Sponsored by:

speeding ticket via pacing...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 07:19 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

The big picture is that our discussion here will probably not change state and local government's approach to their scam "revenue enhancement program".

I suggest doing all you can not to get caught speeding, and if you do get caught, do everything you can in the courts to get out of it.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:25 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robertp
If cops obey the traffic laws, how will they catch the people speeding or catch up to a person who ran a red light? Come on use that brain that put your but into that high end car we all love to speed in. At least I can admit I do not have a halo over my head when I am in my Porsche, Ferrari or Benz. And If they are good enough to catch me, I pay the fine and go on my mary way I do not CRY about haw unfair the world is. There are more cops in my city than your whole state in some instances.
Nobody's crying about it - just explaining why cops don't get the respect some feel they deserve.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:36 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robertp
If cops obey the traffic laws, how will they catch the people speeding or catch up to a person who ran a red light?
Here is Connecticut's law, other states are very similar:

Sec. 14-283. Rights of emergency vehicles. Obstruction of. (a) "Emergency vehicle", as used in this section, means any ambulance or emergency medical service organization vehicle responding to an emergency call, any vehicle used by a fire department or by any officer of a fire department while on the way to a fire or while responding to an emergency call but not while returning from a fire or emergency call, any state or local police vehicle operated by a police officer or inspector of the Department of Motor Vehicles answering an emergency call or in the pursuit of fleeing law violators or any Department of Correction vehicle operated by a Department of Correction officer while in the course of such officer's employment and while responding to an emergency call.

(b) The operator of any emergency vehicle may (1) park or stand such vehicle, irrespective of the provisions of this chapter, (2) proceed past any red light or stop signal or stop sign, but only after slowing down or stopping to the extent necessary for the safe operation of such vehicle, (3) exceed the posted speed limits or other speed limits imposed by or pursuant to section 14-218a or 14-219 as long as such operator does not endanger life or property by so doing, and (4) disregard statutes, ordinances or regulations governing direction of movement or turning in specific directions.

(c) The exemptions herein granted shall apply only when an emergency vehicle is making use of an audible warning signal device, including but not limited to a siren, whistle or bell which meets the requirements of subsection (f) of section 14-80, and visible flashing or revolving lights which meet the requirements of sections 14-96p and 14-96q, and to any state or local police vehicle properly and lawfully making use of an audible warning signal device only.

(d) The provisions of this section shall not relieve the operator of an emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and property.
So a cop can violate the traffic laws (including the speed laws) so long as he is on an emergency call or pursuing a fleeing violator and has his lights and siren on and operating in a safe manner. So how does this prevent a cop from catching bad guys?

But we weren't talking about this. We we talking about cops ignoring the law and speeding when they aren't on an emergency call and are not displaying lights or using a siren -- basically, cops acting as if they are above the law.

Stephen
Old 03-30-2006, 09:54 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sport Auto
Ok, I've gotten way behind in this thread. I guess I've been too busy out there harrassing the public! THAT WAS A JOKE. On a serious note though let me respond to some of your questions. First of all, the reason(s) that I choose to continue being a Police Officer even though I don't like the revenue producing aspect of SOME traffic enforcement is simple. I write (or used to write) tickets to motorists because it is my job. More importantly though I do what I do and continue to do what I do because I swore an oath many years ago to enforce the law (traffic laws included) and protect the citizens of whom I serve. As I explained earlier, there have been times during my career when I did not like the fact that a big part of my job was to write tickets and that I did not agree with what I perceived to be the underlying political factors as to why some of these tickets had to be written. But, as I previously explained, I did what was required of me by my superiors and by the oath of which I was sworn to uphold. The same reasoning compels me to serve and protect people who I know despise my prescence (perhaps even some of my fellow Rennlisters) and would choose to do harm to me if given the opportunity (this happens several hundred times per year across our country) because of what I represent. Do you think I enjoy providing medical attention to a felony perpetrator who has just murdered innocent people and then hurt himself by fleeing from the Police? But, after someone like that is apprehended by someone like me I again have to fulfill my duty and my oath to protect this person (in some cases from understandably outraged victims or victims families) and to ensure that his constitutional rights are not violated (so that he can't escape justice by some technicality) even though I might privately want to do otherwise. Do you think that I like seeing criminals set free by our courts because of a technicality or because there is no room for them in our overcrowded prisons? Do you think that I like the fact that year after year criminals seem to have more rights than you and I? Of course I don't, but this is the system that I chose to work within and swore an oath to uphold. And, even with all its flaws it is in my opinion the best system there is. Police Departments are para-military orginizations. It is imperative in these orginizations that men and women follow orders so that the mission of the orginizations can be carried out. I do not have the luxury of questioning orders that are given to me. Maybe you do.
Back to tickets. I do not and did not chase people down thereby endangering peoples lives to write someone a ticket for going 10 MPH over the speed limit. My personal policy was to give motorists 20 MPH except in neighborhoods. Maybe I wrote one of you a similar ticket. Maybe you are the senior driving instructor for your local PCA and are a very safe driver. How am I supposed to know that? However, maybe I wrote your son or your daughter for going 50 MPH in a 25 MPH neighborhood on his or her way home for school. And maybe by doing so I helped prevent them from hurting themselves or even worse, from hurting someone else. Is this harassment or revenue production? One day when I was a Motor Officer, I wrote a lady a ticket for going 46 MPH in a 25 MHP zone. She informed me that she was a nurse and was just in a hurry to get to work. I informed her that I understood but that I was sent to that particular street by my superiors because of an influx of speeding complaints by merchants in that area. After signing the ticket she said, "I hope you get hurt today riding that thing" (my motorcycle). I asked her if I could have the ticket back and then made it a warning. I then told her, " if I do get hurt today I hope you don't have to work on me." It was not my intention to anger her. It has not been my intention to anger any of you either. I am sorry if I have.
I originally asked because you said some things that were quite different to what I normally hear from cops. But now you sound very much like the stereotypical traffic cop. To me, it sounds like a lot of justifications and excuses.

As for Rennlist members wanting you dead and so on, I haven't heard one person here voice anything like that. I really do not know how you get there.

Stephen
Old 03-31-2006, 03:04 PM
Sport Auto
Track Day

Fixed wing, I don't believe that I said that any of you Rennlisters wanted me dead. That's ridiculous. I thought that we were just having a healthy debate about speeding, traffic laws, and their enforcement.
I did make reference to some peoples dislike for Police in general and the fact that some people try to and do harm Police Officers (several hundred times a year) but I never said that any of you gentlemen wanted me dead! If I wrote you a ticket though you might be compelled to tell me something simply out of anger like the example I made with the Nurse. I feel confident though that the members that are voicing their opinions on this thread are law abiding, professionally employed, good citizens. Their opinions about our subject matter here may be different than mine but I certainly don't think that they would want to kill me because of that. You are beginning to sound like the stereotypical lawyer.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:34 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sport Auto
Fixed wing, I don't believe that I said that any of you Rennlisters wanted me dead. That's ridiculous. I thought that we were just having a healthy debate about speeding, traffic laws, and their enforcement.
I did make reference to some peoples dislike for Police in general and the fact that some people try to and do harm Police Officers (several hundred times a year) but I never said that any of you gentlemen wanted me dead! If I wrote you a ticket though you might be compelled to tell me something simply out of anger like the example I made with the Nurse. I feel confident though that the members that are voicing their opinions on this thread are law abiding, professionally employed, good citizens. Their opinions about our subject matter here may be different than mine but I certainly don't think that they would want to kill me because of that. You are beginning to sound like the stereotypical lawyer.
I guess I misinterpreted what you meant when you said:

The same reasoning compels me to serve and protect people who I know despise my prescence (perhaps even some of my fellow Rennlisters) and would choose to do harm to me if given the opportunity (this happens several hundred times per year across our country) because of what I represent.
My mistake. Sorry.

Stephen
Old 04-01-2006, 05:06 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

I wish it were more" serve and protecting" and less "serve and collecting".

Jack
Old 04-02-2006, 02:11 PM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

But again, I have to point to the utter hypocricy of most officers we see on the road. Most every cop I see on the road is speeding, sometimes even driving in a belligerent manner -- if all cops strictly obeyed the very laws they enforced, they would earn more respect. But they lose all respect when they abuse their power. Even a small example of abuse of power, like speeding on the roads without fear of consequence, is enough to turn people against you.

To PCAR's point above, I have an interesting personal story. A couple months ago I was in my daily driver which is a quick car. I am stopped at a light in the middle lane, there are three lanes and the lane to the right of me is a merge lane. I noticed in my mirror an older black BMW 7 series recklessly whipping across the lanes he pulls up next to me in the merge lane. The light goes green and I do my usual throttle on off switch departure redline second gear than back off at 60 resting at 55MPH. (50MPH limit). The black BMW is a ways behind, he catches me, passes me in the left lane and proceeds to blast down the road, not a care in the world at what had to be WELL OVER 100MPH as if to say screw you pal I am invincible - I am literally amazed that someone would go that fast on this road as he is blowing by families in minivans, SUV etc. It didn't get him far as he is sitting at the next red light as I casually pull up next to him. I look over and to my amazement it's a COP in full uniform!! He looks over at me and points to his badge on his chest as if to say "don't mess with me." I just shook my head in disgust.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:50 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

JRoss: Amen brother; we've all been there.

Jack
Old 04-02-2006, 04:11 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRossRSA
But again, I have to point to the utter hypocricy of most officers we see on the road. Most every cop I see on the road is speeding, sometimes even driving in a belligerent manner -- if all cops strictly obeyed the very laws they enforced, they would earn more respect. But they lose all respect when they abuse their power. Even a small example of abuse of power, like speeding on the roads without fear of consequence, is enough to turn people against you.

To PCAR's point above, I have an interesting personal story. A couple months ago I was in my daily driver which is a quick car. I am stopped at a light in the middle lane, there are three lanes and the lane to the right of me is a merge lane. I noticed in my mirror an older black BMW 7 series recklessly whipping across the lanes he pulls up next to me in the merge lane. The light goes green and I do my usual throttle on off switch departure redline second gear than back off at 60 resting at 55MPH. (50MPH limit). The black BMW is a ways behind, he catches me, passes me in the left lane and proceeds to blast down the road, not a care in the world at what had to be WELL OVER 100MPH as if to say screw you pal I am invincible - I am literally amazed that someone would go that fast on this road as he is blowing by families in minivans, SUV etc. It didn't get him far as he is sitting at the next red light as I casually pull up next to him. I look over and to my amazement it's a COP in full uniform!! He looks over at me and points to his badge on his chest as if to say "don't mess with me." I just shook my head in disgust.
That's amazing.. I'm sure most cops aren't that wreckless, but some of them obviously are. I was going to say "why didn't you take his plate number and report him," then I realized how useless that would have been.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:17 AM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Ah, Chicago again. Jazus. Not suprising. Worst place in my experience for police. Wierd thing is that California is supposed to be the fascist police state, and indeed Chicago is ten thousand times worse.

Quick Reply: speeding ticket via pacing...