Sponsored by:

Looking for input on lap timers

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 09:27 PM
KPG
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for input on lap timers

Anybody have a lap timer they are happy with. I need to purchase one for some open track events. I know PCA doesnt like them but most of my track time is on open nights. Anyone know if the AX22 is capable of lap times or sector times. Thanks, Kevin
Old 08-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Kevin. I am verging on buying an AX22 for autocross. Yes it will do lap times and
as many sectors as yo want to set up.
Joe Weinstein
Old 08-17-2006, 10:28 PM
Woodster
Drifting

I own an AX-22 and did not know that,
thank you!

Marty K
Old 08-18-2006, 05:47 PM
KPG
Pro

Marty and Joe, Is there a special version of the AX22 or are all of these functions included. Thanks,Kevin
Old 08-18-2006, 06:01 PM
Woodster
Drifting

I must read my manual this weekend, then go for some runs!!
yippee!

MK
Old 08-18-2006, 06:07 PM
KPG
Pro

Originally Posted by Woodster
I must read my manual this weekend, then go for some runs!!
yippee!

MK
Real men do not read directions! BTW, my ZC are all broken in and I am going to load up the performance program tonight after the kids go to bed, will have some feedback soon ! Kevin
Old 08-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Warning, my answer was based *only* on reading the manual, and talking
to race-technology support. If anyone in the S.F. Bay area has an AX22
they are willing to lend me for a weekend, I can get and post some
data.
Joe
Old 08-19-2006, 01:23 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

real men buy cool stuff then NEVER USE IT! marty!!!!
Old 08-19-2006, 03:29 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Kevin,

The AX22 is more of a GPS based and very accurate datalogger. It is not really a lap timer, as in seeing your lap times live while driving. There are someother units that do that , that are quite simple. If you add the optional dash then yes you can use it as a laptimer.

If what you need is hours of analysis from a couple of laps on the track, the AX22 serves perfectly this purpose. Unlike what the perception is from people who have not used it, it is a full fledge track datalogger, you can spend countelss hours analyzing 2 laps and comparing. In fact I use it for acceleration runs 5% of the time only, the rest is for testing new stuff. Yesterday for instance I took it out to test my new 6 speed race sequential gearbox as I did not know what ratios it has, now I do (almost) and did some runs to compare time losses wile shifting etc... I also installed it in a friend's car who did some quartermile runs, we had a lot of data to analyze afterwards about traction losses etc.. and tested different pressures to improve grip during gear changes..etc..

Here is a picture of a typical screen that I use after any practice session or fun at the track. The possibilities are endless. You can also add video, and no, I am not at all affiliated, I like it so much that I bought two

P.S. Woodster, I can't believe you still have not used the thing. Will you do a run before you change your PSI 480 setup? I think it is too late in fact
Old 08-19-2006, 10:57 PM
KPG
Pro

Jean ,thank you. I would like some of those features as well as track times.You stated that there is an incar display? Is it bulky and do I need a laptop running in the car as well. Kevin
Old 08-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Kevin, Here is a picture of the dash. Withthis installed, you can see all the data live.

Here is the website if you need more info. They have a US distributor but I don't remember the name.
www.race-technology.com
Old 08-21-2006, 12:05 AM
KPG
Pro

Jean, thanks that display looks phenomenal, pricey though! Kevin
Old 08-24-2006, 03:45 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ellen Ferguson [ellen@veracitydata.com]

She can set you up. Get the cool storage case as well. It does a great job keeping the dust off when spending extended period of time on the shelf.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:48 PM
KPG
Pro

Looks like I am going to go with Racelogic's GPS Driftbox. Car and Driver tested it against their 10K$ VBOX and it was spot on.Has all the data logging functions, but will display sector time, lap time and corner exit speed real time on screen at the track. The on screen track times is really what I am looking for. The AX22 has to have the addon screen which is pricey. Yes it does 60-130!. According to the specs at both sites it has twice the satellite update rate of the AX22, 10 times versus 5 times per second. Also, I just learned the US distributor is 7 miles from my house... how convenient! The 750$ price doesnt hurt either. Will update with some real times once I get it setup. Kevin
Old 08-25-2006, 05:03 PM
set4lfe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KPG
Looks like I am going to go with Racelogic's GPS Driftbox. Car and Driver tested it against their 10K$ VBOX and it was spot on.Has all the data logging functions, but will display sector time, lap time and corner exit speed real time on screen at the track. The on screen track times is really what I am looking for. The AX22 has to have the addon screen which is pricey. Yes it does 60-130!. According to the specs at both sites it has twice the satellite update rate of the AX22, 10 times versus 5 times per second. Also, I just learned the US distributor is 7 miles from my house... how convenient! The 750$ price doesnt hurt either. Will update with some real times once I get it setup. Kevin
Got a link to the Racelogic's GPS Driftbox website that sells it for $750? or can you pm it to me me if its against the rules to post it here.

Quick Reply: Looking for input on lap timers