Ultimate Motorwerks new Stage 3 "A" and "B" tuning kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

I really hope Tom is reading this thread...
Old 08-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fab package with incredible research!

Great stuff Kevin, Looks fantastic!!!

Now quit lollygagging around so we can get KPG down to the Texas Mile on Oct 6/7.

Oak, like KPG said...you NEED this, "madly"

MK
Old 08-09-2007, 08:10 PM
killerbee
Advanced

The chart shows 620 Hp at 3500 RPM.
That is for stage 3b not stage 4.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:11 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

You're defenitely the man when it comes to these turbo packages, no doubt.

MIke
Old 08-10-2007, 07:00 PM
M-Phibian
Instructor

Congratulations, Kevin! Your setup looks awesome! Glad to see that things are coming along so well.

Scott / Divexxtreme
Old 08-13-2007, 02:07 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts

Thanks guys, I'll be adding more pics.

Last edited by Kevin; 09-04-2007 at 01:31 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:14 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

620@3500 is truly awesome! congrats kevin.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:10 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here are a few pictures showing the new connecting rods in Stage 3 "b". These rods are manufactured by Arrow for the 996TT as a drop in replacement of the stock rods.

This shows the stock 996TT against the forged, lightweight Arrow rod..

Side by side..

Last edited by Kevin; 09-04-2007 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:35 PM
killerbee
Advanced

Clearly the heads/valve train have to be removed to swap the rods. But can the rods be replaced without splitting the cases ? Are there any other items that can be addressed once the engine is at this level of disassembly ?
Old 09-05-2007, 12:00 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/322982-diy-996tt-connecting-rod-replacement.html

Balance the pistons and ceramic coating for them. Interesting note with the coatings. Porsche has coated the 993TT pistons AND the racing GT3R pistons.. But have skimped a bit with spending money on it's flagship product.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Kevin,

How would you compare these Arrow Rods to
1) Carillo Rods
2) Pauter Rods

MK
Old 09-05-2007, 02:31 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

woody, I was going to ask the same question. kevin?
Old 09-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Clearly in life we make decisions. One person might buy a Chevy or a Toyota for a family hauler. I will use this as an example. We can use the same methods in buying a watch. One watch might be worn everyday and a special one for Sunday church or going out for dinner. Everyone has there own personal decision. Choosing a tuner and person to give your monies to will also fall in this decision process.

I have always strived to provide the very best product and to offer the "best" than one can offer with matching customer service. To make this more Personal.. In my life, I believe in a guy that sits upstairs, I put my family next, then comes the "Porsche" experience, the madness that I have had for more than 25 years. Manufacturing Porsche widgets.. I share this excitement and passion to every person that calls me or emails me.

Other secondary passion for me is wrestling (now thru teaching this sport as a coach to kids in my local school district), Nebraska football (maybe we can win the Big 12 north this year), and finally audio video/theater gear (transitioning into tube gear)..

I have spent this time on the keyboard to instill some reasons as to why I make the decisions that I do. So with that said here is my answer.

I like Carrillo rods, I have used and sold them, I feel that they have lost some of their customer service since they have been bought by the Dover group. I have asked them to make me custom rods and to work with me on specs and different design details that I want in a connecting rod. I wanted the "custom tailored suit" for a critical component that I would sell and use in my own engines.. This information and ala'carte design isn't there. For instance the Carrillo rods are heavier due to there casting. I want a lighter but yet stronger rod. I think that they are a great rod, but I wanted a better rod, and to get that rod I would have to "pay" more money to get it.

Since Pauter was brought up, I have also used them and known them since they use to build me welded/stroked crankshafts 20 plus years ago. It is my opinion that most people buy the Pauter rod because of the price point. Being that I would/have purchased Carrillo rods in the past, it comes down to a Chevy vs Ford thing..

However, when someone likes the little details of precision grinding all critical surfaces on a connecting rod vs other rod manufactures that don't do this. When someone request full pin oiling on the wrist pin, Arrow delivers. Please look at the wrist pin (small) end of the rod. You can see the internal radial groove in the bronze bushing. This will supply oil 360 degrees around the wrist pin. Every rod is laser etched and supplied with a number. And to top it off, they are lighter rod for rod. If we are striving to up the RPM on each engine a lighter rotating assy will pay dividend in bearing wear down the road. In the end one has to appreciate the quality. I for one will spend more money on a precision crafted connecting rod and have put my money out to stock them on my shelf.

Last edited by Kevin; 09-05-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:54 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default UMW sneak peek "Lightweight Race Exhaust"

As the power has increased with my new Stage 3 and Stage 4. I am also increasing the RPM with Stage 3 "B" and Stage 4. My exhaust system choices have lacked. As people know I strongly support and recommend the Europipe. However, I have had to look at alternative 3" exhaust systems. The prototype and test units will be pictures shortly.

I have worked with a muffler fabricator that has built me these fine 3" full flow mufflers. Space is at a premium. Trying to fit the very large 130mm 100 cell cats and (4 each) of these mufflers while retaining 3" tubing is a remarkable feat. The packing material in the mufflers is designed for high heat turbo applications. One is also able to remove the material to vary the tone.

It's tough to control drone on a 3" race muffler, trying to get flow and tone is going to be a high/lofty aspiration.

Here are some of the basic components of the system..

I need to extend a gracious Thank you to one of my customers in Cali who will be trial running a system at the same time I will be running my "test" unit on the new engine. When it has run thru the shake down cruise down south, I'm sure that he will step out of the closet to unveil the new unit.

If anyone is interested and/or might have questions let me know..

Last edited by Kevin; 09-06-2007 at 02:45 AM.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Woodster
Drifting

Kevin,

Thank you for your expert opinion on this matter, it is valuable and appreciated.
You obviously have done alot of research on this very matter.

Sincerely,

Marty K.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Motorwerks new Stage 3 "A" and "B" tuning kit