Sponsored by:

PSM & ABS failure warning??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:21 AM
Lewbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSM & ABS failure warning??

I have been getting a warning coming up on the display " PSM/ABS failure - drive to workshop" at the same time the engine idle starts to become eratic +/- 500 RPM, but after I come to a stop, switch off the ignition and restart the car everything seems ok no warning or checks come up then a few days later the same thing happens. The ABS and PSM are working fine before the warning appears - anyone have the same problem - seems to be electrical.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:06 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Likely to be a blown MAF. However, get the codes read and post them so that more knowledgeable people here can help you.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

MAF has most likely failed, just like John has mentioned...
Old 05-29-2007, 05:12 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Lewbo, The gentlemen above are most likely correct with their guess at MAF. What is your car and mods. John is also right about getting the codes read...There are a number of things that throw the ABS/PSM...that have nothing to do with ABS/PSM.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Lewbo
Intermediate

Default PSM &ABS Failure warning

Yeh that would make sence, I have recently changed to a K&N panel filter and replaced the diverter valves (Forge) so where do I go from here if the MAF is screwed - where can I buy a replacement from - I live in Abu Dhabi in the middle east and spares are not to easy to get a hold of - perhaps on line? Also how can I tell the difference between a blown MAF and one that only requires a clean with brake clearer?
Old 05-30-2007, 04:17 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Remove your K&N air filter, that is the first thing you need to do. Put a new factory paper element in.

If your Porsche dealership doesn't have the part, call a US Porsche dealer or one in Europe.. Cleaning will now cure the problem. The sensor has degraded.. Cleaning it with solvent is a bandaid fix..
Old 05-30-2007, 04:41 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Seems like it might be more expensive to get to you, but these guys have always taken care of me if you can't find anywhere closer to you.

www.sunsetimports.com
Old 05-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Lewbo
Intermediate

OK, ordered a new bosch MAS sensor and paper filter online - once again many thanks for the help - it's nice to get direct info from people who know what their talking about, so looks like the K&N was the problem, so there any safe way to improve the intake over the OEM paper filter? Thanks again Lewbo.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:25 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

did you ever get the fault codes?
it may not be a maf if you lowered the engine to change the diverters you may have pulled the lower boost hoses off the turbos,
if you didnt porperly seal the diverter valves you could have an air leak casuing the maf to think its blown
Old 05-31-2007, 03:36 AM
Lewbo
Intermediate

OK I'll check the D-valves to see their not leaking - again this sounds like it might be the cause as if I drive the car carefully - low boost pressures - it seems to be ok no warnings coming up, I would think if the MAF has blown then it would come up with a warning right from starting the car. Also I'm looking at purchasing the FVD OBD diagnostic software/cable, this will save me going to the dealer for this type of stuff, I'm still interested in their new complete DME unit with stage one software - I like the idea as I don't want to mess around with the stock DME, would it be a problem to run a stock air filter with the higher boost pressures of the stage 1 software?
Old 05-31-2007, 03:54 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Lewbo here is a tip for diagnostic software.. www.durametric.com Don't waste your money on anyting else..

Why remove your stock DME, when you can program right thru your OBD2 port??

Why lose the ability to run your stock program??

You can run your stock filter at 1bar.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:17 AM
Lewbo
Intermediate

Default Software upgrade

If I go for programming through the OBD 2 port, which software would you recommend, I've looked at Revo which I can get done locally here - is there anyway I can buy software online and upload it myself? - slighty confused about the flash loader stuff and how it works.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:25 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Lewbo

I have the hardware and software to load multiple programs thru your OBD2 port remotely.

PM or Email me...
Old 05-31-2007, 09:35 AM
MGS996
Racer

Lewbo, I recently purchased the hardware/software package from Kevin (UMW)....highly recommended !!! Loading is the easy part, no more than 3 minutes !!
Old 05-31-2007, 10:10 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

If the issue corrects itself....i.e. no CE light.......it's doubtful you will have any normal OBD II codes to read.
There are at least 20 (stupid) things that could have been the cause (including that last fill having bad gas winter-to-summer change-over).......MAF may, or may not be your issue.

Quick Reply: PSM & ABS failure warning??