Sponsored by:

Ultimate Motorwerks Brake Duct Kit for 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 01:23 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
a front mounted duct that runs from the front face of the bumper thru the internal void between the bumper and inner fender liner. Passes alot of air.
This makes sense. What concerns me is the distance between the duct outlet and the rotor. It seems like the duct just puts air in the general vicinity of the brakes, as opposed to a concentrated, directed stream at the rotor a la ducts connected to backing plates like this:

Could you comment, Kevin?
Old 05-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

A few folks have installed rotor/shields like this. If you install this there will be tire and suspension clearance issues that need to be resolved. The placement of the Sportec duct kit will have to be changed to allow for a connecting hose.. One really has to choose which system they want.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 79 Posts

WOW, $1200 for THAT?

I can tell you guys that my $120 kit has noticably reduced the temps on my pads/ rotors, based on the amount of squeal the pads are now making vs. pre-install. I'll get temp readings at the June 9/10 PCA event at Summit Point. Mine sit in the factory channels and direct the air straight to the rotor/spindle duct with ZERO drilling through and of the plastic.

I'm NOT a vendor and NOT trying to "stir the pot", but just trying to mention a cost effective solution I think will be a much better solution.

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 05-18-2007 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

A few folks have installed rotor/shields like this. If you install this there will be tire and suspension clearance issues that need to be resolved. The placement of the Sportec duct kit will have to be changed to allow for a connecting hose.. One really has to choose which system they want.
If you can't get the fresh air to the rotor, I'd not waste my time installing ducts, period.

A prospective buyer would be much better off going with your yellow brake kit, Kevin. It's a MUCH better solution, and a great price, if I do say so myself.

Just my $.02!
Mike
Old 05-17-2007, 07:46 PM
roadsterdoc
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I can tell you guys that my $120 kit has noticably reduced the temps on my pads/ rotors, based on the amount of squeel the pads are now making vs. pre-install.
What is the correlation between temperature and squeal?
Old 05-18-2007, 05:21 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Email me with all your info... Also please pick which color rings you want....
Kevin, what are the color options?
Old 05-18-2007, 07:15 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

The correlation, and my 20 years+ experience screwing around with brake systems and performance pads is that when driving this car with these pads over the last 3 months and 3K miles, the pads were much less noisy (I'm assuming they had just a slight amount more heat in them) on application of speeds above 60mph. The more heat I get in these Pagid Orange pads, the quieter they are and the better the initial bite, or atleast this has been my experience on and off track in this car with these pads. Now, with the duct kit I installed two weeks ago, the pads are squealing more and also have less initial bite, again assuming they are operating with a bit more air flow over the rotor/caliper, reducing temps. I'll have the car at the track on June 9/10 and will get temp readings and also gage performance. Other than bleeding the system of air, the brake ducts are the only thing I've changed on my system.

Mike
Old 05-18-2007, 10:36 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

That's an awful lot of assuming and very little data (like none) to draw any conclusions...just from scientific point of view.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....But it does make sense. I would assume if the car was driven harder than the heat range efficiency designed into the Pagid Orange, the cooling ducts would be useful to him. I would guess, given his above comments, that perhaps stock pads with the cooling ducts would would be a better combo given his driving style?

Mike
Old 05-18-2007, 12:14 PM
roadsterdoc
Advanced

My experience has been the opposite with high performance pads (Pagid Yellows, Mintex, Carbotech) on this and other cars. They are quieter when cold.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:20 PM
roadsterdoc
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mikelly
WOW, $1200 for THAT?

I can tell you guys that my $120 kit has noticably reduced the temps on my pads/ rotors, based on the amount of squeal the pads are now making vs. pre-install. I'll get temp readings at the June 9/10 PCA event at Summit Point. Mine sit in the factory channels and direct the air straight to the rotor/spindle duct with ZERO drilling through and of the plastic.

I'm NOT a vendor and NOT trying to "stir the pot", but just trying to mention a cost effective solution I think will be a much better solution.

Mike
Yeah, but it doesn't look nearly as cool. Fortunately I got a nice price a couple of years ago when a Sportec distributor went under. I'm tempted to add the rotor intakes from your setup.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:44 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wross996tt
That's an awful lot of assuming and very little data (like none) to draw any conclusions...just from scientific point of view.
Uh, yea, Just like "assuming" a "brake duct" system that doesn't route the air into the spindle/ rotor face is a good thing... But hey, what ever floats your boat for $1200.

Mike
Old 05-18-2007, 01:46 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
My experience has been the opposite with high performance pads (Pagid Yellows, Mintex, Carbotech) on this and other cars. They are quieter when cold.
My personal experience with these pagids, and maybe it was the way the previous owner bedded them, is that the harder I drive, the quieter they get... That's just my experience.

Mike
Old 05-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

if you actually take a look at how the stock spoiler vent system to the inner fender wells are designed they are pretty efficient, not much to gain with the sportec unit. the way the stock air flow is designed from the spoiler to the inner wheel well vent it is routed exactly the same path as the sportec unit . but they look cool.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

I've talked w/ several P-car specific race car builders who told me to do what I did with my setup. The "channels" provided in the stock or GT3 setups are pretty much inneffective at track capable cooling of the rotors/pads/calipers/fluid.

Mike

Quick Reply: Ultimate Motorwerks Brake Duct Kit for 996TT