Sponsored by:

Stiff Shifting into gears?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 07:05 PM
sym3pilot
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiff Shifting into gears?

i drove my buddies 01' turbo the other day and noticed how smooth his car shifted into all gears, my 01' has always been stiff and kinda knotchy? i have issues sometimes shifting into 2nd, and the other gears are a lot stiffer then his.. how is everyones experience with this?
Old 03-06-2006, 07:36 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine is pretty smooth. I have an '01 with the Porsche SSK. Even before I installed the SSK it ws smooth.

Do either cars have SSK intalled? Are you comparing apples/apples?

Adam
Old 03-06-2006, 07:59 PM
robertp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clutch could be going or low on fluid.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:01 PM
sym3pilot
Track Day

Originally Posted by alevine
Mine is pretty smooth. I have an '01 with the Porsche SSK. Even before I installed the SSK it ws smooth.

Do either cars have SSK intalled? Are you comparing apples/apples?

Adam
i have the b&m ssk, but even comparing stock to stock it is a lot different.. i did a search and found some members with the same issues.. it has loosened up quite a bit since the ssk install, but still not like his...
Old 03-07-2006, 12:21 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Something is wrong, mine and many I have driven are ALL smooth as silk, one of my favorite things about this car. Even when I went to the porsche SSK, still smooth and easy. What does your mechanic say??
Old 03-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Lizard1
Racer

mine is stiff as well. almost like you have to pause a second to let the synchros line up. definitely different than my '03 996 and my '03 986S. mine was also popping out of 2nd intermittently so they replaced my tranny under warranty. however, the stiff/not smooth shifting is still present. i had the dealer install the porsche SSK and it actually improved it a little but there is still some notchiness that is not from the SSK. let me know if you ever figure it out. the dealer definitely recognized that something was not right but didn't know what was wrong. i've just grrown to tolerate it as i don't won't to be without my car indefinitely at the dealer

i have an '03tt by the way
Old 03-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

My '02 with B&M shifter is a little stiff on the 1-2 and 2-1 shifts the first drive of the day in cold weather. But once the transmission warms up a little, all the shifts are smooth.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Kiko
Racer

Changing gearbox oil improved things by 30%-50% the only thing that really cures is applying copper grease on main shaft where the clutch bearing runs... this will make the clutch disengage further therefore better.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:36 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiko
Changing gearbox oil improved things by 30%-50% the only thing that really cures is applying copper grease on main shaft where the clutch bearing runs... this will make the clutch disengage further therefore better.

If, depressing the clutch pedal down does not completly disengage the disc from the flywheel, no amount of grease on the shaft is going to help. Whether the disc is away from the flywheel 1 mm or 1 inch, it will make NO difference, It is still disengaged.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:32 PM
robertp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the past I had two cars do the same thing and always a new clutch and throughout bearing did the trick.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Kiko
Racer

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
If, depressing the clutch pedal down does not completly disengage the disc from the flywheel, no amount of grease on the shaft is going to help. Whether the disc is away from the flywheel 1 mm or 1 inch, it will make NO difference, It is still disengaged.
What happens is that with time and dust the throw bearing won't travel all the way and the clutch won't fully disengage. When changing the clutch just removing the gearbox does the job thats why many say the problem is in the clutch (in many cars like BMW, not just Porsche) but in fact its not, its the main shaft that needs a good clean and lube.

Porsche1999, you can say whatever you want but the fact is I learned this from the time I work at BMW and it worked for me in 3 different cars, haven't done it in the Porsche though...
Old 03-07-2006, 08:31 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Kiko
What happens is that with time and dust the throw bearing won't travel all the way and the clutch won't fully disengage. When changing the clutch just removing the gearbox does the job thats why many say the problem is in the clutch (in many cars like BMW, not just Porsche) but in fact its not, its the main shaft that needs a good clean and lube.

Porsche1999, you can say whatever you want but the fact is I learned this from the time I work at BMW and it worked for me in 3 different cars, haven't done it in the Porsche though...

In more than 35 years of racing and engine building, I have yet to see, even one throwout bearing get stuck on the input shaft, short of a complete failure of the shaft. Do you realize how much pressure the plate applies to the bearing as it pushes it back? You would be hard pressed to get the bearing to bind on the shaft if you epoxied the 2 together. If, the impossible WERE to happen, a little grease will not do anything to repair the obvious severe damage to the shaft and or bearing which caused the binding.

If your throwout bearing is not travelling back all the way, it is becasue of a problem with the plate, fork or hydraulic system.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:25 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
In more than 35 years of racing and engine building, I have yet to see, even one throwout bearing get stuck on the input shaft, short of a complete failure of the shaft.
It was a common problem with the 964 (it happened to me), so much so that Porsche added a polyamide insert to the release bearing hoping to solve it (see images below). The prior solution (as used on earlier 911s) was to lubricate the sliding surface of the guide tube with a high-pressure grease (Optimoly NP/MPO). The TSB documenting the problem is #9302 dated March 30, 1993. In July of 2000 Porsche issued another TSB (for the 996) recommending reapplying grease to the guide sleeve as part of a solution to another problem, noise. The 996 has had issues with rolling sealing rings admitting air into the hydraulic lines but that would cause other problems (sticking pedal, etc.) One solution some 993 owners have had luck with is to leave the gearbox in 2nd gear when they park. The next day they don't have any problems shifting from 1st to 2nd with a cold transmission.

Old 03-08-2006, 03:52 PM
sym3pilot
Track Day

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
One solution some 993 owners have had luck with is to leave the gearbox in 2nd gear when they park. The next day they don't have any problems shifting from 1st to 2nd with a cold transmission.
interesting, ill have to try that out
Old 03-08-2006, 04:09 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Jason. There is no TSB for bellhousing noise had nothing to do with the release bearing, but the fork that has been redesigned. It is obvious in your picture above that there was a material failure in the 964 bearing.

Quick Reply: Stiff Shifting into gears?