Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust testing has started. Who had the Ruf muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 04:03 PM
billhart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, i just had a nice chat with ASGAR, and will call him back to firm up price, payment and shipping arrangements now. Here's the deal: Ruf silencer system to be shipped to PHD for testing; PHD, then to ship (we'll work out the details) the Ruf stuff to my dealer, Frank Donatoni @ Brandywine Porsche outside of Phila. 610 886 1000. Ruf will then be installed on my GT-2. It will be mine, unless i don't like it, in which case Ruf will take it back (and refund my money). Sounds like a fair deal to me, i get to help you guys out, and get a few minutes of fame. Right? Ready, set, GO! (I'm calling ASGAR back now to make the arrangements; PHD, can you work out shipping with ASGAR- he told me he'd pay for the shipping from Ruf to you). Regards.PS, e Baker, i had a 69 6.3 litre MB, what a great car!
Old 07-03-2003, 04:28 PM
cobra06
Pro

Originally posted by ebaker
It would be interesting to measure the back pressure before and after the cats to see if any power increase comes from less restrictive cats vs. less restrictive mufflers. Since the turbos dampen out most resonant tuning the lowest back pressure system should produce the most power. It would be good to know if the catalysts or muffler are causing the most restriction.
True to an extent, but academic. And lets not kill Stephen. To do additional backpressure tests after the cat requires drilling another hole (instead of the test ports). Performance testing on exhausts are traditionally done pre-cat; after all thats whats going on your car anyway..
Old 07-03-2003, 05:00 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ebaker,
I can confirm that at least on one of the mufflers I tested was supplied with straight pipes in addition to the muffler. When the straight pipes were on with the same cats the back pressure dropped in half. This gives me an indication that the mufflers still remain the biggest culprit of back pressure. Now what else I can tell you is that the laws of back pressure are one thing, what happens on the car is another. The best numbers I have gotten so far have been with higher if not the highest back pressure I have recorded. Interesting stuff eh....Now on to the dyno with GHL on the back.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:24 PM
billhart
Instructor

OK, i confirmed payment arrangements with Asgar and he will work with you, Stephen, to get the unit shipped directly to you. Have fun with it, test it sooner than later among the others, and call me to arrange for it to be shipped to my dealer on the east coast. regards.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:51 PM
rmrmd1956
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
billhart,
You are an A1 guy. Thanks for 'bellying up to the bar"!
Old 07-04-2003, 02:29 PM
jro996turbo
Instructor

Talking

Outstanding, the plan came together. It is always nice to see a cooperative effort. I am sure that the Ruf system will perform well. I can't wait to see the results!
Old 07-14-2003, 07:58 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Ok gang, the last exhaust has arrived. I am wating for some dyno time then we are done. Just thought I would let everyone know.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:45 AM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

can't wait to see the results!
Old 07-15-2003, 03:04 PM
nman413
Drifting

Just a suggestion, if you make wav or wmv recordings of the mufflers while testing, people can use that as an aid to determine if the sound is what they are looking for.

Now if someone wants to ante up and do the same for 993s...
Old 07-27-2003, 07:47 PM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

PHd: Do you think it would be worth while to include a stock exhaust with the CATs removed? I'm not sure if the cats are incorporated in the stock set-up and thus making this test prohibitive, but it sure would be interesting to see the results. I guess the emissions testing required in the US would potentially make even favorable results irrelevant though.

Mike
Old 07-27-2003, 08:10 PM
KPV
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stephen,
How are the results coming along?
Old 07-28-2003, 12:27 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Sorry gang, no more exhaust. I am testing the last one this week. I will have some type of article written some time next weekend.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:13 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally posted by PorschePhD
Sorry gang, no more exhaust. I am testing the last one this week. I will have some type of article written some time next weekend.
Any clues How did me' old Fabspeed Super Sport Exhaust do? Just wondering.. did you test out their straight pipes?

Quick Reply: Exhaust testing has started. Who had the Ruf muffler?