Sponsored by:

996TT Handling

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 03:20 PM
jnkdg
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996TT Handling

I am in the market for a 996TT and have been test-driving for a while. I must admit, due to the power, I have not paid much attention to the handling.
Last week, I test-drove a 2003 996TT with a friend who owes a 997S. He pointed out that the TT did not grip the road as much as the 997S. It also occured to me that at high speeds, the car was had a slight sway to it. Is this a function of the 996TT suspension or is it that particular car? It has 4 new Michelin Sports on.
I would appreciate the input of the forum.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by jnkdg
I am in the market for a 996TT and have been test-driving for a while. I must admit, due to the power, I have not paid much attention to the handling.
Last week, I test-drove a 2003 996TT with a friend who owes a 997S. He pointed out that the TT did not grip the road as much as the 997S. It also occured to me that at high speeds, the car was had a slight sway to it. Is this a function of the 996TT suspension or is it that particular car? It has 4 new Michelin Sports on.
I would appreciate the input of the forum.
The "sway" may be because of the new tires. On many new tires it take a few hundred miles for the "jelly" feeling to go away.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:55 PM
tdub
Instructor

the 2 cars need to be approached dfferently to get the optimum handling out of each as 0ne is a rwd and one is awd.

In stock form the 997 feels tighter but if you throw a better suspension on the tt you have a monster.

tw
Old 11-10-2007, 08:52 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

The 996tt does not have "sway" at high speeds, assuming the tires are appropriately inflated, fronts and rears have the same wear, and the suspension is properly alligned and undamaged. The tt doesn't "grip the road" less, it has some understeer on entry, but allows more throttle on exit. AS
Old 11-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My stock suspension and ride height has some sway in it, that's why I'm changing to coil over dampers next week.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:38 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tdub
the 2 cars need to be approached dfferently to get the optimum handling out of each as 0ne is a rwd and one is awd.

In stock form the 997 feels tighter but if you throw a better suspension on the tt you have a monster.

tw
Completely agree. There's seriously not much else out there that can hold the road like a properly set up Turbo.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:18 AM
C DeVito
Racer

The 997S is lighter and takes a set slightly quicker than the 996TT, plus the above mentioned initial understeer; but that in no way translates to ultimate grip. I have never felt sway in my car at higher speeds, so not sure if you aren't feeling an alignment problem in that particular car. Slight rear toe out can cause this feeling in the 996.

Shopping last year I felt the 997S had good throttle response and lighter steering but for road work the reaction time was comparable. You feel the added weight of the TT especially waiting for the rear to set. I'm not sure how/if that can be changed easily, but I am working on dialing out the understeer. The 996 is an excellent handling platform which can be further developed. If you can live with 355hp and don't intend to make any changes the 997S is a great car off the show room floor.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:27 AM
jnkdg
AutoX

The car is o/w in great condition with only 32K miles.
I'm wondering if this issue is easily fixable and whether I can get the price down based on that.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:44 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I own a TT and drive (at the track) many 997S's (due to may teaching and driver instructing)
I have been very impressed at the performance of the 997S.
That said the TT runs circles around it at the track.
As for the fixable issue, I dont think you have demonstrated an issue unless an inspection reveals an actual suspension malfunction.
May car and no other TT I have ever driven "sway", at least not up to 180 mph. Maybe they do if you go faster!
Get the TT you wont be sorry.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:01 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jnkdg
Last week, I test-drove a 2003 996TT with a friend who owes a 997S. He pointed out that the TT did not grip the road as much as the 997S.
Human illusion of the car, different suspensions.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:33 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

Sway??

Are you Sure you guys weren't in a Cayenne Turbo??
Old 11-13-2007, 06:31 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what you are describing is the flexing “the jelly effect” of new tyres. Calling it sway implies car leans left to right like some kind of boat on waves this is why some guys here are wondering what are you talking about and are suspecting suspension problems. Tyres with soft compound and new deep threads flex a little and that definitely gives you that slight “sway” feel especially if you drive above 120 mph and are doing some quick lane changes at those speeds…
Old 11-13-2007, 07:39 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonK
I think what you are describing is the flexing “the jelly effect” of new tyres. Calling it sway implies car leans left to right like some kind of boat on waves this is why some guys here are wondering what are you talking about and are suspecting suspension problems. Tyres with soft compound and new deep threads flex a little and that definitely gives you that slight “sway” feel especially if you drive above 120 mph and are doing some quick lane changes at those speeds…
I agree (...see post #2 above).
Old 11-13-2007, 07:47 PM
DublinOh
Instructor

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
I own a TT and drive (at the track) many 997S's (due to may teaching and driver instructing)
I have been very impressed at the performance of the 997S.
That said the TT runs circles around it at the track.
As for the fixable issue, I dont think you have demonstrated an issue unless an inspection reveals an actual suspension malfunction.
May car and no other TT I have ever driven "sway", at least not up to 180 mph. Maybe they do if you go faster!
Get the TT you wont be sorry.
Originally Posted by SimonK

I Agree with these experienced Rennlist icons
Old 11-13-2007, 07:51 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ditto on above. I've had my TT up to 175 mph and after 120 it feels so planted to the road it feels like driving at 25 mph in other cars I've had. It's amazingly stable and the issue you describe definitely has to do with the car you are driving and not a general "problem".

Quick Reply: 996TT Handling