Sponsored by:

So why are you selling it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So why are you selling it?

I've been lurking on the Twin Turbo board for a while. I've gone thru the desire to put a supercharger in my 99 996...and almost did it. But then I saw how the guys who wanted to supercharge their cars were using the 996tt as a standard and I thought....Why supercharge my car if we're chasing the 996tt's performance as a benchmark? Why spend more money on a NA'd car when the benchmark is sitting out there? So I've more or less decided that supercharging is out....plus the fact that in California a supercharged 996 is going to raise the ire of the DMV smog folks who will fail it on the visual inspection.

But as I've been reading the threads you 996tt folks are posting...I see you bailing out of the 996tts as evidenced by the number of them I see for sale, and the steadily declining prices they are bringing (which is putting them into my price range).

So I would like to ask you...and I'm asking in the spirit of admiration for the cars...but what is it you don't like that is causing you to off them? Is it strictly a performance issue and the lure of the enhanced performance of the next iteration? Is there anything you DONT like that I should consider before I decide to off my 996 and jump into a tt? Is there any idiosyncracy I should be aware of?

Again, I am asking this question in all sincerity because I'm really thinking about stepping up to what I've always considered as the performance benchmark. Or have I answered my own question by my desire to step out of the 3.4L into the enhanced performance of the tt? Maybe it's just a manifestation of the domino theory.

Chuck
Old 03-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 803 Likes on 369 Posts

Apples and oranges imho. 996 NA balance and response is magic, but weak. 996tt performance is heroic (especially with a stage II orIII tune), but heavy and dull.

The best of both world is 996tt pull with the 996 NA nimble response. 997 GT3 is the answer.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:59 PM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TT is the way to go.

SC is applying steroids to a mere mortal, TT is a Hercules from birth I did the same thing. 2000 3.4L to 2001 TT.

I can't claim to know why everyone is jumping out, but I know I made the right choice. The car isn't as lithe as the C2, but it's still a hell of a lot of fun, even in what few corners I've had the chance to enjoy. I don't plan to majorly mod it, but it's nice to know 500hp is just a $2k chip away. If you're an autocrosser and like light cars, it's not the right car for you, but it's also one hell of a sporty car, and just a lot of fun. I loved my 996, but wanted more power. This isn't just a regular 996 with a turbocharger on it. It's better Very similar in many regards, though. Personally, I don't feel too much difference in the steering feel. A little heavier, not really all that much. More stable at higher speeds. Engine doesn't feel like it revs as fast (that's another thing - it's not a screamer like an S2000). It's not perfect, but it's the best car I've had the opportunity to drive/own/experience. A GT3 is tempting, but the Turbo resale values made it much more affordable.

It's prettier, too. Shop and find the right one
Old 03-21-2007, 08:53 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't necessarily think that SO many people are bailing as it is that SO many were made. And the old supply/demand thing comes into play then on pricing.

I can't imagine a better car as this platform is so versatile. I've owned some 1/2 dozen P-cars in my life and this is by far the best all around car by a long shot. You can just cruise it around like a 4 door sedan as it has all the comforts of one, but when you get on it you better be holding on. And HP upgrades are so cheap (relatively speaking). My last P-car you'd have to spend $5000 to gain 15-20HP and it was a major undertaking. I spent $2000 on a flash and DV's to gain almost 100HP on this car and it was done almost completely painlessly.

Beyond all that you have made the right decision on not doing the SC for many reasons that I'm sure you have already noodled about. Go and find yourself a nice TT and you will never regret it.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:32 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 48 Posts

When I first looked at Porsches in 2002 to purchase I easily figured if I bought the C4S I would be back at the dealer in 3 months wanting a Turbo so I bought one - now own a 2003 X50 with just under 140,000 miles - trade it never - drive it like it's meant to be and never question why!! Get the turbo and be done!! T2
Old 03-21-2007, 10:54 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

A lot of cars were ordered during the dot com heyday, and since all were sold, contrary to desired opinion, supply did meet demand. However, lots of those were lease deals which matured with very high residuals, resulting in turn-ins, resulting in lots of cars on the market.
Add to that the fact that some affluent guys just like to get the newest thing, and between Ferrari, Aston, MB, Maserati, there are new things.
My ttX50 is now 4 years old, and I have no desire to sell it. It's a great daily driver, and the best foul weather car I've had. If I had a GT3, I'd still keep the tt for snow days. Now, I haven't tried a new GT3, but the old one was too compromised for my daily driving, I don't want a Ferrari due to hassle of buying a new one, and no Benz is really grabbing me. So, I'm standing pat. AS
Old 03-21-2007, 11:21 PM
LAJ_996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not selling.
the entry point is great so just buy one and be done with it
Old 03-22-2007, 12:53 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LAJ_996
I am not selling.
the entry point is great so just buy one and be done with it

Me neither, I just got my 996TT as owner #2 after a 993 C4 with 3.8L, 4S aero/turbo S aero kit body...this car is so much better IMHO. The NA engine and a super charger would be a bad idea in my book given the net gains you get getting a 996TT.

Brakes
body
spoiler in back
"having a turbo"
hollow spoke wheels (most of them)
full leather
litronics standard (I think)
GT1 BLOCK reliability!!!!!!!

Anyway, great deal if you know P cars. I did what I suggest to you: I bought one.

My take, lots of leases are up. Not more complex than that. They like the newest model, to change cars, to have a warranty. I wish I had that kind of money to give away.

Because this is a lot of money to me, but my dream, keeping it is my plan.

JB
Old 03-22-2007, 01:08 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

SC on a NA is a bad idea, terrible resale value, who would really want one (unless it's a Ruf)?
With the money you'd spend, plus selling your car, your 75% of the way to a really nice TT.
Get the TT, I've seen a number of sweet deals on 993TT and 996TT's while waiting for my 997TT, almost jumped twice. Get the TT, no comparison to a na wannabe sc (sorry sc guys, jmo).
Old 03-22-2007, 02:13 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from a 95 993 to a 03 996ttx50 (CPO barely 2,600 on the OD). I test drove quite a few NA 996 but didn't get the same grin factor as the 993. The NA 996 felt too insulated and not enough of a power increase to warrant buying up. Seems like some Acura DNA got mixed into the Porsche DNA. I considered a 996GT3 which has the grin factor but hard to find a clean one with the rare sunroof option. The 996tt has the hp to make you smile, although not crasy about the interior (I miss the real VDO gauges and HVAC controls only Einstein could figure out). The ride height should be lower but that's an easy to mod. The abundance of clean 996tt could be the result of overproduction in the dot.com boom as while as the arrival of the 997tt. I looked at 997tt but the price difference over a slightly used 996tt is in excess of 50k its hard to justify. Get the 996tt that somebody else already took the big depreciation hit on.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:38 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Apples and oranges imho. 996 NA balance and response is magic, but weak. 996tt performance is heroic (especially with a stage II orIII tune), but heavy and dull.

The best of both world is 996tt pull with the 996 NA nimble response. 997 GT3 is the answer.
Correction, GT2 is the way to go
Old 03-22-2007, 01:48 PM
AG996LV
Advanced

I agree with the rest of the guys here. I had a 996 cab that I thought about SC'ing, but after the added cost, it still wouldn't be a TT. I just traded it in for a TT and completely love the car. Plus the potential for more power is there if you want to change a few things. GT2 it the best, but a modded TT can be a fun car for a great value.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Thanks for the input guys...I'm soaking it all in. It seems that there are some great values on the tt's these days...a situation that's likely to get even better for a buyer....unfortunately that equates to worse for the sellers. But I'm experiencing that in the value of my 996 also...the values are dropping rather quickly.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Chuck,
I had a 99 996 briefly.
Buy a Twin Turbo, it would be impossible to regret, especially at current prices.

MK
Old 03-23-2007, 01:22 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Ok...you folks who drive them....what is the going rate...let's say median price....for a nicely optioned 02 to 03 996tt...something around 25-35K miles or less....understanding that I would be buying from a Porsche afficianado (Rennlister or PCA type) who had the paperwork to back up his claim for a nicely maintained car. Hell, I'd even buy one that had been driven in the rain....but after reading all those reports about "garaged and never driven in the rain"...it might be hard to find a wet one.

Quick Reply: So why are you selling it?