Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blizzaks vs. SnowSports (yep, winter tires)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 10:25 AM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default blizzaks vs. SnowSports (yep, winter tires)

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 vs. Pirelli Winter 240 SnowSport

Which are better??? I'm thinking about putting one of them on this winter. Thanks.

GBG
Old 09-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used them both and would call them equal. They both worked great for me.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I am a fan of the Blizzak myself. Last time I checked they had their own ice racing class since they gave such an edge to the guys in the snow tire class.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:19 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It depends on the winter surfaces you will find yourself driving on.

If you drive primarily on snow/packed snow and NOT on clear/paved roads, then the Blizzaks have an advantage. However, if you drive a Blizzak on primarily bare pavement during the winter months, the outer 'spongy' layer of rubber will quickly wear away, rendering them about as good as any other winter tire.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:30 AM
GBG
Pro

Originally Posted by ltc
It depends on the winter surfaces you will find yourself driving on.

If you drive primarily on snow/packed snow and NOT on clear/paved roads, then the Blizzaks have an advantage. However, if you drive a Blizzak on primarily bare pavement during the winter months, the outer 'spongy' layer of rubber will quickly wear away, rendering them about as good as any other winter tire.
Great insight, thanks ltc.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:49 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

You're welcome.
FWIW, I normally recommend Continental winter tires to my collegues here at work; they have all been extremely pleased.

I had a set of TS710's flown in from Germany (TireRack now sells the TS790 and TS810) when I had my Audi S4; phenominal winter tires on an AWD platform, very good wear on mixed winter roads.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:50 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

You may also want to contact Rennlist members 'Pierre' and 'T2'.
Both come to mind for having extensive winter driving experience with their 996TT's.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:29 PM
bdhill
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snow tires

I really like Michelin Pilot Alpins. Have not used them on a tt, but they are great tires. Reasonably stiff sidewall, not too noisy and good traction. Not sure if they make them to fit a tt. I am a big Michelin fan for all my vehicles.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:55 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

I have the Pirellis on my tt, and find them to be a good snow tire and an excellent all weather tire. I have run Blizzaks on other cars and find they are too soft for spirited driving on dry days. They do wear quickly. When you run them, you suconsciously slow your driving down on dry days due to the knowledge you are just grinding off rubber.
The tt is on snows is never stopped for lack of grip (Unlike a benz or BMW). I live at the top of a steep hill in a tiny town that sometimes expereinces delayed plowing, in the "lake effect" snow belt of Indiana. The Porsche needs snows from the end of November to the middle of April, which is our snow season. New Blizzak snow grip is incredible. But, since there are actually more dry days than snow days, I think you will be happier on Pirellis. AS
Old 09-20-2007, 05:01 PM
peachboy
Racer

Out of curiousity, I'm running 19" summer wheels on a TTS (PCCB). Would a 18" wheel clear the PCCB calipers ? Would rather put 18" winter whees than 19"
Old 09-20-2007, 05:43 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 54 Posts

Dunlop Winter Sports for 5 winters now - they are great and wear VERY well. There was a write up a couple years back on this subject in Excellence and they recommended this tire with the winter spec sizes and they work great. Just an FYI - a 996TT on these tires will drive up a 20-25 degree incline for about 900ft through a two foot snowbank and 14 inches of the light powdery stuff without any issues at all - not that I've tried or anything!! Good luck!! T2
Old 09-20-2007, 06:04 PM
GBG
Pro

Thanks guys, all very helpful. GBG
Old 09-20-2007, 06:54 PM
rfl
Advanced

Here's another approach which I use on my RS6: instead of dedicated snow tires, just get a set of high-performance all-season tires. Where we live in Westchester County, New York, there is actually snow on the ground maybe 6-10 days a winter. Most of the time the roads are clear, even if the temperatures are sub-freezing. High-performance all-season tires will handle WAY better than snow tires when the roads are snow-free and will wear much better. Also, since our real concern during the winter is very cold temperatures -- which are very bad for summer tires because they become very hard and non-pliable and therefore slippery even on dry roads -- all-season tires address that concern, still allow for spirited driving on dry/cold days, and are not "overkill" on the 100+ winter days when it is just cold but not snowing. I had Blizzaks on an M3 for several winters and found that I really had to change the way I drove on dry roads. I put up with it because that car was RWD and I had no choice. But with an AWD car such as the TT, I think high-performance all-season tires are the best way to go. On the relatively few days of really bad weather, take your X5 (although I forget if yours has summer tires since it is a 4.6) or get a ride to the train station.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:54 PM
DublinOh
Instructor

I thought that an all-season might be a good choice also...but can you find a 295/30/18 all season tire? After I spent more time than it was worth looking at every tire I could find info on, I bought the Pirelli Winter Sport 240 265/35/18 and 225/40/18 the N3 Porsche recommended fitment. I'll let you know next spring how I liked them.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:59 PM
rfl
Advanced

can you find a 295/30/18 all season tire?
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are available in a slightly smaller size, 285/35ZR18. Not sure how that would work.

Quick Reply: blizzaks vs. SnowSports (yep, winter tires)