Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do all 996tt have PSM? And do they all the option of switching it off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006 | 01:26 PM
bdhill
Advanced

Default Do all 996tt have PSM? And do they all the option of switching it off?

My apologies for the question if it is stupid...just need to know. Thanks in advance
Old 02-08-2006 | 02:16 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Yes, all TTs do have PSM. They can be shut off but yaw control is still active when the brakes are applied. Meaning you can spin going under acceleration but the minute you look at the brakes and the car sees the situation is not good it will take over the TB and brakes.
Old 02-09-2006 | 11:05 PM
billystang993
Advanced

STEVE,
so when you shut off the PSM you can spin the wheels,
when is on is it better for quicker acceleration?
you think should be off or on for sports driving?
thanks
Old 02-09-2006 | 11:29 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I would shut it off. In fact I do almost the minute I get in the car. It will spin the wheels. My car makes enough power that if I don't shut it off I normally have the car trying to put me through the windshield when I hit the throttle. It shuts the TB on me to stop the wheel spin.
Old 02-10-2006 | 01:02 AM
omega
Racer

stephen if you wear your safty belts. you will not hit the windsheild te he
Old 02-10-2006 | 10:22 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Can I add.......it's a personal thing......you can get very used to it (and fairly good with it).........I have gone back to leaving it 'on' full time on the track.........I continue to bring the car back in one piece, & turn some very respectable times (while having a blast).

I have no problem conceding this it's not 'real' motosports, or admitting to anyone that PSM is sometimes a better driver than I..........or apologize for having an unfair advantage.
Old 02-10-2006 | 09:26 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
I would shut it off. In fact I do almost the minute I get in the car. It will spin the wheels. My car makes enough power that if I don't shut it off I normally have the car trying to put me through the windshield when I hit the throttle. It shuts the TB on me to stop the wheel spin.
With respect, Stephen, that's in your Porsche and with your driving style. I would be careful about giving blanket recommendations. Personally, I find that I can leave my PSM on much of the time. I think for most people, it is probably a good idea to leave it on. I'd hate to see someone get hurt because they turned it off for no apparent reason. So maybe it is a good idea to make clear that you are talking about your own specific situation and not in general?

Stephen
Old 02-10-2006 | 09:35 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I will buy that. I have grown up with 930s. 965s, 993TTs as personal cars and am far use to not having it. In fact I find it a real pain from all the years of driving cars with no intervention. So Stephen is correct when saying it should not be a blanket response. If you shut if off and swing the rear end out and can not drive through it or have no idea of what snap over steer means then leave it on.

Otherwise it is a blast
Old 02-11-2006 | 01:51 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I normally drive with my PSM switched off... PSM pulls too much power under hard acceleration.
Old 02-11-2006 | 11:37 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Otherwise it is a blast
Agreed.

Stephen, I wonder how you would do with the very latest version of PSM running in "sport" mode in an unmodified car? I have heard (but have no first-hand experience) that this latest version will allow one to go to quite some extremes before interjecting itself.

Stephen
Old 02-11-2006 | 08:56 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I don't know either. I too heard that it is a little more forgiving but have not heard for sure what specifically that means.
Old 02-12-2006 | 01:02 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

See the new EVO on the C4S. Apparantly, the C4S absent skid controls is a bit nasty.
By the way, I couldn't agree more about their conclusion on the EVO 8. I have never driven a car that lets you get to its limits so effortlessly. AS
Old 02-14-2006 | 02:24 AM
stuka
Pro

Yes, all TTs do have PSM. They can be shut off but yaw control is still active when the brakes are applied. Meaning you can spin going under acceleration but the minute you look at the brakes and the car sees the situation is not good it will take over the TB and brakes.
It is much much worse than that. In the dry, with PSM off, as you begin your turn in, stomp on the throttle, and PSM, even with that nice big amber light telling you that it is off, will still NOT, will NOT, allow the back end to come out.

I will so pay good money to get this sh*t ripped out so that I can drive it like a normal rear biased car. I used to be able to make turns with throttle in the E46 M3 with its hamster 330HP, and yet this can't be done with a 420HP rear biased AWD!?
Old 02-14-2006 | 02:28 AM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by FixedWing
With respect, Stephen, that's in your Porsche and with your driving style. I would be careful about giving blanket recommendations. Personally, I find that I can leave my PSM on much of the time. I think for most people, it is probably a good idea to leave it on. I'd hate to see someone get hurt because they turned it off for no apparent reason. So maybe it is a good idea to make clear that you are talking about your own specific situation and not in general?

Stephen
I have been doing DE for a while, and I don't understand why anyone who has progressed out of the slow group need PSM on. For crying out loud, it turns itself back on even when it detects power on oversteer. See my above post for example.

I like my Turbo, but it really does look like I need to get a GT2 (which I have been looking) to free myself from this stupid nanny that just won't go away. Heck, my previous hamster powered E46 M3 lets me shut off DSC and it stays off.
Old 02-14-2006 | 02:34 AM
stuka
Pro

I will buy that. I have grown up with 930s. 965s, 993TTs as personal cars and am far use to not having it. In fact I find it a real pain from all the years of driving cars with no intervention. So Stephen is correct when saying it should not be a blanket response. If you shut if off and swing the rear end out and can not drive through it or have no idea of what snap over steer means then leave it on.

Otherwise it is a blast
PSM does nothing for you if you get yourself into a momentum induced oversteer. I experienced this at the track when I first got the Turbo. I was too ham fisted in a quick left right transition, and the back end promptly swung out quite nicely.

PSM does NOTHING in this scenario.

What PSM is good at doing is killing all the fun by eliminating power on oversteer. It just can't be done in the dry. You make your turn in with the steering bound up, you stomp on the throttle, and guess what, PSM kills the power on oversteer and doesn't let the back end swing out like it should.

I have even asked Ruf to see if they have a 2WD conversion or PSM reprogramming and received no on both questions.

I really really want to keep my Turbo, but it's looking like I need to get a GT2 to be able to drive it like a normal rear biased car.

Quick Reply: Do all 996tt have PSM? And do they all the option of switching it off?