Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost it in my GT 2 yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003 | 02:54 PM
GuyR
Racer

Hamann7,

Here is the scanned article from the London Evening Standard today about the GT2 crash I mentioned:

<a href="http://www.imgmag.org/images/guyratcliffe/PorschexCrashxDocxSideways.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.imgmag.org/images/guyratcliffe/PorschexCrashxDocxSideways.jpg</a>

Yes, the driver did sadly die, and yes the two children were in the back.

As for your commments on the Skyline, I'll reserve trying to persuade someone who lives 10,000miles away from me how good a car he has never driven is, since it would be fruitless task and this is also a Porsche forum, not a Skyline one.

I like both and have both, though they offer different experiences.

As for the Nurburgring, I was at the 24 Hr race last yr, where a GTR R34 came 5th overall. It was beaten by a Viper (the winner) and three GT3s, but it was a very close race, with the GTR leading for many laps. (There were also about 18 GT3s entered and only one GTR). The website for the teams and race is at:

<a href="http://adac.24h-rennen.de/" target="_blank">http://adac.24h-rennen.de/</a>

I will be going down there again in about three weeks for a week to watch the qualifying and the race, have a few laps of the 'ring and I'm also booked into the Porsche factory tour. The only choice is which car to take, since the 993RS has difficulty pulling much over 165mph, whereas last time in the GTR we saw 199mph on the GPS and did prolonged cruising at 170+mph (all totally legal).

Guy
Old 05-01-2003 | 03:15 PM
Hamann7
User

Really sad to hear about the guy who died in the GT2. I guess all the more reason to get a rollcage in the car. It's like that car is cursed or something.

Well, I can see why your GTR can do with 199mph with 650hp and a delimiter. Some of the modded 996TT out here can hit 200 mph with relative ease.

Maybe a new GT3 is in order for you too? It will hit 190mph with stock gearing.

So can you compare the experience between the GTR R34 and the Porsche? Do you think the GTR is a better track car than the new GT3?
Old 05-01-2003 | 03:25 PM
Hamann7
User

BTW, I was looking at that website you posted.

Nice to see Manthey Racing doing so well. The car that came in 3rd was a 996 GT3MR, which means it was prepared by Manthey. They are nice people, and they are at the top of my list to tune my GT3. Apparently they are working on a tuning package as we speak.
Old 05-01-2003 | 03:26 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Hamann7:
<strong>

As far as the Skyline goes, it is an ok car. The AWD system, like on virtually every other AWD car, tends to understeer and be non-communicative through the corner. But it's still a cheaply built Nissan. Think Nissan Sentra with carbon fiber, and that describes the interior build quality. There are now left hand drive versions of this car in the aftermarket, but again, a GT3 with its strong NA motor is the superior platform. Turbo cars are turbo cars.

?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">i'm gonna have to disagree, have you driven an r34? I was amazed at the fit and finish nissan put into it. It's not a p-car, but it's better then alot of other cars comming over from japan. I drove in a mildly modded R34 putting out about 550 Hp and the car was just an absolute blast. It's just a shame motorex has jacked up the price so much bringing them over.

if you are refering to the LHD converted cars you saw at LBGP then your thoughts are explained. But the factory cars are pretty well built.
Old 05-01-2003 | 03:37 PM
GuyR
Racer

Comparing the two is a bit apples vs oranges.

The R34 in road form is not a great track car. It is fast and handles very well, but it is too heavy, in the same way that a 996 TT is not a good track car. A GT3 or an RS is a much better track car, due to lower weight and better braking. It is chassis, weight and brakes that make good laps, not power.

My 993 RS is my 'track' car and this is virtually what the factory designed it for, stripped out, bucket seats, lightweight and great brakes. The GT3 (esp the GT3 RS) is a newer version of a similar concept.

The R34 is a fast road car that is also a capable GT cruise car. It is comfortable, refined and can also drive like a supercar. When we did 199mph, we had a bootful of luggage and 3 adults all about 6 feet tall in the car (though the back is a bit cramped for a 6 footer).

I would say an R34 is more similar in concept to a 996TT ( I am assuming the necessary simple upgrades are made to take the car from the restricted 280bhp to the more usual 400bhp).

The GT3 will be a better track car, just don't dismiss an R34 until you have driven it. The R34 is certainly much more easy to get oversteer in and hold than any 911 I've ever driven, to that extent it does flatter the more average drivers like myself.

I did order a 996 TT X50, but cancelled and bought the RS instead when I realised that the 996TT was too similar a concept to the R34. (I have also been inside a 996 TT at a radar proven 190mph). I would upgrade the RS to a new GT3, but the queue is about 2 years here and by then the new 997 will be out.

Guy

PS Picture of RS:

<a href="http://www.imgmag.org/images/guyratcliffe/993xRSxSmall.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.imgmag.org/images/guyratcliffe/993xRSxSmall.jpg</a>

And of the R34 engine bay:

<a href="http://www.imgmag.org/images/guyratcliffe/BonnetxOpenxR34xSmall.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.imgmag.org/images/guyratcliffe/BonnetxOpenxR34xSmall.jpg</a>
Old 05-01-2003 | 03:44 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

engine bay looks pretty GuyR

do you track your R32 or is it a drag car? I came really close to picking up an R32 in the middle of last year but changed my mind. How do you like it? I heard it's a much better tuner then the R34.
Old 05-01-2003 | 03:59 PM
Hamann7
User

Guy,

I thought about picking up an R34 also as a screw around project. Maybe some day when I get bored. The thing I don't like about the Skyline is that the interior is just so japanese. I am a big fan of German interiors, that's one of the many reasons I would never touch a Lexus.

Some kid around here has a nicely tuned R33 with a bunch of Blitz stuff that puts out around 600hp. More of a dragster though.

You are right, in many ways the R34 is similar to the 996TT, and has a more advanced AWD system as well.

Hey have you ever seen that video with the Japanese drift king in an '00 GT3? It looks pretty impressive.
Old 05-01-2003 | 04:36 PM
GuyR
Racer

Soon2be,

My R32 is an out and out drag car, although street legal, virtually locked diffs, caged etc. No boost until 6000rpm, than an instant hit with about 1000bhp. It also has 6speed sequential dogbox. Let's put it like this, you wouldn't choose it for a journey.

As for R32 vs R34, the R32 is much cheaper to buy, slightly lighter, but engine is virtually identical. It's the same expense to tune any of R32, R33 or R34. R34 is just much more modern.

Hamann7,

Interior is greyer and cheaper than a porker, but remember that an R34 was only about $50,000 new in Japan.

Haven't seen that drift video, but I have a load of drift DVDs - those guys are very good, but totally mad, especially the guys who do it on the streets.

Guy
Old 05-01-2003 | 04:48 PM
djimenez993tt
Instructor

Hamann7, hey, no flames intended. but just to clarify some info, the r33 and r34 are both nissan skylines, just different chassis numbers; kinda like 993,996.

I do agree on the fact that the skyline is a bit "japanese" on its interior, but what did you expect? they all have the same feel inside. But you got to agree, they do make them OK.

I dont know about the LHD conversion of skylines, nor I can imagine from where they got the dash, skylines are only made in RHD. Plus, the engine is tilted to the left, thus the turbos wont leave any space left for the steering column, that was one of the reasons nissan never sold them in LHD form.

Either way, lets just enjoy our P-cars and go racing. that is wherever you feel confortable doing it and SAFE. and not illegaly (had to say it, I dont want all hell to brake loose again)
Old 05-01-2003 | 05:09 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

d.jimenez, the converted cars are quite funny looking inside, the one I saw hat a dash from what looked like a mid 90's maxima, it was really quite ugly. I know there are a few places out there that have done the conversion, but from the results i've seen it's costly and doesn't at all come out looking right.
Old 05-01-2003 | 05:10 PM
Hamann7
User

Duh, I knew that. Thanks for pointing that out djimenez. I edited my post to what I meant to say.

So I wonder what this R35 is supposed to be like. They say it's going to be similar to the 350Z/G35 platform? Gosh I hope not.

The dash on the LHD Skyline was custom made in leather. They extensively modified the car to make everything feasible. Who knows how good the conversion is, frankly, if it was me I would leave it in RHD.

Skyline is definitely something I would add to my collection someday, at the least just to say that I have a Skyline. It's actually my favorite Japanese car.
Old 05-02-2003 | 02:06 AM
gtdrei
Pro

Old 05-02-2003 | 02:51 AM
Deanger
Racer

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by GuyR:
<strong>Hamann7,

Here is the scanned article from the London Evening Standard today about the GT2 crash I mentioned:

<a href="http://www.imgmag.org/images/guyratcliffe/PorschexCrashxDocxSideways.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.imgmag.org/images/guyratcliffe/PorschexCrashxDocxSideways.jpg</a>

Yes, the driver did sadly die, and yes the two children were in the back.

Guy</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">V. sorry for the guy, but VERY disturbed to hear he had two children in the car, meaning at least one, if not both were NOT BELTED IN.

That is criminal and irresponisble and it is wonderful they are ok.
Old 05-02-2003 | 08:33 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I agree it is disturbing that he MAY have been driving like an idiot with kids in the car. But isn't it possible that he could have retrofited the car with rear seats and seat belts?
Old 05-02-2003 | 02:44 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Hammann, found this on the R35

<a href="http://www.autofiend.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=65" target="_blank">http://www.autofiend.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=65</a>

Quick Reply: Lost it in my GT 2 yesterday