Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 07:31 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sker66
May i ask why you are selling?

Did you install and use it on your car

Must admit I held off on the box due to all the problems. Also must admit I did go with the Vivid box.
their design seems to address the loss of laminar air flow between the box and MAF by placing a screen which is missing in other boxes.
this also dispells the idea that the oil in the filter is the problem since this seems to be blamed on over oiling the filter or handling the MAF not the original oiled filter.
Just my 2 cents but I will be running and testing it out next week at Daytona so will let you know if problems.
pic below is my set up.........on someone elses car, mine is going in as we speak!!

I also understand that even this box is being upgraded to the "second snorkel" on the left by just sending out the new lid and snorkel?! And a CF version??.....................ya never know!! I love the UMW box and Sportec they are works of art, just not the price!!
Old 11-26-2007, 07:55 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adam Bowles
Did you see any HP gain when going with the UMW box? Has anyone ever dynoed it?

How much are the UMW boxes?

Thanks!!
got the Vivid due to the design and dyno (and oh yeah come in colors)

Old 11-26-2007, 08:59 PM
dixie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made the second intake myselve,also don't worry about the temperature off the metal boxes ,I have an IAT from Brockway and the IAT is the same like the OEM plastic box.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:58 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=dixie;4818889]I made the second intake myselve,also don't worry about the temperature off the metal boxes ,I have an IAT from Brockway and the IAT is the same like the OEM plastic box.

Nice job!!! I predict Vivid to follow your lead, excellent job!!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:57 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

why do you need the weight of the metal box when you can get the same results from just a panel insert in the stock box which is lighter?
Old 11-27-2007, 12:11 AM
sker66
Advanced

Yes......Can't the stock box be modded to accomplish the same outcome?
Old 11-27-2007, 04:04 AM
dixie
Intermediate

I've been looking and thinking for hours to make a second intake for the stock box,making a hole to the left in the box is no problem,but making a snorkel that fits on the hole is something else,that's why I bought the vivid intake and I don't believe it's weight is more than the stock box.Is it better than the stock box,I don't know .Is it worse,I don't think so.I think you can only see the difference on the dyno.I think another intake doesn't give enough power to feel the difference in gains.Is Dan from vivid racing a good guy to deal with?Certainly yes....Sended me an updated right box and a longer silicone hose for free and I live in Belgium....
Old 11-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

you know what I really like about that box is the killer weld bead around right box. that's sexy.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Someone needs to take a IR temp gun and measure the heat transfer of the aluminum housing.

Please realize that the airbox is sitting on top of the waterpump. The heat transfer wicks the heat into your intake track...
Old 11-27-2007, 12:07 PM
dixie
Intermediate

I have the Brockway R920 and it has an Air intake temperature gauge and I measured oem plastic box and the vivid metalboxes and temperature is the same,not 1 degree higher on the intake,but I agree,the umw carbonbox is much nicer made than the metalboxes,but I will do something about the ugly weldings..soon..
Old 11-27-2007, 01:05 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

it's pretty hard to beat the stock box in terms of total surface flitering. how can you physically get more air through a smaller filter? much more restriction, doesn't take a genius to see that.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:10 PM
dixie
Intermediate

Ok but if that's true it means that the V-flow is also bad so why do they use it for big HP cars? And vivid racing did a dyno with the intake and it gained some serious power,if they ly, who can we trust ?
Old 11-27-2007, 02:15 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Possible folklore...

Hi.

P-car speed shop in Memphis with some Nascar types coming and going at my last home....that is the background.

Me with a N/A 3.8L 993 C4 1995 with chip and exhaust at the time:
"Does a K&N help things?"

Guru:
Nope, we tested it. A few times. The BMC one too.

Me:
Really, all the adds and posts and such say it will help (N/A mind you at the time for me...)?

Guru:
We took the stock box, covered half the filter with duct tape. No dyno change. Covered up half of the remaining half...no change (new filter). Covering it up only made a difference up to the point of about a coke can diameter....

Me:
So a clean small filter is better than a used big filter?

Guru:
Probably, we noticed that the K&N and BMC can be seen through...as engine builders, that really bothers us. We don't think the oil thing is minor...most people should not clean them, they have the funds, just buy new ones if they want the fancy filters....often.

Me:
So what should I do?

Guru:
Change the stock unit a lot...and relax.

To all: I relaxed. Other gurus have said the same to me. It is hard to argue with the Vivid data. What I propose is that the key is they have a clean, new filter. If I go with anything like their unit, I will stock up on the filters...changing them every 10k or so...and just wasting the money. Just me. But the testing above does suggest that the clean stock filters are way overkill in surface area. They are much better (the stock units) when dirty and I bet they stop a lot more dirt.

I am a bit nervous about the particulate matter getting into the engine over time....

Just me.

:-)
Old 11-28-2007, 01:06 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

it's hype. you can skew the dyno anyways you like.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:35 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Oak and Kevin as always make good points.

Certainly CF would look and be cooler and ?less heat transfer?
But as I think an upgrade intake more AKA the 997 a bilateral intake set up is probably an improvement.
I think Vivid said they would upgrade the box they have now to duel opening when available.
also seems like good design and not the cost of the CF.
Even though I like the yellow in the engine bay, I dont drive around with the bonnet up so the weld or CF doesnt really matter.
Intake temps do however, and Kevin good point.
Oak, I am going to keep pulling the finger on this one!!

Happy Holidays guys!!!
tom

Quick Reply: Evoms V-Flow