Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HRE Wheels...Any Wet Driving Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 11:21 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Why wouldn't this be a reason to demand a refund? Not buying another set is a pretty passive response for having paid for a product that can't be used for its expected purpose.
AS
Old 04-16-2006, 01:40 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Why wouldn't this be a reason to demand a refund? Not buying another set is a pretty passive response for having paid for a product that can't be used for its expected purpose.
AS
The HRE folks have not even had the courtesy to return my phone calls. Now for $6k I guess I could get bent out shape...hire a lawyer...take them to task...throw good money after bad...and get my blood pressure up. Or I could make others aware of these issues with both the product and the company...
Old 04-16-2006, 02:32 PM
duydle
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a set of Rev IForged wheels with a 4 inch deep dish lip on the rears. I'm not sure if these are reversed lip like the HREs? Making me think I might have the same problem. Can one of you guys explain to me what exactly is a reverse lip?
Old 04-16-2006, 04:38 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

The easiest test is after you wash your car is there water sitting in the rim? There is a lip on the inside which prevents this water from just flowing out...that is the problem.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:55 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Can anybody post a picture of this problem style? AS
Old 04-16-2006, 05:31 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

AS, not great phtos, but you can see the lip on the far side of the rim (on the inside).
Old 04-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Can anybody post a picture of this problem style? AS

Any HRE wheel that has an "R" after it is a reverse lip wheel...

Go to HREwheels.com and look at any of the 5 series wheels with an 'R' after them... I'm sure the 8 series are the same I just never had personal experience with them like the 5R's..

Like I mentioned though, this is not just an HRE problem... I have had the same issue on 3 different wheels from 3 different companies.... You just live with it... and drive slower in medium to heavy rain... It is not that big of a deal really....

If that is not acceptable to someone than they should buy steped lip rims like the regular 5 series or go with something along the lines of techarts... With no lips.... They still have plenty of choices out there..

The "R's" came out to give a larger flat lip..
Old 04-16-2006, 09:42 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

step lip:
http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheel...bstn_ci2_l.jpg

reverse lip:
http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheel...bsml_ci2_l.jpg

mine Cargraphic is reverse lip and did not have this problem. If you want more info. you can contact cargraphic USA for more info. http://www.cargraphicusa.com/
Old 04-16-2006, 10:07 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by 996
step lip:
http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheel...bstn_ci2_l.jpg

reverse lip:
http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheel...bsml_ci2_l.jpg

mine Cargraphic is reverse lip and did not have this problem. If you want more info. you can contact cargraphic USA for more info. http://www.cargraphicusa.com/
Sorry, but your pictures do not highlight the differences and the cargraphic site is under construction. The reverse lip is on the inside part of the rim...not the outside.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary (Fl)
You just live with it... and drive slower in medium to heavy rain...
Damn, thats just

Why have an AWD car if you have to drive slower in the rain than everyone else?
Old 04-17-2006, 01:03 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Originally Posted by Shark
Damn, thats just

Why have an AWD car if you have to drive slower in the rain than everyone else?
You can drive as fast as you want..... Just don't buy the wheels that have an issue...
Old 04-17-2006, 08:07 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Isn't the real queation "Why would a reputable comapny sell wheels like that?" After the first indication that they created a series of water-trapping channels, wouldn't a revsision be better than an blighted product?
Does this design have some unique performance characteristic- like it allows the wheel to be much lighter, or make it much stronger? Seems really wrong, but very good that someone pointed it out. AS
Old 04-17-2006, 08:25 PM
robertp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they did not know before production, poor testing. If they new shortly after production, then need to sell inventory and redesign.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:59 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Originally Posted by robertp
If they did not know before production, poor testing. If they new shortly after production, then need to sell inventory and redesign.
I would agree with that accessment.. They had the problem with the 5 series and then came out with the 8 series later.. This thread was started about 8's so the problem and design just stayed the same...

And some other companies have the same design and problem...
Old 06-11-2006, 11:50 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Damon,

I looked in detail at a set of SSR GT3s today at an AutoX. I can see the little trough on the inside of the rim there too...I'm guessing this wheel would have the same issue. The owner said he really doesn't drive in the rain so couldn't comment, but he did notice how the trough held water when he was washing the car.

On an aside, by finally seeing that thing close up, I get what people are saying. It isn't a lip so much as it is sort of a trough all the way around the wheel on the insed

Quick Reply: HRE Wheels...Any Wet Driving Problems?