996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK...I'm a convert...Zaino!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006 | 09:55 PM
rmklaw
Instructor

I usually fire up the propane heater in the garage to bring temp to 70 F. Using the ZFX accelerator I dont have to wait more than one hour between coats. I apply three coats of Z2 alternating with three coats of Z6 in one day plus two of each the next day, and finish with one spray coat of Z8 at the end.

I am tempted to try the Souveran or P21S carnauba as final coat. My fear is haze from Souveran or P 21 S on black. Any thoughts?

Last edited by rmklaw; 04-09-2006 at 09:59 PM. Reason: change
Old 04-10-2006 | 12:37 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by rmklaw
I am tempted to try the Souveran or P21S carnauba as final coat. My fear is haze from Souveran or P 21 S on black. Any thoughts?
I also am tempted, but I'll let you try it first (I don't think you will get haze with P21S..never have). Right now I think the Zaino and occasional Z8 spray is just fantastic.
Old 04-10-2006 | 09:53 AM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Originally Posted by rmklaw
I usually fire up the propane heater in the garage to bring temp to 70 F. Using the ZFX accelerator I dont have to wait more than one hour between coats. I apply three coats of Z2 alternating with three coats of Z6 in one day plus two of each the next day, and finish with one spray coat of Z8 at the end.

I don't think you will get haze with the PS21... It may give more depth but it does not last at all in the sun.... I also only wait an hour between coats when using the ZFX.....
Old 04-14-2006 | 06:04 PM
Boulder GT3
Rennlist Member

Default Zaino rev.2

As mentioned earlier, I had a hard time getting good results out of Zaino. Based on this thread, I started over and I'm pretty happy with the reuslts.

I have a wash bay in my garage so the humidity is pretty high and that's why I was fighting the cure times and not getting a crisp and bright finish. Even with the accelerator I couldn't get it to set hard enough after two hours.

This stuff works best at 70-80 degrees and pretty low humidity. I don't think there is a huge amount of tolerance. It also took 3 coats to get it where I wanted so it's pretty time consuming. That said, the results are excellent. It's pretty reflective so it really looks good on the speed yellow IMO. I also like that it fills many small flaws without abrasion.

I've learned that the high end show car guys have differant tastes on depth vs. reflective and so on. Zaino seems to strike a good balance. I'll be interested to see how it holds up. I like the finish of p21, Griott's, and 3M pro but they only last a couple of weeks.

Enough of this nuttiness. Off to drive the car.
Old 04-14-2006 | 11:39 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Pictures
Old 04-15-2006 | 12:16 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Great day for driving in Boulder! Good idea...post some pics...please!
Old 04-15-2006 | 01:05 AM
Boulder GT3
Rennlist Member

Default Wax on wax off

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Great day for driving in Boulder! Good idea...post some pics...please!
I'll get some pictures out this weekend. I want to do the Gallardo and my wifes car. Zaino, everything is a nail when you've got a hammer. Good discovery but now I want to do everything with it. If I put a post up about Zaino'ing my truck please have someone hit me with a 2x4.

Quick Reply: OK...I'm a convert...Zaino!