Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HRE Wheels...Any Wet Driving Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 11:18 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HRE Wheels...Any Wet Driving Problems?

I have a set of 18" HRE 841R wheels with MPS2s...was wondering if anyone else has experienced similar driving problems in rain/wet conditions.

While driving in medium rain/wet conditions on a highway I experienced severe vibrations from the wheels. At ~ 70mph the car felt very unstable and had to hold the steering tight to retain control. Also experienced considerable loss of braking (I have PCCBs).

Never experienced anything this scary driving in similar or worse conditions with the OEM wheels.

Anyone have similar experiences or insights? Thanks...
Old 04-11-2006, 11:39 PM
robertp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mps2's and PCCB's on a 2005 turbo S and do not have any problems. I must be the wheel balance or rims.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:41 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Friend of mine has the same issue on his 928. If you look at the wheel, the drop bead (think this is what they call it) is on the inside. Most wheels it's on the outside edge. This channel fills with water, causing the vibration. Horrible design if you ask me. My friend spent a pretty penny having his wheels checked and rechecked until my mechanic looked at the wheels and noticed the design problem.

Not all HRE's are like this.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:13 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

HRE or any wheel with that lip design will have that problem. Water gets trapped inside the rim and causes the condition...who drives in the rain?
Old 04-12-2006, 03:51 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

this is a well know problem for HRE reverse lip wheels. You can found thread about this in many fourms. People contact HRE for this issue and seem HRE has done nothing to fix this.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:15 AM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 996
this is a well know problem for HRE reverse lip wheels. You can found thread about this in many fourms. People contact HRE for this issue and seem HRE has done nothing to fix this.
This is not an HRE Problem.... It is the same for ANY reverse lip wheel.... All the manuf. build these wheels the same.. Heck most get the parts from the same sources... The water collects in the barrel and throws off the balance of the wheel.. I have this problem with HRE and have had the exact same issue with AVUS and Kinensis....

There is no fix.... That's why HRE does not have one.... Once the rain subsides you can pull over... Sit for a minute or two and the water will drain out and you will run fine again... You just can't go fast in moderate to heavy rain... I have lots of experience getting caught in downpours in Florida...

I can't answer your question about braking...
Old 04-12-2006, 09:20 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys...this confirms my take.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
...who drives in the rain?
Rain? Who cares about the rain when the real culprit is UV radiation - damages the paint and interior. I think owners should avoid driving their Turbos during the high UV periods of the day...say, from 10:00 am - 5:00 pm. This consideration is even more important for owners living at higher elevations...like Colorado.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:16 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Rain? Who cares about the rain when the real culprit is UV radiation - damages the paint and interior. I think owners should avoid driving their Turbos during the high UV periods of the day...say, from 10:00 am - 5:00 pm. This consideration is even more important for owners living at higher elevations...like Colorado.
No dock...just requires a little Zaino, tinted windows and high speeds of course! I never heard of UV effecting wheel performance though (which is what this thread is about)...I learned something new from dock!
Old 04-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wross996tt
No dock...just requires a little Zaino, tinted windows and high speeds of course! I never heard of UV effecting wheel performance though (which is what this thread is about)...I learned something new from dock!
Zaino does not provide UV protection. And tinted windows don't help if the top is down.

High speed just wears the paint faster (friction).

And UV deteriorates the tires faster, reducing the tread, which causes poor wet road performance and higher water movement to the side of the tire = more water collecting in the lip of the wheel

Just face it, the best thing an owner can do is leave his Turbo in the garage if there is rain, the roads are wet, there's any wind (blowing dust, sand, grit), or the sun is shinning.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:53 PM
robertp
Racer

I would have never known because when it rains, I drive the minivan or truck. The way the owner described the problem, I assumed that the tire or rim balancing was being thrown off.

If you are worried about UV radiation, do not fly. The worst exposure is at 35,000 ft. Who cares about exposure to paint when exposure to you internal organs cause DNA molecules to denature and the is called cancer.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:53 PM
robertp
Racer

I would have never known because when it rains, I drive the minivan or truck. The way the owner described the problem, I assumed that the tire or rim balancing was being thrown off.

If you are worried about UV radiation, do not fly. The worst exposure is at 35,000 ft. Who cares about exposure to paint when exposure to you internal organs cause DNA molecules to denature and the is called cancer.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Zaino does not provide UV protection. And tinted windows don't help if the top is down.

High speed just wears the paint faster (friction).

And UV deteriorates the tires faster, reducing the tread, which causes poor wet road performance and higher water movement to the side of the tire = more water collecting in the lip of the wheel

Just face it, the best thing an owner can do is leave his Turbo in the garage if there is rain, the roads are wet, there's any wind (blowing dust, sand, grit), or the sun is shinning.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robertp
Don't worry about the personal risks associated with flying...it's not about the owner, it's about the car. Remember, the car will be around long after the owner is gone.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:04 PM
RobynC
Pro

I haven't any problems with my 19"s....I have heard of it being a problem, but I haven't experienced it.

Now, with the UVs....another story!

Quick Reply: HRE Wheels...Any Wet Driving Problems?