Sponsored by:

Garage lift Scissors Type

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage lift Scissors Type

Does anyone here use a scissors type hydraulic lift? They are on sale at http://www.americanautomotiveequipme...oductCode=PMR6. This model looks attractive to me but I have a couple of questions for any knowledgeable person on the board:

1. The technical information says it has a 5.5" lowered height....does this mean my car has to be 5.5" + to clear? I'm not sure I'll make that.
2. Do the legs move back and forth over the floor as it raises and lowers? I am not sure that is such a good deal as I can see scrapes and scratches should they do so.

I'd be grateful for any other information that a fellow poster may have!
Old 12-06-2006, 08:56 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is this what you are describing?
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/312941-my-new-old-lift.html
Old 12-06-2006, 09:58 PM
Westwood
Intermediate

Actually I just picked one up like Sandoval did from Craig's list for $500. Our type is only 4" height so it is OK with Turbo's. Ours will only lift approx 24-30" depending on manufacturer.

The scissor type is probably going to be too tall? I am sure my Aerokit will not clear it, not to mention the undercarriage. The scissors type have wheels on one set of uprights which roll on the floor when raising and lowering. Of course the benefit would be approximately 52" of lift depending on manufacturer again. Perhaps you could put some wood ramps prior to getting on the hoist to drive up on and minimize the overall height? Should work.

Roger
Old 12-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys! And I forgot about that thread recently with the re-built unit.....I even had responded to that, oh well!

Westwood; which type do you have that has the 4" clearance? I don't need a greater lift I suppose than the 24-30" you are describing. I only found the scissor lift by looking on the internet.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:04 PM
Westwood
Intermediate

Mine is a Western Hoist from California. There are many manufacturers out there and some of them are on Ebay. If you get a good buy on a scissor type I would go for it and put down a couple of 2 X 12's as ramps on each side.

Check Craigs list for Lifts or Hoists and you will probably find a used one like Sandoval & I did. Ours are a low/mid lift like some tire shops and body shops use.

Good luck shopping,

Roger
Old 12-08-2006, 11:11 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

That style lift seems like it would be in the way all the time when trying to be under the car, no?
Old 12-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Garey Cooper
Does anyone here use a scissors type hydraulic lift? They are on sale at http://www.americanautomotiveequipme...oductCode=PMR6. This model looks attractive to me but I have a couple of questions for any knowledgeable person on the board:

1. The technical information says it has a 5.5" lowered height....does this mean my car has to be 5.5" + to clear? I'm not sure I'll make that.
2. Do the legs move back and forth over the floor as it raises and lowers? I am not sure that is such a good deal as I can see scrapes and scratches should they do so.

I'd be grateful for any other information that a fellow poster may have!
I have one like the one listed in the link you posted. Pretty good. I did have to build ramps to clear the car. And since I tiled the garage floor I was worried about the rollers breaking the tiles so I placed some flat steel under the rollers just in case. That worked well.

If you do not have clearance problems (ceiling height of at least 9-10' or more) I suggest you go with a two-post asymmetric unit. You can find those for about the same price and they provide complete access to all the areas in the car.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:00 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Gracias Jaime! That looks like a nice set up. The problem for me on the two post and four post lifts is two fold; low ceiling (~98") and a post tensioned concrete slab.......I'm not supposed to drill ANY holes in the slab. So I'm looking at the scissors model like you have or a mid-rise...

Considerations so far are that the scissors type look like they lift vertically, the drawback is that one of the leg sets must roll across the floor to lift.

The mid-rise don't drag a "leg" but they actually move forward or backward about 14 to 15 inches in the lifting portion as they raise up.

I really like your solution with the metal strips and the ramps to get the car up and over the middle.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Are you going to use the lift for storage only?
If so, a single post lift has a very low floor loading and does not require drilling.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

ITC, what is a single post lift? I've probably seen one in my searches but I don't recognize the term....right now I am leaning toward Jaime's solution in my case. I won't be using it for storage, just to work on the cars. I can't go too high because of a low roof, around 8 1/2 feet is all I have perhaps less because of the opener.

Question for Wachuko; what is the brand of lift that you did purchase sir? And, about what did you pay for it? If you don't mind my asking.......
Old 12-11-2006, 11:00 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

ITC, what is a single post lift? I've probably seen one in my searches but I don't recognize the term....
http://www.werther.com/werther/auto/lifts/duplex.html
Not designed for maintenance, merely for storage.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

ITC, what is a single post lift? I've probably seen one in my searches but I don't recognize the term....right now I am leaning toward Jaime's solution in my case. I won't be using it for storage, just to work on the cars. I can't go too high because of a low roof, around 8 1/2 feet is all I have perhaps less because of the opener.

Question for Wachuko; what is the brand of lift that you did purchase sir? And, about what did you pay for it? If you don't mind my asking.......

All info and more photos here: Mid-raise lift

Delivered to my home in Orlando, FL - US$1,400.00 + 98.05 to have the truck that came home with a lift... 1200lbs delivery weight...

Quick Reply: Garage lift Scissors Type