speeding ticket via pacing...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
You think a cop is worried about public safety when he puts the lights on and speeds up to 100mph to catch a guy driving home from work doing 10mph over the limit? The impression I got (from the Clearwater PD anyway) was "the thrill of the chase." Gets their adrenaline going.
Yes, it's part of the perk for officers...shooting laser/radar from the side of the road, followed by "the chase" where he can blast through traffic to catch the guy driving 30-40 mph slower than the officer just did to chase him down.

I could never be a cop, because I couldn't live with myself giving speeding tickets.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:55 PM
robertp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no problem talking about my profession before retirement. I started three businesses over the last 20 years, Software Development, Property Management, and Grape Farming. When I turned 40 (three years ago) I retired and only manage two of my business from the background. I now spend most of my time as a stay at home parent for my two children, one is 20 months and the other is three years old. My wife is both a Doctor and an Attorney and works as an Intellectual Property and Patent Attorney.

If you look back at the posts on this topic, I was one of the few that does not have a problem with law enforcement and there perks (no traffic tickets). If you are willing to do the job, you get the perks.

I asked you the questions as an interested party and not to mock you in any way. I would like an honest answer.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:03 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by robertp
I have no problem talking about my profession before retirement. I started three businesses over the last 20 years, Software Development, Property Management, and Grape Farming. When I turned 40 (three years ago) I retired and only manage two of my business from the background. I now spend most of my time as a stay at home parent for my two children, one is 20 months and the other is three years old. My wife is both a Doctor and an Attorney and works as an Intellectual Property and Patent Attorney.

If you look back at the posts on this topic, I was one of the few that does not have a problem with law enforcement and there perks (no traffic tickets). If you are willing to do the job, you get the perks.

I asked you the questions as an interested party and not to mock you in any way. I would like an honest answer.
This is exactly what I'm talking about with the hypocricy - you consider it a "perk" that you can abuse the very laws you enforce on others. Cops are paid well relative to their marketable skills. They don't deserve to abuse the laws on top of it.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:08 PM
robertp
Racer

They are very, very underpaid along with Teachers.

Get a grip, what is the big deal is they do not give one another traffic tickets.

If you think that they are not that intelligent and deserve only the compensation that they receive, then you should be able to out smart them on the road and not receive any traffic tickets.

If you have received several tickets, then they are smarter than you. I have not gotten a ticket in 20 years and have never been caught speeding in my Porsche, Benz, Ferrari or Mustang.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:39 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

They are very, very underpaid along with Teachers.

Get a grip, what is the big deal is they do not give one another traffic tickets.

If you think that they are not that intelligent and deserve only the compensation that they receive, then you should be able to out smart them on the road and not receive any traffic tickets.

If you have received several tickets, then they are smarter than you. I have not gotten a ticket in 20 years and have never been caught speeding in my Porsche, Benz, Ferrari or Mustang.
My friend who makes ~$50k as a police officer is not qualified for most $35k jobs in the private sector here in Florida. That is WHY he became a cop. They are not underpaid for their skillset. That they are "underpaid" is a dishonest argument, based on nothing but wishful thinking.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:52 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport Auto
Robertp and FixedWing, Before I start responding to your questions let me ask you one. What is it that you gentlemen do for a living?
I am trained as a lawyer but I do not earn a living as a lawyer. At least in part, my reason for this is my personal disillusionment with the profession and the legal system in general. I consider it a sham. And I do not feel that I could live with myself if I were to ignore my moral objections solely for my own personal profit.

Ok, I've answered your question. Now you answer mine.

Stephen

Last edited by FixedWing; 03-28-2006 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:03 PM
robertp
Racer

They are under paid for risking there life going to work every day. I just think that cops have a tuff job and I would not do it for any amount of money.

I totally understand all of the points argued on this thread and respect them; I also respect law enforcements job duties.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:15 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

I disagree. It is a big deal.

Firstly, it is the "brotherhood" -- the idea that they are a fraternity expected to protect each other's personal interests.

Secondly, it is this feeling of entitlement that they seem to have. Power corrupts. People who believe themselves above the law are dangerous people.

Thirdly, how can someone expected to enforce the law also believe that they are somehow above it? If anything, someone who is charged with that roll has a greater duty to obey the law and not a lesser one. Consider the example that they set for everyone else.

Lastly, if speeding is dangerous for you and I, then how is their speeding any less dangerous when they do it? So why are they morally allowed to endanger other's lives where you and I are not? There is absolutely no logic to it.

And how does being overpaid or underpaid affect any of this?

I have found myself involuntarily in a patrol car being driven by a trooper in a non-emergency situation who was reading at night with the dome light on and speeding. He also happened to be a pretty incompetent driver. I felt quite unsafe. When I objected I was basically told that he could do what the hell he pleased.

Stephen
Old 03-28-2006, 08:24 PM
robertp
Racer

Felony infractions by cops should be punished and I believe most cops would arrest within there fraternity. Traffic violations, no way. Is speeding dangerous? Depends upon the driver. I can get away with speeding, not get caught and stay safe. Can you do the same?
Old 03-28-2006, 08:28 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 550 Posts

Good points Stephen - I agree with you 100%.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:57 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Felony infractions by cops should be punished and I believe most cops would arrest within there fraternity. Traffic violations, no way. Is speeding dangerous? Depends upon the driver. I can get away with speeding, not get caught and stay safe. Can you do the same?
I have had a pretty high ranking cop complain bitterly to me about the criminal indictment by a prosecutor of a cop who caused a fatal accident going through a red light. He felt that they should be civilly liable but not criminally liable. So would a cop pursue a serious violation? I personally have my doubts.

As for speeding and safety, I have my view on the topic and no doubt you do too. Maybe we even agree? But I don't think that is relevant. Speeding either is or is not dangerous. If it is not dangerous then why are they enforcing speeding laws? If it is dangerous then why are they not obeying the speeding laws? To try to have it both ways is the definition of hypocrisy.

Stephen
Old 03-28-2006, 11:17 PM
robertp
Racer

If cops speeding and causing accidents was such a huge issue, lawyers would be suing city, county and state agencies and the national publicity would be monumental. I have not heard of any such issue and do not think that there is such an issue.

What are cops going to do every time someone tries to get away and exceeds the speed limit? Let them go?

If speeding is so dangerous, why can you drive 160 MPH in Europe?

Why do manufacturers make cars that exceed the national speed limit in 2nd gear and allow them to be exported into a country where speed kills so many people?

Is the manufacturer now responsible? Is our government now accountable because they know that people will speed and as you and the high ranking officer has stated, “SPEED KILLS”.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:46 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Rule of law. Period. It isn't that cops not ticketing each other is a big deal, its a matter of principal. An honest cop who was pulled over would accept a ticket, becuase it may be his job to be a PO, but following the law is his DUTY as a citizen. Rule of law was one of the founding pricipals of this country, and one that cannot be overlooked even in the smallest instances. It is a door that should be left closed, lest corruption gain even the smallest foothold.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:09 AM
robertp
Racer

That is a bunch of crap. You are dreaming.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:21 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

This isn't a perfect world, but its only as good as it is because of "Dreams", and people who try to accomplish them. What if you maintained a vehicle with that kind of mentality? One seemingly small problem can sometimes lead to complete destruction, wouldnt you agree?

Quick Reply: speeding ticket via pacing...