Sponsored by:

Authority Chip

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 10:52 AM
moliandsam
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Authority Chip

According to Autothority literature, its stage 1 chip increases hp by 60 and torque by 70 lbs. Does anyone have any experience with this chip? Is this kind of performance improvement real, without doing damage over time? Thanks!
Old 02-18-2002, 08:31 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
It is, of course, a reprogrammed ECU.... can't chip a TT. Is the $5500 a current price? (seems a bit high compared to others). GreggT
Old 02-19-2002, 09:25 AM
moliandsam
Track Day

Gregg, the reprogram is posted at $5500. When I called to check the price, I was told $4995 less less 10% for PCA members, bringing it to $4500. I think there may be more wiggle room. Steve
Old 02-19-2002, 05:54 PM
y2khardtop
Instructor

Speaking of chips, anybody heard of Upsolute. This Austrian company appearantly does a lot of tuning, but is just getting into Porsches. They claim that they have a program for the Porsche TT (although it is not listed on their website), but they only want $300!!!!!!

Is it too good to be true, or should I jump on it. The US distributor just happens to be about 45min from me!

Dave

<a href="http://www.upsolute.com/" target="_blank">http://www.upsolute.com/</a>
Old 02-19-2002, 07:15 PM
emorgan
Advanced

Have they reprogrammed an ecu for a tt yet? If so try to get his name and email from them and lets look into it!!
Old 02-19-2002, 07:49 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Hey, "jump on it" Dave...have your car Dyno'd...get the $300 kit...have it dyno'd again....post the results here....we'll all thank you for your public service...honest we will.

Seriously...sounds like 'snake oil'. Just not that easy to mess w/this engine. Lets see, R.Group starts at around $3000 for the Unichip, EVO starts at around $3500, I believe Roock would sell a reprogramed ECU (w/exchange) for about same.....really doubt there's any run-away deals out there. Your budget s/be $3k to $15k. But hey, ya never know......and like I say, we'd all thank ya....count on it. GreggT
Old 02-19-2002, 11:12 PM
cobra06
Pro

Funny thing about the unichip, i talked to a new distributor of the unichip system that is local to me. He said the unichip is $595.00 and about $300.00 dyno/tuning time. I think there is a fair amount of markup on the tuning of these cars. I'm staying stock for now until I get enough feedback from others.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:26 PM
y2khardtop
Instructor

They claim to have done one in Europe, but need to get the numbers from my car and make sure the program is the same in US trim. The US rep is travelling this week, but I am going to get with him next week and try them out.

I don't have access to an awd dyno, but have an in-car acceleration dyno that I built with an old g-analyst. It is very accurate and repeatable, however the gross numbers are slightly lower due to wind and rolling resistance.

Don't worry, I'll post details as soon as I get them.

Dave
Old 02-20-2002, 04:09 AM
Flat6
Intermediate

Hmmm...

RE: UniChip... I got a similar price (around a thousand CDN if I remember) for the Unichip also... and the dyno time is $100CDN an hour.

RE: AWD Dyno... I am very sure you only have to disconnect the from drive shaft... the power split (Viscous Coupler unit) is at the front of the car, meaning that the front shaft and rear diff get exactly the same power... the 5%-40% lockup is taken care of outside the tranny.

Flat6
Old 02-20-2002, 06:39 AM
cobra06
Pro

RE: Upsolute programming
I found this on the Upsolute discussion board, in ref. to the 996 TT
There was also mention of a reomte swiitch to change between stock and modified. Seems too good to be true for $300.00, but its only software....
Dave which local rep are you using? I saw one in Va. that I may call today for some info.

"Yes, we have a file for this car, however the oem file needs to be read and sent to us. The ECU is changed very often on these models, so it will not be a 'one stop' operation. First the file will be read, and after a few days, you can come back for the upgraded chip. This ensures to get out the best possible solution (and not to put in any chip for this car, even if it works, it will not produce the best possible performance)."
Old 02-20-2002, 11:42 AM
y2khardtop
Instructor

I wnet straight to the North American Director Rene Berube, who happens to be here in the Charlotte area. He is down in Atlanta training a new facility this week, but plans on checking my car out next week.

Dave
Old 02-20-2002, 03:24 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
From my experience with the Upsolute chips is from many of the guys with turbo VW's that have a surging problems with Upsolute chips. They have released chips that have had problems, and have not resolved the surging issue. Although responsive to customers they still sell the chips with out resolve.

Upsolute is well known in the VW performance. They have made a name for themselves by offering performance chip "relatively inexpensive". Although many VW enthusiast have performance issues with there modified UPS chips. It seems they have much more problems, complaints, issues than other VW chip tuners.

I beleive you pretty much get what you pay for, you might end up paying for it later.

Oak
Old 02-20-2002, 05:07 PM
cobra06
Pro

I emailed the Upsolute people in Austria. This has intrigued me, I'll admit. 60 H.P. for $300.00. Well I'm hoping someone tries it, but I'M not going first.

Response:

"Thanks for your mail and your interest in our products. Situation is following: We have allready tuned some of the 996 Biturbos, especially for the Saudi Arabian Market. (This car is very famous there). The results have been very good, but we never had the change to do any dyno tests. So, from my feeling, the powerincreas should be about 50-60 HP at least and up to 80-100 Nm torque"
regards

Ali Y. Galisir
Customer & Sales Department
Upsolute Headquaters
------------------------------------
Oberwaltersdorf
AUSTRIA
Old 02-20-2002, 05:28 PM
VS
Instructor

Red face

[quote] Response:

"Thanks for your mail and your interest in our products. Situation is following: We have allready tuned some of the 996 Biturbos, especially
for the Saudi Arabian Market. (This car is very famous there). The results have been very good, but we never had the change to do any
dyno tests. So, from my feeling, the powerincreas should be about 50-60 HP at least and up to 80-100 Nm torque" <hr></blockquote>

Ha-ha-ha! This is great! A tuner openly admitting they did not use a dyno when tweaking ECU !? I would stay as far away from these people as possible.

This is not about 300 dollars for the "upgrade", this is about a 30,000 to (maybe) 70,000 dollars for the new engine!
Old 02-20-2002, 07:00 PM
y2khardtop
Instructor

Some of you guys must LOVE wasting money! I have been professionally racing domestic cars for years, and $300-$500 is the going rate for tuning the computers. $3000+ is ridiculous!

I will try their chip if they have the correct programming, and treat the car gently. If I am not satisified, they will swap the OEM programming back in.

As long as they don't offer extremely high boost levels and run the engine lean, there is really no danger of destroying the engine.

Dave

Quick Reply: Authority Chip