OT HAMMAN I COULDNT RESIST

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 07:15 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts
Post OT HAMMAN I COULDNT RESIST

tyson,

after Wiley and I checked out your nifty M5 this w/e, i thought you'd appreciate this quote from ferrarichat.com on BMW:

"When I was in high school in the mid 80s in rural California, BMWs were status cars for kids. Basically a chick car daddy bought for his daughter if he had the money. If not, he bought her a VW cabriolet.

I know the M cars are real cars but here in California BMW have been the daughter or the wife's transportation for decades. San Francisco is particularly full of white BMWs making lane changes without signalling and otherwise being complete jerks. They are absolutely public enemy number one, having surpassed volvo drivers some while ago."

and you looked Rappin' Rad in your gold chains, and we loved your footwell lighting!!!
Old 07-07-2003, 07:29 PM
Hamann7
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh man, he went too far with that Volvo comment!!!

That's like calling me a liberal for god's sake.

Now I am deeply disturbed by this remark. Don't even get me started with Ferrari and the whole greaseball/pimp image thing.

At least BMW includes footwell lighting and doesn't charge $800 for it! You might think it's funny until your wife chips your carbon fiber "GT2" inscribed door sill with her heel.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:53 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts
We in the Bay Area have for some reason not totally gotten rid of the " Boring Marin Wheels " stigma of BMW ownership from two decades ago.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:16 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

tyson,
no CF sills here, babeeee!!! i'm glad you found the volvo comment to heart... if you hadn't signed my recall Davis petition i'd be concerned.... your m5 is cool, but like Oak, i bet you park it when your gt3 arrives.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:34 PM
Hamann7
User

Yes, this is true. But I don't think Oak used his M5 as his daily commuter like I do. He also had a lot of mods on his, but that suspension I put in really changed the whole demeanor of the car.

I think I will be liking the GT3 a lot and be tempted to drive it everyday. I just don't want to drive it every single day in traffic when I can sit in a sedan with nice Nappa leather seats, a full audio and navigation system and really good air conditioning that can also handle pretty well for a 4 door. Besides, I don't switch cars every 6 months like some people, so I have to keep some kind of excitement factor going for a little while...

How can you have any doubts about me not being a communist, oops I meant LIBERAL???

It's too bad Volvo is now owned by Ford, I was hoping one day they would just go out of business. But I guess they're pretty synergistic with Mustangs!!!
Old 07-08-2003, 03:05 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW, although much more nicely appointed, is basically the Honda of Europe IMHO.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:26 PM
Ruf-Racer
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Well as a newbie to the world of BMW & the M5 I guess I have a lot to learn! Perhaps from Zamirz? Hmm, is the roll bar too tacky? Honda like? Whoa,that's a really bad thought. Not quite as bad as being called a "liberal" but pretty close. Tough crowd here. Maybe I am getting to be a ***** cat!

R
Old 07-08-2003, 03:53 PM
Hamann7
User

Ruf-Racer,

Let's get in touch with each other. I'd love to discuss your new M5 with you. I hope you haven't put too much Dinan stuff on there, because there is much better product out there.

Zamirz, BMW may be prolific around California and maybe it's a Honda for LA, but I think my M5 is a great car regardless. I also don't see that many M5's, even in LA. You see more 996 Turbos than M5's.

The M5 outbrakes (at least the first few times) and outaccelerates a standard 996. With my AC Schnitzer suspension, it handles just as well if not better.

Notice how many Porsche owners also own a BMW.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:59 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tyson,

Not as many as have owned a BMW!
Old 07-08-2003, 04:06 PM
Hamann7
User

That's true. But I would still rather have my M5 over a Cayenne Turbo any day. When I am at the Concorso in August, I will show you why.

That being said, there is no substitute for a 911.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:39 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

much as i like tyson's m5,

my first comment was: "this is 400 HP?"... it feels Soooooooooo Sloooooooooooowwwwww relative to a gt2 [weight]. stock brakes are astoundingly good, quite a revelation, and build quality and interior superb.

however, my wife has owned e500, xjr, s600 and i had a e55... and right now i think the m5 is the best sports sedan [although i find the s600 more useful], altho' the original, not the new, e55 was pretty good. it is telling tho' that tyson is compelled to mod. his ultimate driving machine.

BTW, tyson, was that you in the volvo wagon this am? with the "Feinstein for president" and "guns are only for the liberal elite" stickers?
Old 07-08-2003, 04:53 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just for the record, Honda builds an exceptional product.

ruf-racer, not sure what you're talking about. Last I checked, no BMW came from the factory with a roll bar, except for maybe those two hoops on the Alpina Roadster and the Z4. I will echo Hamann's comments that there are many products out there for your car that put Dinan to shame.

hamann, for sure there are many more 996TTs than M5s in the valley. Being middle eastern, many of my family members are die-hard BMW, but other than the Z8, M1 and M5, they stir about as much emotion in me as a Honda Accord. This is often the topic of a heated debate at family gatherings when the driveway is littered with 740iLs and many a 3-series.

later,

amir
Old 07-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Ruf-Racer
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Zamirz,

The only "factory roll cage" equipped car I have ever owned is my Ruf car with leather covered Integrated Roll Cage!
I don't think I said the roll bar was a factory piece. Totally custom and removable. And yes,it did take 1 & 1/2 days to get the job done. The car passed tech for an open road race where I cruised for ninety miles @134.9 mph average speed. I shall not post my top end number but I can say it is not too shabby.

Now on to business.
Hamman 7; I will contact you soon. I am about to launch for northern Nevada to set up communications for another road race event. Perhaps next week would be cool!
Not too much Dinan stuff at this point. I know better. The dealer flashed the chip and that's it as of now! I may or may not move forward with more mod's but brakes and suspension as well as full fire suppression are definitely a part of the plan. Slate gray,all black interior with platinum trim. The best part are the fold down rear seats which allowed an easy roll bar installation with welded support directly to the chassis and transparent when the roll bar is decoupled and removed!.

Cheers to all

R
Old 07-08-2003, 06:29 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

R,
tell us more about the NV road races. can you do them in a stock gt2 or is that wishful [and dangerous] thinking?
Old 07-08-2003, 06:43 PM
Joe Castellanos
Advanced

People in M's ARE the most inconsiderate and reckless drivers out there.

Quick Reply: OT HAMMAN I COULDNT RESIST