Sponsored by:

Stg 3 - FVD vs Cargraphic vs RS tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 10:14 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WE would love to see pics!!!

I know someone who spoke to Uli recently and he obviously knows more than most will forget!

Sportec has amazing products, wished I lived in southwestern Europe...
Old 09-28-2006, 11:42 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Woodster
Cool article (I think??) I cannot read it...

"Ausgewogenes'

Marty
I would be happy to translate it for you, do you want to know specifics only or (hopefully not ) the entire article..............reading will take a minute ot two but typing..............
Old 09-29-2006, 03:13 AM
McBurn4ever
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kiko
I already asked Mcburn4ever to do a brief translation to us... non german speaking!

Many thanks for the article!
I would really love to translate it..there is just one tiny tiny problem..
My german really sucks!

I'm from Sweden..far up in the northern Europe..and here we definitely do not speak german. Don't you all remember the swedish chef att the Muppetshow??

I've been doing some more thinking...
Is there someone who has experience of both stg 2 & 3 from the same tuner?
(stg2: ECU/filter/exhuast, stg3: stg2 + turbos)

If I look at FVD they say 510HP@6000rpm/745Nm@4500rpm for the stg2 kit and 540HP@7000rpm/760Nm@4500rpm for the stg3 kit.
At least on paper the difference isn't big. How is it in reality..?

Iv'e been hearing much about Kevins different ZC-kits.
Some have said something about maintenance. Do this setup require more care than say RUF/FVD/Cargr..?
Is it posible for me living in Sweden to buy a complete stg2 kit that will work with the petrol we have (diffenent than in the US)?

As you may notice I do have big problems making up my mind!
Old 09-29-2006, 08:30 AM
Kiko
Racer

Originally Posted by pole position
I would be happy to translate it for you, do you want to know specifics only or (hopefully not ) the entire article..............reading will take a minute ot two but typing..............
Hi,

Would you please resume their comments on the RS Tuning? Pleeaassse?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:34 AM
Kiko
Racer

Originally Posted by McBurn4ever
Many thanks for the article!
I would really love to translate it..there is just one tiny tiny problem..
My german really sucks!

I'm from Sweden..far up in the northern Europe..and here we definitely do not speak german. Don't you all remember the swedish chef att the Muppetshow??

I've been doing some more thinking...
Is there someone who has experience of both stg 2 & 3 from the same tuner?
(stg2: ECU/filter/exhuast, stg3: stg2 + turbos)

If I look at FVD they say 510HP@6000rpm/745Nm@4500rpm for the stg2 kit and 540HP@7000rpm/760Nm@4500rpm for the stg3 kit.
At least on paper the difference isn't big. How is it in reality..?

Iv'e been hearing much about Kevins different ZC-kits.
Some have said something about maintenance. Do this setup require more care than say RUF/FVD/Cargr..?
Is it posible for me living in Sweden to buy a complete stg2 kit that will work with the petrol we have (diffenent than in the US)?

As you may notice I do have big problems making up my mind!
Kevin's ZC's are a bit of a pain to install but the outcome is UNBELIEVABLE, please check a vid of KPG's car building boost... I'm positive he knows about euro fuel (98RON its similar to 93AKI) so no problem here. The only set back is the fact that Kevin is on the other side of the pond and you pay high taxes to import the stuff into the EU.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:48 AM
AVoyvoda
Racer

Correction: You don't pay high taxes to import into the EU from the US. You pay VAT (Value Added Tax) that ranges from 16% to 22.5% on the sales price, depending on the importing country and nothing more. But, if the same stuff was made and sold in Europe, you'd pay the same amount of VAT anyway.
Living in the UK (17.5% VAT) I find that many times it's cheaper importing from the USA and being charged UK VAT than Belgium (a country within the EU) as the later has a 22.5% VAT rate.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:55 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Kiko, the The Zero Clearance is a option for any of my KKK turbochargers. Every new turbocharger should be broken in, similar to what one would do with a new engine (turbochargers=no boost for 0-50miles). With that said, the Z/C option does require added measures of precaution and does require more miles driven at reduced boost. The turbochargers must also be inspected after the install. This is a good precaution with every turbo install. There is no doubt about it, Z/C does require a tempered run in period from 0 miles to 200 miles.. The breakin process can be spead up on a dyno, but it's easier to put the miles on the car.. The 200 miles of pain will definately reward the owners down the road..

At $5,895.00 for the Stage 2 package, which includes turbochargers and ECU programming (multiple maps ie, stock file, performance file, valet file) there is a lot of value vs performance given. Z/C, headers, turbo inlet piping, exhaust systems are options.

Another fine point to my programming is, I do not need to see your ECU or car.. This means that we can supplyand ship systems all over the world..

Edit, the turbochargers are shipped as repaired/serviced made in Germany..
You have already paid for the taxes on your car.. The VAT charged is for repaired cost..
Old 09-30-2006, 02:31 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Thanks in advance.
No problem but where is the link ?
Old 09-30-2006, 08:23 AM
Stummel
Pro

Nothing special about the RS. Unfortunately it is the 508 PS version with the stock turbos. So it is not really up to par with the other tuners kits with modified turbos.

Basically the article says that the RS tuning is very good programmed (compard to the gemballa which is not) and that boost comes on earlier than the sportec.
It runs very smooth trough the rpm range.
This leads to a less brutal feeling than the sportec (with changed turbos) but almost the same acceleration times which are very good for the 508PS.

Above 200kph the acceleration is not as good as sportec (due to the turbos). BUT look at the V-Max, it is the best of all!

The track times are not very good, as the stock suspension does understeer a lot.
Look at the 10.7 from 0-200kph for the 542PS stage from RS-tuning.

-> Ausgewogen = well balanced.

All times are with 2 people on board and with a full tank!!!

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Stummel; 09-30-2006 at 08:26 AM. Reason: ausgewogen
Old 09-30-2006, 09:02 AM
Kiko
Racer

Thank you very much! I had the link ( http://www.t-t-p.de/T/Wuchtnach.htm ) for a year now (TB gave it to me) and I didn't know what was written in there about RS because the text is an "image" and therefore can't be translated by an automated translator. Thank you once again.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:23 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Stummel
Thanks for the summary, I only understood the numbers

What is interesting here for me is the comment about the Sportec "feeling" faster in acceleration with the RS being "smooth" - this is a really interesting, much overlooked phenomenon.
Very recently, RS had a Gemballa 993tt in which supposedly had 590hp but the owner who had "played" against friends fast cars was not happy with the acceleration.
On the engine dyno it showed 490hp maximum. RS performed their 520hp conversion on it.
The owner was initially disappointed because it didn't have the initial "tyre shredding" surge it had with the Gemablla set up.
The owner called them again and said he had run against his friend's again and could not believe how much ground it put on their cars compared to before - it WAS much faster.
I suspect this phenomenon is at the heart of many "trye shredding" 600hp cars, yes they give you a 0.5second hit of 0.8G, but because of the heat generated in giving the hit and the overall inferior mapping the torque cannot be sustained compared to the RS cars which have very wide power bands giving sustained Gs right up the rev range.

The 508hp 996tt engine in the test in question, because it was properly mapped achieved the FASTEST maximum speed of all the other tuned 996tts in the test, despite them all having bigger turbos !
Old 09-30-2006, 09:46 AM
Stummel
Pro

What conclusions can we (or at least the guys driving a Porsche...) draw from that information?

1. To drive in Germany you MUST have a proper RS-Tuning (or Sportec/RUF/EDO) mapping to really enjoy the Autobahn up to 330+kph.

2. To drive in the rest of the world including the US you do not really need the RS-Tuning sort of mapping but the short hit of big G numbers. You can get that for less money and still stay out of jail. (well most of you...)

3. It is time again for TB to visit Germany again to use the RS ponies as intended :-). This also applies for the other RS customers. Come on over, we have beautiful weather and the Nordschleife and the Hockenheim Rings are still open...
Old 09-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Stummel, as long as you don't show up again with a Mercedes Benz, I am game for the Nordschleiffe.

You guys up here only like to talk about performance and numbers, get a life!
Old 09-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Stummel
Pro

Hi Jean, I would really like to meet you again at the Nordschleife.
This time perhaps with you a bit less short of sleep. :-)
Would give a lot to be your passenger again. Still have an empty garage near the ring if you visit Germany again.

The S500 is my most fast car right now, as I sold the SL500 and only have a Audi 6 Diesel!!! left.
My life is not working out at the moment, at least car-wise. But the best is yet to come...
Old 09-30-2006, 12:49 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Toby in all fairness, the MPH or top speed is limited.. In order to get there you need to raise the REV limit and Speed restrictions.. Some companies don't do this.. You would have to verify the ECU programming apples to apples to see if it was done across the board..

Quick Reply: Stg 3 - FVD vs Cargraphic vs RS tuning