Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Exhaust for Twin Turbo

Old 07-04-2001, 03:04 PM
EricV
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New Exhaust for Twin Turbo

Has anyone installed a new exhaust on the Twin Turbo? I'm really not looking for power as much as I am a nice sound that still allows for everyday driving. I've heard that Fabspeed is great, but am interested in other opinions.
Old 07-25-2001, 12:07 PM
Tom Gripe
Advanced

Just got my tubo two weeks ago and had the same question about after market exhausts. I had added a "Tumi" exhaust to my Ferrari 360 earlier this summer with spectacular results especially down at lower RPM's. The dealer suggested B&B exhausts which are advertised in Panorama but Billy Boat didn't strike me as someone who would know much about Porsche exhaust. "Tumi"also makes an aftermarket exhaust for the turbo but I haven't had it installed yet and am a little reluctant.
Old 07-25-2001, 01:43 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Tom Gripe:
<STRONG>Just got my tubo two weeks ago and had the same question about after market exhausts. I had added a "Tumi" exhaust to my Ferrari 360 earlier this summer with spectacular results especially down at lower RPM's. The dealer suggested B&B exhausts which are advertised in Panorama but Billy Boat didn't strike me as someone who would know much about Porsche exhaust. "Tumi"also makes an aftermarket exhaust for the turbo but I haven't had it installed yet and am a little reluctant.</STRONG>
That's"Tubi". I believe "Tumi" is a luggage manufacturer.
Old 07-25-2001, 04:16 PM
Craig1
AutoX

Smile

Viken, you're right once again
Old 07-26-2001, 02:27 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Both TechArt and Cargraphic are selling exhausts complete with sport cats for the 996TT. Both companies make multiple versions with the primary (if not only)difference being loudness. If you're in the Southern Ca. area, CEC-West L.A. has a TT on their showroom floor with the TechArt racing(read loud) version installed. If interested, they will probably give you a test "listen".
Old 07-26-2001, 03:04 PM
Tom Gripe
Advanced

Talked with one shop that suggested a muffler bypass. He mentioned it would backfire with throttle let up. Went to Porsche Thunder at Indianapolis Raceway Park this past weekend and those cars(mostly nonturbo's) were way too loud for street use. Looking for something with more snap at idle but more throaty then loud. I understand that with the turbo it will always be quieter.
Any thoughts?
Old 07-26-2001, 03:16 PM
Tom Gripe
Advanced

Visited Fabspeed website and there was mention of changing the computer chip at the same time you change the mufflers. Any thoughts?
Old 07-26-2001, 05:23 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Tom Gripe:
<STRONG>Visited Fabspeed website and there was mention of changing the computer chip at the same time you change the mufflers. Any thoughts?</STRONG>
From my experience, even if the exhaust is properly designed for performance, you cannot get more coming out if you don't add anything going in.
Old 07-26-2001, 07:50 PM
Craig1
AutoX

B&B also makes an exhaust system for the 996tt. They call their street version Lemans.
http://www.bbtriflo.com/sounds.html
Old 07-27-2001, 08:41 PM
Mark@B&B Exhaust
1st Gear

Tom, We got a laugh out of your comment regarding Billy Boats knowledge of Porsche exhaust. Evidently you must know Billy the Indy Car driver and not Billy the performance exhaust manufacture. Back in the mid 80's, Billy started B&B specializing in Porsche 911 performance exhaust. Since then B&B has spent many years designing, testing and manufacturing state of the art performance exhaust for Porsche and most other sports cars, trucks and SUV's. Even today, all of the systems that B&B introduces into the aftermarket are designed by the R&D staff with close supervision from Billy himself. I personally have only worked for B&B for a short time, however, I have known Billy for close to 20 years and I am sure that he has forgotten more about Porsche exhaust then most ever will know.
Old 07-28-2001, 01:43 AM
Pete911air
Instructor

Mark@B&B,
We know that a properly designed exhaust can add hp.,but please rememmber some people on this board get very pissy if you do not agree with them. Lets keep it a secret that a free flowing exhaust will add hp.

Pete @ ANDIAl
Ps. Robin what do you think?
Old 07-29-2001, 11:43 PM
Chris Y.
Racer

I'd be interested to hear about the different exhausts available! I've heard a lot of good things about Fabspeed...a bit about B&B Tri-flow (although, Fabspeed's website has this whole thing about how B&B's exhausts are not really "tri-flowing" systems), and a few things about RUF & TechArt.

I know that there will not be much performance improvement...however, I'd do it just for the sound. The stock unit is very quiet, and even hard to hear at times.

As for the B&B systems...how loud is the GT version? I've heard in on their small video clip...but I don't believe it accurately depicts how loud the exhaust really is?

I'll appreciate any input!

Chris
Old 08-06-2001, 09:45 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts
Cool

FYI the 996TT factory Porsche exhaust system is a 1 piece fully welded and integrated system. You cant add muffler bypass pipes or anything without major surgery and welding. Porsche 996TT factory exhaust "after the turbos" has 2 400cell catalytic converters on each side and twin mufflers. There are therefore 4 catalytic converters on all 996TTs. Basically, the exhaust leaves the turbine passes an 02 sensor-goes thru a 1st 400cell cat "sees" the 2nd 02 sensor for OBD2 and then must past thru another 400cell cat and then procede thru each R & Left muffler. Great wonderful car....not much sportscar sound. But thats waht Porsche AG wanted.

Fabspeed engineered a complete replacement system for the 996TT and GT2 that consists of German made/imported 100cell freeflow metal racecats. (think of 400cell/inch cats with cells for the exhaust to flow thru sized as the screens in your windows @ home and 100cell racecats as "chicken wire sized cells"-- get the idea reduced BACKPRESSURE)

Basically you can unbolt the entire 996TT "after turbochargers" exhaust system and replace it with a complete new freeflow Fabspeed exhaust. You get 2 new 100cell freeflow racecats that are the same catalytic converter cores all the bigtime German tuners use and these tuners claim 22-25hp gains by reduced backpressure. Fabspeed then combined freeflow straight thru T304SS mufflers connecting to the cool 996TT "D style" factory tips. The 996 GT2 sports exhaust system by Fabspeed Motorsport sounds great and definetely wakes up the car and WHEN you make other modifications it will allow it to breathe easily but still never break crack or split and wont setoff the check engine light. PUNCH line coming hold-on&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

Also you get to reuse the factory Porsche 996TT tips and you dont have to tolerate B&B Triflos 996TT tips that in my opinion (tell me if you concur) look like "Stove pipe outlets"... right off a POTBELLY cast iron stove you would see in a Colorado ski village or wintertime in VERMONT! what in heavens were they thinking with stovepipe tips for 996s&gt;&gt; web page performance for the next millenium
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 08-09-2001, 07:03 PM
Tom Gripe
Advanced

If I replace my stock 2001 TT exhaust with a Fabspeed exhaust that includes new 100 cell cats, will I also have to change the chip? Won't the second oxygen sensor notice different emissions and light up the dash warning? I'm not looking for more horsepower. Only a better sound at low RPM.
Help?
Old 08-09-2001, 09:55 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts
Tom if you change over your 996TT's exhaust to the Fabspeed performance freeflow 996TT exhaust you wont set-off any check engine lights nor do you have to rechip or retune the fuel injection computer. The car will automatically compensate for the reduced backpressure. HOWEVER, if you want to add even more performance by remapping/reprogramming the DME this will act synergistically to maximize power and performance as the engine can exhale even easier than stock. PS Fabspeed is working on lightweight mandrel bent aluminum tubing for the intake and pressure sides of the 996TT so that the pipes dont collapse or expand at super high boost levels that the German tuners achieve with some of there Stage 2 and Stage 3 conversion. Get the current Excellence and European 911 world and Hotrodding the 996TT is the most current topic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Exhaust for Twin Turbo