Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do all 996tt have PSM? And do they all the option of switching it off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 04:01 PM
stuka
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodster
CJV
probably Todd K., or Garret thru EVO ??
who/how else can it be done?

Marty
I have emails from Ruf and GIAC telling me that they won't do PSM disable.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:19 AM
boqueron
Pro

I drive car my on the streets witn the PSM ON and at the track ( where I am even more concentrated ) with PSM OFF. With it OFF I have been allways reaching the 1st or 2nd best time in each DE with other Porsches, Ferraris, etc... PSM has not interfered with resuts...when OFF !

Not only this. I attend sliding track days and next may I will be atending a Drifting day in a track. Drifting at serious speed with the TT... I expect no problem at all with the PSM OFF. I have to admit that it's far easier to drift or/and slide with any BMW but this should mainly caused by the weight distribuition ( I think) more than with the PSM interfering once off..

On a sliding course my PSM went crazy . Even being off, after 15 minutes of continous slides in right/left corners one after the other, the PSM started lighting as well as the brake light !!. I let the car rest. Started again and it disappeared until today.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:14 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by boqueron
I drive car my on the streets witn the PSM ON and at the track ( where I am even more concentrated ) with PSM OFF. With it OFF I have been allways reaching the 1st or 2nd best time in each DE with other Porsches, Ferraris, etc... PSM has not interfered with resuts...when OFF !

On a sliding course my PSM went crazy . Even being off, after 15 minutes of continous slides in right/left corners one after the other, the PSM started lighting as well as the brake light !!. I let the car rest. Started again and it disappeared until today.
I drive all my cars with traction controls turned off no matter what, because frankly, if you have the basic RWD 101, it is not a big deal. It really isn't. Being able to keep the car straight should be the first priority prior to the start of the track events, but apparently most people on this board don't think so. Oh well, keep your electronic nannys, just stay away from me at the track with your false sense of fast-ness.

I have seen too many people on the track that progressed to the fast group without basic RWD skills because PSM and DSC have been able to save their sorry behinds. Too many ended up with spectacular crashes because of this.

So far, PSM seems more trouble than it's worth. But anyway, my sales guy who sold me the Turbo is looking for a GT3 for me.

BMW's are easier to slide because BMW allows their cars to have a system that can be completely turned off so that the car behaves like a normal RWD car. The GT3 that I test drove was quite easy to get sidewways, it did surprised the sales guy though...
Old 02-20-2006, 08:35 AM
Chris Ward
Advanced

Any one heard this before....is this ball**** or is there any fact to it...
However, I was told by one of the Porsche driving instructors that when the PSM light is on, press the button and it will raise the level at which it intervenes. You can do this 6 times, raising the level each time.
I have not tried it, but I don't think he was winding me up.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:38 AM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really doubt it...
Old 02-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Chris Ward
Advanced

Yes I very much doubt it...but I had to ask...

Quick Reply: Do all 996tt have PSM? And do they all the option of switching it off?