Sponsored by:

The car just doesn’t measure up!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 02:15 PM
Timster
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post The car just doesn’t measure up!

I’ve had my 2001 996TT for little over a month. The car has about 5800 miles on it now. I’ve put about 3K miles on it. I’ve raced it in Open Road Racing, driven it on long trips. And used it for my daily driver. It rides very ruff. The tires howl (I put two new rear tires on about 1K miles ago, do to a blow out) the front end bounces horribly on California freeways. I got stomped by a Z06 on a 50 to 140 mph burst. The steering wheel isn’t in the right position for me. After two hours of driving I have to get out of the car. It’s just not comfortable for me. The car just doesn’t measure up! Anybody have any advise?

I just don’t think it’s worth the money.
A very unhappy guy!
Tim
Old 08-19-2002, 03:26 PM
Radar
Instructor

Consider trading it in for a BMW 745i. Or, better yet, a Lexus LS430. That should satisfy all your needs.
Old 08-19-2002, 04:20 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Try using 3rd gear next time.
Old 08-19-2002, 06:46 PM
Timster
Intermediate

[quote]Originally posted by Geoffrey:
<strong>Try using 3rd gear next time.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's a TIP! I down shifted to third. Then at 6K RPM Shifted to 4th. Tried Fifth but lost alot of gound. Oh well Stomping a Z06 isn't really my goal. Just thought the car should be able hang with out getting passed like I was standing still.
Old 08-19-2002, 06:59 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Problem # 1 - TIP
Problem # 2 - you need to get the boost up FIRST
Problem # 3 - you are hauling around alot more luxury than a Z06

Solution - install a boost kit and get 600 hp and learn to spool it before you race, then whip their ***!
Old 08-19-2002, 08:06 PM
cobra06
Pro

No offence Tim, but I think people like you are the reason I need to change my suspension and exhaust on each new Porsche that I buy. PCNA seems to listen to the sentiments that you express and markets new cars to fill the old guy comfort ride demographic. Its a sports car, it has the ability under the correct pilotage to kick butt (Why did you get a Tiptronic if you track it?). This particular model especially so. It should be a bit rough, and stiff and loud. it has a race-bred heritage ( do you know why the key is on the left side of the console?). Those are 11 inch wide tires back there, representing a ton of surface contact with the road, with that on a less then very smooth concrete roadway generates NOISE, especially with advanced treadwear .
Try driving an older 911 on a track. I'M sure you'll hate it, but its true seat-of-the pants driving. Loud, rough (ruff) and non-forgiving. The things that made Porsche what it is today.. This is Porsche # 10 for me. Yes, its a bit more plush then the older models, but the engineering and handling and pure power is the best Porsche I have had to date. Put it up on a lift, pull the tires and look at the work the engineers did to produce this car, combine this with the all terrain/weather testing that is done, and IF you know what you're looking at, you will be impressed and know why they are a first class performance vehicle.
Old 08-19-2002, 08:43 PM
mykulh
AutoX

Exclamation

You guys need to lighten up. A 996TT is a very specialized automobile. It is not an everyday kind of car. What this guy needs is the 996TT AND the 745. I am trying to talk myself into taking a long road trip in my 996TT but I know that within an hour or two my body will be in agony. (Another six inches of seat travel would eliminate most of this) Of course, if I don't drive it I'll regret it as soon as the roads turn twisty. Maybe I should tow it!

MykulH
Old 08-19-2002, 09:36 PM
Timster
Intermediate

Hmmm, not sure where some of the comments come from. All of my comments come from driving the car, not just around the block but putting real miles on it.
I like to race my cars on the Track, and Open Road Racing. I’m not really into 1/4 mile stuff. I like that thrill of WOT. I bought a tip because I don’t race every day and the tip is a easier in traffic.
Comfort? Is important, it's probably fine for people that don't have long legs.
I like a car that handles, and a suspension that is firm but not rock solid. This car isn't stiff, this thing has body roll and the front end bounces. I guess I need to get a Porsche expert to look at it?
The tire noise isn't the rear I'm complaining about. It's from the front. The rear tires are the same size I had on my vette, 11" rears. The fronts are not as wide.
And actually the car is quieter than a vette.
The original post was not meant to upset anyone. It's a call for help. I have had this car on a rack and spent allot of time looking underneath, at the engineering and how things are mounted.
As for engineering marvel, that’s what I thought I bought. I was looking for a car that handles, has tons of manageable horse-power and can be driven daily. So far it can be driven daily, has HP but not as much as I thought it might. Maybe it’s just not the car for me.
Tim
Old 08-19-2002, 10:55 PM
Bob M
Instructor

Timster,
Re your choice of a TIP, if you wanted the max performance out of the car you probably made the wrong choice. If you chose the TIP for the convenience of not having to shift it yourself in traffic then accept it for what you chose it for. Re the other performance issues that you feel it is lacking, there are plenty of easy things that you can do. This list is filled with stories of how people have added even more performance than the car already has. If its HP that you feel is lacking then add a Unichip. If you go with a freer exhaust and a different air filter you can bump the HP even more, though it sounds like you wouldn't like the added "noise", something which I love btw. Regarding excessive body roll and rough ride, you could go with a progressive rate spring, and further could go with matched shocks or even further with a set of adjustable shocks or coilovers. The bottom line in my opinion, is the tt is a good, strong performer as it is but easily lends itself to much more if that is what you are after. My own next step is a new set of H&R adjustable coilovers. I can't wait!

Bob M.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:35 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts
I just drove a ZO6 on the track yesterday (had my 02 X50 and my 53 Kurtis 500S there as well)
The Zo6 doesn't feel stronger than the Porsche (granted mine has the performance option), it does turn in a little better, but is harder to put the power down coming out of slower corners. The Porsche has as much performance as many all out race cars from earlier years.
Even when the ZO6 went to full race rubber, it wasn't faster than the Porsche. Maybe your Tip saps a little of the power, or maybe the ZO6 got a jump before you hit the boost, but if your car is running right, I doubt you'd get completely smoked. I also don't hear front-end noise in my car.
As far as comfort, the current TT is much more comfortable than previous generations on the highway, but I've also said that for a long highway trip I prefer my BMW 850CSI. Every car is a compromise. The TT has a little extra weight, but gains 4wheel drive usability and a great quality feel. If what you really want is raw power, I guess you ought to look at a Kurtis. It will out-accelerate the Porsche, but won't turn or go in a straight line. It also won't idle in traffic, can't be used in the wet, and doesn't allow conversation. But, from 20 to 120 mph, no contest with the ZO6 or TT. AS
Old 08-20-2002, 12:37 AM
Timster
Intermediate

[quote]Originally posted by Bob M:
<strong>Timster,
Re your choice of a TIP, if you wanted the max performance out of the car you probably made the wrong choice. If you chose the TIP for the convenience of not having to shift it yourself in traffic then accept it for what you chose it for. Re the other performance issues that you feel it is lacking, there are plenty of easy things that you can do. This list is filled with stories of how people have added even more performance than the car already has. If its HP that you feel is lacking then add a Unichip. If you go with a freer exhaust and a different air filter you can bump the HP even more, though it sounds like you wouldn't like the added "noise", something which I love btw. Regarding excessive body roll and rough ride, you could go with a progressive rate spring, and further could go with matched shocks or even further with a set of adjustable shocks or coilovers. The bottom line in my opinion, is the tt is a good, strong performer as it is but easily lends itself to much more if that is what you are after. My own next step is a new set of H&R adjustable coilovers. I can't wait!

Bob M.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Bob,
Thanks for the sound advise. Coil overs is the way to go for precision handling. I will keep it in mind.
Thanks again,
Tim
Old 08-20-2002, 08:33 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Timster,

Sorry you are not happy with your TT.
I too have a 01 996 TT with tiptronic. I really love it. I bought it for a change. All my other cars are/have been manual gearbox.

I am a bit of a different bird though since I race IMSA/ALMS and Grand-Am. All I really care about is performance, handling, braking, safety. Comfort is less important to me, although not bad.

I raced a Porsche 935 for 7 years, Spice GTP for 2 years, Can-Am 4 years, and currently am driving in a Viper GTSR, and Lola SR1. Along with the shifter kart (Birel with SwedeTech Honda) that I run twice a week to stay in shape.

For the last 16 years I have also instructed very often at many road courses -

The reason for all my meandering is the following :

I did back to back tests driving students and my cars :

Best times listed -

(1) Stock Z06-With Hoosiers ( 1:41:43)
(2) Stock 01 996 TT-6 Speed-Hoosiers ( 1:40:02 )
(3) Stock 01 996 TT-Tip -Hoosiers ( 1:40:46 )
(4) Stock 01 996 TT - Tip - Kuhmos-full tread ( 1:42:21 )

In all cases it was several seconds a lap faster with PSM turned off in the Porsche.

The 996 TT was quicker in tip and 6 speed form than the Z06 but just about 1 second at this track.

As you can imagine, there were several places on the track where each car excelled. They were both very fast on the straights. The Z06 exited some turns faster but not all since my apex and apex to exit speed was higher in the turbo in quite a few turns.

The brakes are exponentially better in the Porsche.

The Z06 felt faster, but was not - probably the great V8 sound.

I am not biased, since I am always willing to drive any well prepared race car. I have even thought of running a Z06 in Speedvision GT as well especially since the ongoing race costs are quite a bit lower.

But as an overall package (disregarding cost) I really like the TT much better.

Now if you like acceleration, my historic Lola CanAm is 1850 lbs and over 720 HP and 650 ft-lbs torque.

Just my input FWIW...
Norm
Old 08-21-2002, 01:30 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In a drag race a tip is quite a bit slower than a 6 speed. You could always just get a z06 with an automatic. Oh that's right, it doesn't come in an automatic.

Compare apples to apples.
Old 08-21-2002, 03:13 AM
Cog
3rd Gear

Question

Timster-could you be more specific about your disatisfaction? You mentioned deterioration-is it noise vibration and harshness? Have things broken on the car, and couldn't be repaired under warranty?

I just took delivery on a new '02 X-50, and sold my '97 993 NA. So far (200 miles) it is tight, handles like a go cart, and don't think I would have a problem driving it to Laguna Seca from SD (6 or so hours). I am trying figure out what to expect.

BTW-On the 993,I had the dreaded 'popcorn popping' noise from the windshield (which was never fixed, even with teflon rope, a replacement windshield and other suggested fixes like ice wax).

When new, the 993 came from the dealer needing a four wheel alignment(?). The sunroof made terrible noises and was adjusted by the Dealer, which fixed most of the problem. But unless you wanted a racket overhead, you could not drive the car with the sunroof fully open.

However, it ran like a top, the 'noise' it made was far preferable to anything on the radio. I could always find it in parking lot, even here in SoCal. And yes, with only 282HP, a good Camaro driver could get a jump on me, but the stock Mustang guys would slink away. No one challenged, if there was a few corners coming up.

Anyway-a 'jumping' front end doesn't sound right and neither does excessive body roll. Take it to someone you trust. Anything else?
Old 08-21-2002, 06:39 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts
Question to ngoldrich. Do you think that a tt with coilovers but stock tires would be quicker than one with stock suspension and race rubber? My impression after 6 laps at Gingerman was that the tires were the limiting factor. Your data on the Kuhmo's vs Hoosiers suggests the Hoosiers were 2 seconds per lap faster (and I'm guessing the Kuhmo's were faster in turn than stock rubber), so the question is do coilovers subtract at least 2 seconds per lap with stock rubber? My guess is no, but data would be nice. The reason the question is important is that the standard tt ride height is already marginal for day-to-day use, so a suspension modification is much harder to reverse than a tire swap.
As a former LolaT163 racer (sold mine in 1993), I couldn't agree more with your closing comments. Once you know the acceleration of an all-out CanAm car, extensive power mods to a street car seem relatively pointless. You can't get to the extremes of power without extremes of compromise. My CanAm car had street license plates, and was a real thrill for a quick ride to the supermarket when my wife said we were low on milk, but 25 miles was about as much as you could take. AS

Quick Reply: The car just doesn’t measure up!