Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 996TT Exhaust Products - Check it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 02:35 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 996TT Exhaust Products - Check it!!!

Well the drone and burbling sound of the Fabspeed Exhaust was to much to take, and I was personally looking for a more race style sound. I have always used JIC exhaust on all my race cars and very satisfied with their power, quality, and sound. JIC does make full stainless steel systems but they also specialize in Titanium. The complete titanium exhaust weighs about 15lbs total. The titanium muffler is the prototype but the look, fitment, and sound is amazing. The titanium has a very distinct sound. Like most turbo exhaust, you do have resonance in the low 2200-2600rpm, but it is very crisp from then on up. The system is actually 3 inch piping to flow more which any turbo car needs. We should be getting this on the dyno next week to show the horsepower difference over the Fabspeed. This system should yield about 20 more HP. We will show before and afters.

Also stay tuned for our GHL Headers and Muffler testing against Fabspeed. You will be amazed!

Vivid Racing is proud to announce it's distribution of the newly redesigned GHL exhaust for the Porsche 996TT. This system fits all 01-05 996TT, X50, or GT2 models. Vivid Racing in cooperation with GHL is re-releasing their well engineered twin turbo mufflers and headers. The GHL system is full stainless steel. High polished finished with amazing welds, the twin muffler design produces a fine race inspired sound with minimal droning compared to the competition. The exhaust includes 100cell catalytic converters and all hardware for a direct and easy fit. The system features a 3 inch piping from the cats for best exhaust flow to create maximum horsepower. The headers are made with the same high quality, however feature a collector to increase torque over stock. The headers flow much better and compliment the exhaust system well. The best part is, the exhaust components are made here in Arizona! Support your USA manufacturers.

We will have dyno results and a sound clip on the new GHL system shortly. We will have comparisons and stock sheets show the gains.

If you have the older GHL or a GHL product, feel free and post up pics of it on your car, sound clips, or opinions.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/30336

Old 10-13-2006, 02:37 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Header design is very unique.

Good luck with your products!

MK
Old 10-13-2006, 03:03 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

titanium is great for weight reduction but I wouldn't use it for exhuast esp with turbos. What is the fatigue rate with this particular exhaust? Is there a warranty against metal fatigue?

What is the function of the exhaust chamber on the header? Seem like you would not want a chamber area before the turbos.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 326 Likes on 222 Posts

I would definately be questioning the header collector design??

As Oak has mentioned, Titanium is not a good choice for turbocharged engine exhausts.. Look at all the welds to break and crack.

PorschePHD has run a side by side HP test with the GHL, Fabspeed, Europipe, and Ruf... Someone might look it up and post it. From the early post, I don't think that the Ti or GHL exhaust will beat the Fabspeed.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:29 PM
qirex
Racer

nothing laminar about that headers design. Looks like flow will be really turbulent.

ah well, you get what you pay for.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe the collector is linear inside where you cant see inside the primaries and the "box" you guys are worrying about is just to reduce (titanium) fatigue and failure since there is a lot of stress making its way to to the single outlet. I am not an engineer, it is just a thought.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

the collector looks like it's made from stainless not ti. if so, fatigue shouldn't be an issue.

I have a feeling the design is to reduce the size of the collector where the pipes merge. there is an issue with the headers with large collectors to scrape.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:43 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, the problem with GHL in the past was they didn't care about HP gains......literally didn't care (spoke with them on the phone a couple of times). They also insisted 100 cel cats were bad for the car.

Now they're going to sell a system that makes more power than a Fabspeed? These guys are changing positions faster than a republican begging for re-election

As an Engineer, I too question the use of Ti and the collector design.

Vivid are good guys, I'm just not interested in these.

Quick Reply: New 996TT Exhaust Products - Check it!!!