Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would I be happy with a 996TT coming from a 2006 M5?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Adam Bowles
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would I be happy with a 996TT coming from a 2006 M5?

Hello all.

I am thinking about trading cars and thought I would get your input. I currently own a 2006 E60 M5, and I am thinking about trading for a 2003 996TT with 19,000 miles and the Porsche CPO. I use the M5 as a daily driver, so I would use the 996 as a daily driver as well. I am a young guy and want more of a sports car, but want it to be comfortable as well.

A few questions...

1. Is the performance of the TT comparable to the M5?

2. Is the TT comfortable as a daily driver?

3. Are there any problems I should look out for with the TT?

4. Will I be happy with a TT?

5. Are the TT's reliable?

6. Does the CPO cover the same as a new car warranty?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make sure I am an informed buyer.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 08-20-2007, 10:48 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Have you driven the 996 Turbo?
Old 08-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Adam Bowles
Track Day

No, not yet. I am going to look at it Saturday. I just wanted to know what to expect.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:59 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 137 Posts

Hey, fancy seeing you here Adam Reading up on my TT's since I'll eventually make the same change (although probably a 997 or future iteration if I wait that long). Good luck. Make sure you tell the M5Boarders your decision.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:01 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Bowles
No, not yet. I am going to look at it Saturday. I just wanted to know what to expect.
Is it a Tip or a 6-speed?
Old 08-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Adam Bowles
Track Day

6 speed
Old 08-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Adam Bowles
Track Day

Originally Posted by bonehead
Hey, fancy seeing you here Adam Reading up on my TT's since I'll eventually make the same change (although probably a 997 or future iteration if I wait that long). Good luck. Make sure you tell the M5Boarders your decision.
Thanks!! I have been getting a bit bored with the M5, so I think I may be ready for a change. I found a 996tt locally, so I may give it a shot. Just trying to educate myself as much as possible. I'll be sure to let the M5boarder's know what I decide.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:25 AM
clt8981
Track Day

Coming from a performance sedan (CTS-V), I can tell you there is no comparison. Obvioulsy the cts-v is step or 2 below the m5, but I don't miss having 4 doors at all. I'm not sure what I was trying to do with the cts-v, but I was never really happy with it. As for my car now I can honestly say its the best car decision I have made. I love the all wheel drive..the car just bites the pavement. The cts-v was fast, but this is another league..the cts did 90 or so in 3rd as the porsche does alot more. It was also annoying having to explain that I didnt drive a grandpa sedan (well I guess maybe it was) when someone asked what kind of car I had..ha.

p.s. the CPO warranty is not the same as a new car warranty. Go to porsche's site and then the pre-owned, the porsche approved section. there is PDF you can download that list all the covered items. It does cover all the major components but there is some it doesn't, i.e power steering oil resevoir ($1100 fix)
Old 08-21-2007, 12:30 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to drive it to believe it. I've never owned a sedan so I can't speak about BMW, but the boost of the turbo speaks for itself! That's why I drive one. Warranty issues are always iffy, so ask questions ahead of time from your provider. Certain cars have had 2nd gear pop out issues, and reading the on board computer for over-rev data is wise because it may indicate how the car was previously treated. The car is comfortable, modern, intuitive and awesome to drive. Plus when you grow into it, you can re-flash the ECU and other mods to make a truly fast car, not that it isn't fast to begin with. I'm talking 600, 700, 800 hundred HP if you want. The handling is phenomenal. The brakes are phenomenal. The car will put a smile on your face!
Old 08-21-2007, 08:11 AM
C DeVito
Racer

A few questions...opinions

1. Is the performance of the TT comparable to the M5?
Straight line it is close but handling is not at all the same. Center of gravity, weight and weight distribution make for a very different handling character. It depends on how you drive whether that will make a difference to you. It depends on what is making you bored about the M5. If you are looking for a stop light rush, I'm not sure the difference is going to do it for you. If you like driving the curves at 8-9/10ths then it might. Of course there is modding....no comparison there.

2. Is the TT comfortable as a daily driver?
Yes, but it doesn't have the ride of a BMW. I only drive my 5er on rainy days and don't miss it. It is certainly better for taking 4 people to lunch.

3. Are there any problems I should look out for with the TT?
Search the archives, the cars are more reliable than BMW but if you run into an abused example, they can be expensive.

4. Will I be happy with a TT?
Only you an can answer this one.

5. Are the TT's reliable?
See 3 above. I haven't seen electronic issues, oil/tranny leaks, radiator failures, water pump failures, alternator failures, etc. which I've seen with my BMW (all under warranty thankfully).

6. Does the CPO cover the same as a new car warranty?
Pales by comparison. Many find it gives them peace of mind when purchasing; that the car has jumped some quality hurdle to become certified, but beyond that it doesn't cover as much as some aftermarket warranties.

I love my 540i Sport (Not an M5 by any stretch) but it is not the same driving experience as the TT. I prefer both. Have fun with the test drive and let us know how they compare for you.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:36 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Adam,
I keep both a 2002X50 and a 2000 E55 Benz. I can't speak to the qualities of your BMW, but on the sedan vs. tt issue, there are differences.
In my opinion, the sedan will be the more comfortable highway car. For longer interstate drives, it will be quieter, softer, and probably less tiring. Those drives are pretty boring anyway, and there are few opportunities to use the tt handling as a means of enjoyment.
For foul weather, the tt is unparallelled, and I would pick it, even for the interstate (especially for the interstate), as it allows you to drive instead of hold on.
For roads with any curves, the tt is much more enjoyable.
Things you have to get over with a tt:
1. Drive it in all weather
2. Get winter tires and rims
3. Let the valet park it
4. Getting it dirty or salty doesn't hurt it
5. The rear tires wear out pretty fast
6. They last a long time, so you might not be swapping cars as often. AS
Old 08-21-2007, 10:00 AM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

First off, I think the 996TT is a fantastic car. No doubt about it. I had never driven a turbo charged car of any kind before I bought the 996TT...nor did I ever own an AWD car before. I will tell you it is a different driving experience and was one that I couldn't get warm and fuzzy about. I prefer NA cars and RWD. Definately do a test drive in one very soon to make sure you like the feel of AWD and Turbo charged before you do anymore homework. Another thing, you will be taking a step down in terms of interior quality from your M5 to the 996TT. That wasn't much of a factor to me but it may be to you.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:15 AM
dave1200
Pro

go drive one.. youll know what to do.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:24 AM
pilot996
Intermediate

Default Came from a MB e63 amg and....

No looking back. The e63 was FAST in a straight line, but handling, even after they made it more like a m5 from the e55, still wasn't all there. Less communication with driver and heavy as hell. I rationalized the purchase of the e63 as it being a sports car and a luxury car that treats you right on long drives. The long drives part is true, the MB is real nice on a long haul. But sports cars deserve to be edgy and a little unreasonable.

The AWD is really confidence inspiring- I can't believe how well it grips the pavement, even under moderate-heavy throttle in a turn. Less body roll and she really jumps out of the hole quick. I guess the epiphany I had a few months ago was... I'll make enough compromises in life, but not with my sports car.

the e63 was a real nice looking car, but not drop dead gourgeous. Looks like to many other e-classes. And above all, when I look at the TT from behind, it's like I'm looking at a beautiful woman's as$.

Just buy the right car(x50 also) Adam and you'll never look back.

DW
Old 08-21-2007, 04:08 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

I traded in an '05 Carrera S and an '03 Jaguar S-Type R (supercharged) on my '03 Turbo. Even though the Carrera was fast and the Jag had 400hp there is NO comparison between those cars and the turbo. You'll know what I mean when you drive the turbo. And then there's the mods you can do...

Quick Reply: Would I be happy with a 996TT coming from a 2006 M5?