Sponsored by:

PCCB Squeaking - Ceramic Brake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 02:30 AM
kurfurst
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCCB Squeaking - Ceramic Brake Issues

I have a 2003 996 TT with what I believe are VERY SQUEAKY first generation PCCB brakes.

They usually produce an unbearable squeak at virtually all speeds, being most noticeable at low speeds when other ambient noises (like induction) do not mask them.

I have noticed that the magnitude of the squeak is lower in the rain and following heavy braking sessions that follow a full track day, for example.

I have been told that the root cause is acoustic feedback and that some form of damper resolves the problem.

I am a littlle dubious ... you either do or do not have the feedback. Experience from the track and the rain suggests some form of material build-up on either the pads or the rotors.

What has the experience been on this issue? Do dampers reolve the issue? If not, is there any solution?

Any and all suggestions and/or similar experience would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:42 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 54 Posts

It's normal - I have the same squeaky brakes on my 03 X50 - not terribly bad just something I got used to hearing - heavy braking does make the noise less pronounced
Old 09-02-2006, 01:59 PM
KPG
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gen 1 PCCB's are not the ideal track setup. Many have swapped to iron rotors due to the relatively short track life of rortors and pads. A forum search will produce many interesting threads on PCCB issues. Kevin
Old 09-02-2006, 06:20 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

U need to bed-in the pads and rotors...4-5 successive, moderate stops from 60 - 20 mph followed by 4-5 full bloodied stops from 100+mph down to 20...then drive for 10 mins without applying brakes for cool down. Do it in a safe place.

Quick Reply: PCCB Squeaking - Ceramic Brake Issues