Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done or thought of NOS for 996TT???

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 04:50 AM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Has anyone done or thought of NOS for 996TT???

Ok,
I know it would be tough but I just saw 2 Fast 2 Furious and it seems nice to have a button that can make you blast off once in a while.
I know that the gears on the TT are already short as it is (especially on the X50) and so NOS can probably only be used in 4th or higher gears (mainky on highway).
Just want to see if anyone ever did this or thought about it.
Maybe my next post will be has anyone done or thought of under car neon's on a 996TT - lol
Old 06-10-2003, 04:57 AM
wilber
Racer

May a set of big turbo is better than NOS.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:53 AM
Grant-UK
Cruisin'

Guy's when is enough enough, the standard car is up to speed so fast how can you keep your license's with all these mods. I find the standard car fast enough & well balanced as a handling, interactive performance package, just fancy a sports exhaust. Sounds like it's just a matter of time B4 you lot are up 1000hp !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2003, 11:27 AM
ebaker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can never have too much power.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:41 AM
Ruiner
Instructor

You would be better to run a Water/Alcohol injection system and up the boost. Nitrous really isn't needed until you get to a turbo that is so large that it needs some 'pre-spool' help. Why run nitrous when you could just 'up' the boost?

I would suggest running a good water-alcohol injection setup and crank the boost up a few psi. It will be cheaper, will fight against knock/detonation, and you will be able to push your stock fuel system that much further.

Here-in lies the problem: We need a way to adjust the boost on the fly. With the Japanese imports, you could simply just hook up an electronic boost controller and leave the fuel mappings the same (or you could get a fuel computer that you could adjust on the fly as well). With the touch of a button, you could program 1bar, 1.4bar, 1.8bar, etc. However, with the Porsche things become a bit more complicated. If there was a way to perhaps set 2 or 3 boost levels (I *think* that I read about a unit that would allow you to do this), then a water-alcohol injection kit would be perfect. You could have the spray come on a particular boost level or ambient heat condition. It varies.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:00 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This is something we can do with the IBE switcher. Same concept as we can program a 91 /93 or 100 octane program.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:30 PM
Ruiner
Instructor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by PorschePhD:
<strong>This is something we can do with the IBE switcher. Same concept as we can program a 91 /93 or 100 octane program.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Now I would REALLY be interested in something like that, Stephen. I am correct to assume that it would be switchable on the fly?
Old 06-10-2003, 01:23 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

Stephen - more details please...
Old 06-10-2003, 02:08 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
i could see a 50 shot being usefull and safe. Anything more personally i'd rather just up the boost.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:23 PM
Ruiner
Instructor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by soon2be993TT:
<strong>i could see a 50 shot being usefull and safe. Anything more personally i'd rather just up the boost.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Truthfully, the only reason why you would use a small 50shot would be to spool a (or many) large turbo(s). I have a few single turbo Supra friends that do that very thing. Other than that, it is a waste IMO.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:33 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Ruiner:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by soon2be993TT:
<strong>i could see a 50 shot being usefull and safe. Anything more personally i'd rather just up the boost.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Truthfully, the only reason why you would use a small 50shot would be to spool a (or many) large turbo(s). I have a few single turbo Supra friends that do that very thing. Other than that, it is a waste IMO.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">yea, that's what we did on our drag crx when we had a turbo motor, just a 50 shot till about 5K to get the turbos spooling. Also have a good amount of friends that do it on supras, rx7's etc.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Ruiner
Instructor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by cjv:
<strong>Ruiner,

I can change my boost on the fly by simply touchong a button. I use an adaptive boost controller. 1.0, 1.2 and 1.3 bar. I cannot safely use the 1.2 or 1.3 bar settings unless I am using racing fuel.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Who makes this boost controller? Does it control fuel mappings as well or is it only boost? What are the risks/side effects of using an Electronic Boost controller on a Porsche Turbo to solely manage boost, while leaving the rest of the ECU's control stock? I was under the impression that the Porsche's DME didn't really allow for the use of an Electronic Boost controller, unlike the ECU's in most of the Japanese turbos... Maybe I am wrong?
Old 06-11-2003, 12:23 PM
jro996turbo
Instructor

Question

Chad,

Is there any risk to using the wrong ECU program with the wrong gas? What are the risks associated with say, using 91 octane gas with the 100 octane mapping?

Thanks

John
Old 06-11-2003, 01:01 PM
Ruiner
Instructor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by jro996turbo:
<strong>Chad,

Is there any risk to using the wrong ECU program with the wrong gas? What are the risks associated with say, using 91 octane gas with the 100 octane mapping?

Thanks

John</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">You may end up running too rich or lean depending on the setting. If you are mapped for 100 octane, but are running a lower octane fuel, then the risk for increased detonation is there I do believe and your knock sensor will instruct the ECU to retard timing to compensate.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:41 PM
jro996turbo
Instructor

Ruiner,

Thanks for your response.

John

Quick Reply: Has anyone done or thought of NOS for 996TT???