Sponsored by:

What should I expect from.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts
Question What should I expect from.......

I recently called the Porsche dealer to inquire about the trade in value of my 21,000 mile '03 non X50 for a new 997TT. When I was given a sight unseen range of 63K to 73K, I decided I would burn the car to the ground before giving it away to a dealer for such a low figure.

Rather than spend 60-70K for a new 997TT, I decided to add the following:

1. Europipe 2 Quiet,
2. GIAC Stage 2 flash, diverter valves, K&N air filter and wastegate "adjustment.

I track my car 3-4 times per year. I'm not looking for huge amounts of top end power. I place a higher value on throttle response and torque. Give me those great big bags of grunt coming off the corner. I would like a nicer sounding exhaust, but I don't want any drooooooooooooning.

For others who have made such changes, what can I expect?

I've already done the brakes, fluid, racing seat, 6 point harnesses, PSS9 things.

Thanks,
Old 01-16-2007, 04:11 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Its a typical 490-500 crank HP car now. Should be neck & neck with a stock 997TT, assuming the new car weighs a little more than yours.

I'm like you, there is no way the total ownership difference should be approaching $70k. I'd much rather have my car PLUS a choice of:

Ferrari 348 spyder
Ferrari 355b
1963-1967 Corvette
1987-1989 911 Turbo Cabriolet (yum, yum)
2002-2003 Maserati Spider
2004 Viper black Mamba

The freakin list just goes on and on.........
Old 01-16-2007, 07:01 PM
George@Revo Technik
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S

I've already done the brakes, fluid, racing seat, 6 point harnesses, PSS9 things.
Thanks,
If you would like to consider Revo Technik, our software for the 996 will net approximately 505HP at the crank. It's fully flash loaded so there is no need to pull the ECU and send it out. Depending on where you are located, I can direct you to your local authorized tuning center. If you're not totally convinced, you can opt for our exclusive free 5-hour trial. Simply have the software installed, drive it for 5-hours and after that, the car reverts to stock on it's own.

The software is fully adjustable using our optional SPS-Select Plus tuning device. One can also create and save 3 different performance 'Profiles' in the user programmable functions.

The Select Plus software suite also includes a data acquisition and logging utility that allows one to actually see in real time, how the changes to the software affect the performance.

The logs are saved as a .CSV so you can export them to Excell and create a graph (below) or just view them in spreadsheet format.

This functionality is built into the software itself; you simply need the SPS device to access it.

We'll be making a more formal announcement on these new switches shortly.

Last edited by George@Revo Technik; 01-17-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:26 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Not sure if this helps but when I ordered my 997TT I nearly bought an 04 TT that was on the lot with all the options...pccb, PSE, etc., etc, it had 11K miles and sold for $80K.

I agree though...save the cash and buy a 60s Vette.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:49 PM
Woodster
Drifting

If your car has always been stock boost and exhuast, You will really enjoy the new found
tourquiness of the ECU upgrade and EP2 quiet (no rezz). I was astounded the very first day
at how much harder the car pulled with an ECU change. I also tracked my car before/after
and really liked it better after.

Marty K.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:43 PM
mikerosi
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by George@Revo Technik
If you would like to consider Revo Technik, our software for the 996 will net approximately 505WHP. It's fully flash loaded so there is no need to pull the ECU and send it out. Depending on where you are located, I can direct you to your local authorized tuning center. If you're not totally convinced, you can opt for our exclusive free 5-hour trial. Simply have the software installed, drive it for 5-hours and after that, the car reverts to stock on it's own.

The software is fully adjustable using our optional SPS-Select Plus tuning device. One can also create and save 3 different performance 'Profiles' in the user programmable functions.

The Select Plus software suite also includes a data acquisition and logging utility that allows one to actually see in real time, how the changes to the software affect the performance.

The logs are saved as a .CSV so you can export them to Excell and create a graph (below) or just view them in spreadsheet format.

This functionality is built into the software itself; you simply need the SPS device to access it.

We'll be making a more formal announcement on these new switches shortly.
Hey George, no offence but there is no way you`re going to get 505HP at the wheels for a non X50 car. Maybe 500 crank HP like Giacc, Upsolute etc.....What`s up with your Dyno? Protomotive gets 521HP AT the wheels but you need hybrid K24`s % bar FPR and wastegates!!!! But if you can garantee 505 with just a flash, I will buy stock in your company!!
Old 01-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Tone
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you have a nice car Fred. I'm in the market for a similar one and see the cars SELLING (not list) in upper 60's to low 70's.
Not saying you should give yours away, but I believe the site unseen quote is pretty generous considering dealer markup, cost of their capital & sales tax savings (if aplc) to a new car....

I recently called the Porsche dealer to inquire about the trade in value of my 21,000 mile '03 non X50 for a new 997TT. When I was given a sight unseen range of 63K to 73K, I decided I would burn the car to the ground before giving it away to a dealer for such a low figure.

Rather than spend 60-70K for a new 997TT, I decided to add the following:

1. Europipe 2 Quiet,
2. GIAC Stage 2 flash, diverter valves, K&N air filter and wastegate "adjustment.

I track my car 3-4 times per year. I'm not looking for huge amounts of top end power. I place a higher value on throttle response and torque. Give me those great big bags of grunt coming off the corner. I would like a nicer sounding exhaust, but I don't want any drooooooooooooning.

Thanks,
Old 01-16-2007, 09:58 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Must admit Fred you are doing the right thing with your car.
Also should say I have had many interactions with George of REVO with software (stage 2) and he and his product have been awesome. I cant vouch for dyno sheet though.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:22 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

I place a higher value on throttle response and torque....For others who have made such changes, what can I expect?
The best throttle response mod is a lightweight flywheel.

You'll like the improvements with those upgrades, although I think you should consider the EP2 Loud. IMO if you add the LWFW, a B&M shifter, and X73 suspension to your list of mods you'll have a great all-around street/track package.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:41 PM
KPG
Pro

Originally Posted by Dock
The best throttle response mod is a lightweight flywheel.
I find myself in the strange position of agreeing with Dock , but I have to say my LWFW is priceless on the roadcourse. The downsides are overblown in my opinion. Kevin
Old 01-16-2007, 11:15 PM
red993tt
Racer

I have the exact mods you listed for my GT2 with the exception that I have Kevin's ( UMW) programming instead of GIAC. My recent dyno shows 620hp+ to the crank. Note the very wide torque band.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:21 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

Doc,

"Been there.........done some of that". My previous 911 was a 993C4S. I had a failure of a dowel pin on the reverse selector arm that necessitated opening the transmission to make the repair. I had Brain Copans regear 2-6, add Porsche Motorsports steel synchros, and put in back in with a LWFW and RS clutch. It was the sweetest transmission I have ever driven (40 years). That lil' upgrade ran about $6K but whose counting.

I've got to disagree with you on the X73. I was one of the early folks who tried this about the time it became available thru Carnewal. I knew with 10 minutes of leaving the shop that the ride was just too stiff for my old bones. Heck, I was flinching at shadows cast by telephone poles as I braced for the jolt. Between the lousy streets in my area, and my soft backside, I just couldn't take it. Sold it for about 50 cents on the dollar. But a lesson was learned. I'm quite happy with my PSS9's. They suit MY needs just fine. Perhaps not the solution for everyone.

I'm looking for a bit more performance at the bottom end, a nicer exhaust note, and the quicker throttle response of the K16's vs K24's. I think I'll be happy with the results, and it's a whole lot cheaper than a 997TT. I'll probably get another 2 years out of the car before boredom sets in again. Hopefully the PDK transmission will be out by then and I'll have at least some technical reason to upgrade to a new TT.

Cheers,
Old 01-16-2007, 11:36 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fred, I share your sentiments on the resale values of the 996 TT. I too was considering trading in my Turbo S since I have an RS coming in a few weeks and had the same reaction. So I'm keeping the S...took out the roll bar, race seats, and other track gear and reverted it back to "street". However, I've kept the X73 and the Europipe 2 Quiet. Sorry to hear you find the ride too harsh, but the Europipe just sounds and breathes better with age...has 27k miles on it.

ECU and LWFW upgrades...the guys here likely know a lot more and are on the money.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:17 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stef from Europipe tell me boost comes on about 500 RPM sooner with the EP2L. This is a nice addition to the power curve.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:40 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

I've got to disagree with you on the X73... I knew with 10 minutes of leaving the shop that the ride was just too stiff for my old bones.... But a lesson was learned. I'm quite happy with my PSS9's. They suit MY needs just fine. Perhaps not the solution for everyone.
I remember now your previous experience with X73 (maybe from another forum).

I've had X73 on my Turbo for over 2 1/2 years and have loved every mile with it...as you correctly said, different strokes for different folks.

Quick Reply: What should I expect from.......