they are not Cups.

again my 2 cents............
I would agree, IF the tires were simply swapped and no suspension changes were allowed.
However, in order to maximize tire performance, you should change the alignments, making the comparison a bit more difficult.

That having been said, and speaking from my son's karting experience, with no chassis changes, just swapping tires (different compounds), he can pick up one second on a lap time.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Oak
then why why even start to compare.
Without a rational framework to work within, there's really no reason.

To use the CGT's NBR lap time versus the 997 GT2 NBR lap time as a measure to substantiate how good the 997 GT2 is doesn't really help one identify any specifics as to why the GT2 is "good". Especially when the discussion may really be one of the 997 GT2 versus a 996 Turbo with modifications. It's all an inexact science to begin with; however, the more variables that are eliminated, the closer you get to a more valid comparison.

It's just like someone saying the 997 Turbo is better than the 996 Turbo because the 997 Turbo has a faster NBR lap time. The problem with this example is that the 996 Turbo time used for comparison is for the non-X73, non-X50 car. The goal should be to compare the "best" examples of each car...but you won't find any lap times for the X73/X50 Turbo because Porsche doesn't want to muddy the water - muddy the water meaning it would be hard to explain why the X73/X50 Turbo lap time was so close to the 997 Turbo in lap time.

Quick Reply: Modded TT vs New GT2