Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultimate Motorwerks new Stage 3 "A" and "B" tuning kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 07:12 PM
KPG
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin, it has been a privilege to be a launch customer for your stg4 and to have experienced all that has gone into the stg3 and the stg4. I know this kit will be a success for you and will redefine much thinking in the 996 turbo world as it relates to turbo lag, efficiency and compromise(or lack thereof ). Many will be able to purchase these kits but the UMW "experience" for Tom and I will go far beyond parts, turbos and dyno sheets. To be able to speak to you on a regular basis about these parts and the design and theory behind them has been priceless.I know this has been stressful on all involved but the fruits of your labor will be the greatest reward. It is comforting to know that during this whole build up a shortcut or a deviation from your engine and turbo philosophy was never taken. Stg3 has raised the benchmark. Too bad it wont last long....Stg4 will cast a real long shadow Be good my friend and congrats on a job well done.Kevin
Old 08-05-2007, 01:04 AM
joetwint
Advanced

Looks very nice fellas.Kevin congrats on some great numbers and a class A kit.The attention to detail is awesome........love the new intake plenum you fabbed leading to the turbos.........beats putting the filters in the fenderwells.Can't wait to see these stage 4's come to life.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Tom996
Intermediate

Joe, you will be my number one passenger......Soon
Old 08-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

I have attached one of the dyno sheets. Ultimate Motorwerks does have its own dyno, and does all of its in house testing on a DynaPack 4000. This is a hub mounted dyno that pulls out the tire factor out of the mix. With that said, I don't want this kit to based off of the numbers, I want it based off of the quality, the machine work the engineering that has gone in to it. When people ask what the output is, lets just say that it will lay done the numbers what I produced.

I do not want this to be a debate as to which dyno is the best, or which other tuners kit is better or did better. I request for people "not to" hi-jack this thread. This run was backed up over and over. It was not a 6or 8 second run. It was greater.. The fuel grade was Chevron west coast pump 92 octane fuel. There was no octane boosters or any previous high octane race gas in the tank. This engine has stock internals and stock rods and heads. The outdoor temps for these runs were in the mid 80's in Seattle.

With that said, this package is designed to run very efficient turbochargers. It is my opinion/design to create as much boost as soon as possible.. This will generate the low end torque needed. It is the flow improvements that I have designed to keep this package building HP to redline and past.. I have wound this engine to 7400RPM's I have thrashed this engine with all sorts of steady state tuning and crazy sustained RPM runs.. With the race gas programs I have limited the requested torque to keep from destroying the rods.. Clearly this package needs rods if one wants to maximize the high topend HP(hence Stage "B").. If one looks real close you will see the stock boost hoses. These are the late style hoses or updated hoses that Porsche has released to replace the early failed hoses.

All in all, in the end this kit will be measured out on the streets and race track. It has been my desire to bring the most complete engineered tuning packages to the market while paving the way for my Stage 4 kit.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:48 PM
cpu77
Instructor

Kevin,

Your making those numbers up Nice job there big guy! I have alot of respect for your work. Not that I would ever tell you that. You my friend should change your first name to quality. Congrats on all the hardwork. Nice to see it paying off. I wonder if there will be a stage 5 when this is all done!
Old 08-06-2007, 12:55 AM
KPG
Pro

Kevin, congratulations on a stunning file with very broad power delivery. Clearly this graph shows the benefits of a custom turbo tailored to a specific application as opposed to an off the shelf solution that may or may not be optimized for the overall package. It looks like all the details, both large and small, in the package that were designed to produce quick throttle response down low and still carry the power high in the rev range have paid huge dividends. These power levels(750 crank) and tq(730 crank) so low in the rpm range on pump gas is practically unheard of with a “big” turbo.I cannot even imagine more tq sooner with race gas that will allow lots of timing to be dialed in. The fact that this isn’t a peaky tq curve that falls off rapidly should make for a very strong car when put to the performance tests such as the 60-130 and the ¼ mile. I went back and looked at my STG2 ZC dyno sheet and peak TQ of 565 was at 4200-4300 rpms. To think a significantly bigger turbo with more power up top will produce about 75 ft/lbs more tq 700-800 rpms sooner than the lightning spool of a STG2 ZC is mind blowing. It looks like some of the prevailing wisdom concerning compromises with turbo selection may need a rethink! Apparently, you do not have to give up much on the bottom end to achieve top end power and you need not give up top end for brutal tq down low. Also, given that this was much more than an 8 sec run it looks like this is “real” Porsche HP and TQ. Given that so much of the STG3 was validating STG4 components, I have a real good feeling about future! I am sure you cannot wait to put this new turbo technology to the test without restrictions on our built high rpm motors .Take care, Kevin

Last edited by KPG; 08-06-2007 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Tom996
Intermediate

KPG, this kit is very impressive, especially with pump fuel!!! Can't wait for stage 4, Heads, bigger turbo's & can rev to 8-9K! This is getting very interesting..But the real deal is when they hit the streets..tom
Old 08-07-2007, 03:36 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kevin - Outstanding looking kit. The fact that you design, test and build all of the components yourself is very impressive t say the least. I can't wait to see some on-street performance times.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Mike
Old 08-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

90% max torque by 3500rpm, wow. ZC is the schizzel.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

kevin, all the hardwork looks awsome. would like more info on the system.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:06 PM
KPG
Pro

Originally Posted by Oak
would like more info on the system.
It makes MAD torque...you need this
Old 08-07-2007, 08:44 PM
calturbo
Instructor

This beggggggs the question... How much for the stage 4?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

The price for Stage 4 has not be released yet. However it requires a complete engine overhaul.. I will post a "sneak peak" for the upcoming Stage 4 kit.. It consists of extensive engine case prepping, oiling mods, and windage /aero modifications. A GT3R race crankshaft was/is used and "special" UMW/Arrow rods. This means that the rods were built for this engine project with design details that I have spec'd. 9000 RPM loading requirements with some special wrist pin details. The cylinder heads have spent many months on the flow bench. Valve sizes, port sizing, to the extent of changing port angles. I own a set of GT3RSR heads these heads were flowed and information from them were incorperated into Stage 4 heads. In the end I did not chase the HIGH flow numbers.. The rule with these heads was NOT to lose any low lift or low RPM flow.

Not all is perfect when you try to develop product and projects. The heads were finished, then we had to re-do the valves from new camshaft details. You can't build cams if you don't have finished heads with flow numbers. $$$$

In the end these heads flow alot better than the stock heads AT low lift thru the midrange. I can't wait to see the early 3000 RPM peak torque numbers..

The topend of the cylinder heads consist of alot of lightweight Titanuim components, special springs, high temp inconel exhaust valves, and high flowing special alloyed intake valves.

Last edited by Kevin; 08-07-2007 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:35 PM
tradin1
Intermediate

you should be asking how much power in stage 4...thats the million dollar question!
Old 08-07-2007, 10:55 PM
calturbo
Instructor

The chart shows 620 Hp at 3500 RPM.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Motorwerks new Stage 3 "A" and "B" tuning kit