Sponsored by:

Porsche T + NO2 Vs Supra T 700HP [VIDEO]

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 02:44 PM
JoshuaB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by soon2be993TT:

If he's in say 2nd gear at 5K at 50mph the car should be ready to go. But engine load is still a factor. I have a question, not ever owning a turbo vehicle, if you build full boost at say 5K are you building full boost while cruizing on the freeway at 5K?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"No engine load = little or no boost. Unless you are driving aggressively, your car usually won't build much boost (if any at all) under normal driving conditions. "

Building boost at say 50 mph / 5000 rpm to be ready for a race is quite easy...all you have to do is put your left foot on the brake pedal and keep your right one on the fuel pedal, which creates load on the engine. Obviously you would only want to do this for a few seconds prior to starting acceleration. I can build quite a bit of boost with this technique...
Old 12-20-2002, 05:25 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Christer:
<strong>

Soon, are you sure you want a 993TT project? Doesn't sound like you know much about Turbos and this is coming from someone who thought he knew jack about Turbos, but I knew that one...

Are you near to finding a car yet? What kind of price range are you looking at, and what are you going to do with/to it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've built a few cars up from scratch, for example the one in my signature. I'm not really worried about the project. I know enough about turbos to be able to do a project like this. The turbos aren't even the important part though.

I plan on picking up a C2 and dropping in the motor. ALthough i've been considering a 3.8 liter. But I'm a year or so away right now. Have a few other things that need my attention.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:07 PM
Ruiner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by JoshuaB:
<strong>Originally posted by soon2be993TT:
Building boost at say 50 mph / 5000 rpm to be ready for a race is quite easy...all you have to do is put your left foot on the brake pedal and keep your right one on the fuel pedal, which creates load on the engine. Obviously you would only want to do this for a few seconds prior to starting acceleration. I can build quite a bit of boost with this technique...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ahh, the technique of 'power braking'. Yes, you can create load that way, but that makes lining up evenly for a 'roll' race rather hard to do and it isn't all that great for your brakes. However, on a large turbo such as the one on the Supra in the video, it takes more than that to really build full boost. You can get there, but the engine load isn't as good as it could be. The trick is to catch the boost as it is rising (as it is going from vacuum into the positive boost area - while the turbo is starting to spool).
Old 12-23-2002, 04:10 PM
Warp Machine
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is one more video from the race.

<a href="http://forum.rallyfreak.com/zerothread?id=1397" target="_blank">http://forum.rallyfreak.com/zerothread?id=1397</a>

Quick Reply: Porsche T + NO2 Vs Supra T 700HP [VIDEO]