E-gas / left foot braking

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 06:47 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 96 Posts
Unhappy E-gas / left foot braking

Specific post:

Is there a workaround for the system so that you can left-foot brake?

Also does anyone have experience with heel and toe in this car under track conditions (i.e. lockup or impending lockup and throttle blip)

Left foot braking is CRITICAL in a 3500 lb car, what lawyer told them to do this!

Chris Brown
Old 01-20-2003, 10:54 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Heel and Toe works just fine under track conditions.

Why do you feel left foot braking is so Critical ??
Old 01-20-2003, 01:54 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Well, critical isn't really a good choice of words since I'm not racing....

But, whether or not left foot braking is utilized can mahe a huge difference when taking a turn which is at a speed attained just after an upshift. For example exiting a turn which is 65MPH flat out, it would be nice to left foot brake using 3rd gear.

Chris
Old 01-20-2003, 03:34 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is left foot braking really required in the 996TT with the tiny amount of turbo lag that the car has??
Old 01-20-2003, 06:53 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Uuhh.....required, no. It's not "required" in a 951 either for that matter.

Until they completely eliminate lag, left foot braking is important in a turbo car to achieve linear (or near linear) graduation of the torque application when exiting a corner.

Chris
Old 01-20-2003, 10:20 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Call me confused, but this concept of left foot braking has me confused along with the example provided.
Never had a problem with lag provided power is applied smoothly no flat spots appear.
Check out the A1 RING AUSTRIA at:
<a href="http://www.eaglef1.com/opener.html" target="_blank">http://www.eaglef1.com/opener.html</a>
Old 01-20-2003, 10:37 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by MJones:
<strong>Call me confused, but this concept of left foot braking has me confused along with the example provided.
Never had a problem with lag provided power is applied smoothly no flat spots appear.
Check out the A1 RING AUSTRIA at:
<a href="http://www.eaglef1.com/opener.html" target="_blank">http://www.eaglef1.com/opener.html</a></strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">MJones:

Ok, you asked for it, you are confused.

Now, onto the topic at hand. Can anyone tell me if its easy to overcome the throttle cutoff when braking? Jees, forget I mentioned left foot braking. Pretend its a hypothetical question if it makes the answer easier to come by.

I would love to see a foot cam in the yellow RUF. Wonder if this famous driver ever used LFB in a racecar or powerful turbo street car? You bet he did (and does) If however any turbocar racers want to "give me a witness" then that would be appreciated.

Chris Brown
Old 01-20-2003, 10:52 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Not only do you use left foot braking to keep the boost up but it can help you rotate the car mid turn . You are feathering th ethrottle through the turn and a slight tap with the left foot on the rake can help the back end steer the car. You can also left foot brake on turn entry when you need to shift some weight to the front to get some grip to turn. Instead of coming off and on the throttle you just use your left foot.

I could see how the e-gas could be a problem in certain scenarios.

Quick Reply: E-gas / left foot braking