Sponsored by:

6 Speed of Tiptronic? AND WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Darkworx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 6 Speed of Tiptronic? AND WHY?

Ok mates... I know I'm gunna get my *** handed to me on a plate here... but here goes...and I'm sure the question has been asked before...

(RESTRICTIONS to make it fair) All machoness, I'm a man so I drive a stick, and blah blah blah aside...

HONESTLY...FOR ALL AROUND CAR, WHAT IS YOUR VERDICT? Is a 6 speed manual better or a Tiptronic 5 Speed Auto? AND the your reasons!

GAME ON PEOPLE!

~~~Runs and hides~~~
Old 01-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Personally - the 6 speed is way more fun. The "man machine interface" is what makes it a more engaging drive for me.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

The difference between "driving" & "steering". Thats all I need to know.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The Tiptronic is more practical, if in 'all around car' you mean 'daily driver in heavy stop and go traffic'.

I would say less than 20% of people can properly drive a 6 speed up and down thru the gears in a race/track situation.

If you think you can, watch a professional driver's footwork (best viewed from the passenger seat) and you'll understand why.
Ron Fellows is a great teacher of the 'double clutch samba'.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:28 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

In a Twin Turbo? 6speed all the way!
Old 01-07-2006, 09:06 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tiptronic for me. Why? Because my wife would let me get one as long as I got a Tip. She can't drive a stick. So it's Turbo Tip or no Turbo at all.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Darkworx
Instructor

Keep em coming! I'm still waiting for that one guy who will drop the RING RUN with Walter Rohl in a 6 speed vs a Tip...
Old 01-07-2006, 10:01 PM
Kiko
Racer

6 speed all the way. Reason? Simple: Porsche Tiptronic's are automatic gearboxes with manual comand unlike BMW' s SMG or Ferrari's F1 which are Manual gearboxes with semi automatic comand...
Old 01-07-2006, 10:04 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Darkworx
Keep em coming! I'm still waiting for that one guy who will drop the RING RUN with Walter Rohl in a 6 speed vs a Tip...
I think I already did:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=246651&page=2
Old 01-07-2006, 10:46 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

One of each. Tip in a standard tt for going to work. 6speed in an X50 for fun. I was on the brink, and switched from a tip to manual when my dealer offered me his sole X50 allocation in 02.
Seriously, I wanted the tip in anticipation of enterering the car in a Midwest Council Enduro. In longer races, the absence of errors is more important than absolute quickest time, and I fantasized about winning outright, since my Elise came close the year before, until my co-driver was overcome by monoxide fumes (longer story).
I felt the tip would blunt the feel of the X50, so I switched. Porsche's changing position on track use caused me to abandon the idea of competing in the car.
I've had 2 tips (90 C2 Cab and 99 Boxster)- loved them both. The tip is a great way to learn to track. It worked really well for both a son and daughter. AS
Old 01-07-2006, 11:03 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
I would say less than 20% of people can properly drive a 6 speed up and down thru the gears in a race/track situation.
While that may be true, that kind of driving is not required even during aggressive canyon carving.

The involvement the 6 speed brings to the driving experience can be enjoyed even when you're just putzing around.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:55 AM
Darkworx
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc

WOW!!! They're RUTHLESS!!!
Old 01-08-2006, 03:16 AM
Darkworx
Instructor

Can't we all just get along and love each other as fellow Turborite?
Old 01-08-2006, 12:23 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

We do(love each other as turboites).
I think the "involvement" and "skill" issues are over-emphasized. The biggest downside of the tip is that it's always had one less gear than the manual. Once you feel you have mastered the misnamed heel-toe downshift, there really isn't much of a skill element in rowing the lever. The best drivers in the world seem happy to dispense with it.
Most gear-shift lever race cars are actually clutchless now, so our use of the clutch is somewhat anachronistic. The problem for street use of the true paddle-shifters is that they are a little clumsy, and don't allow gear skipping. But, if you could have the best of both worlds, wouldn't most of us get rid of the clutch if we could?
I also don't think much of the knock that the tip is an "automatic" while the other seemingly more desriable transmissions are truely paddle-shifted manuals. The key difference is torque converter slip which is a little bit of a power robber, but does add a whole lot of smoothness in traffic. If you've tried any of the new VW/Audi 6 speed autos, you would see they have come a long way. If the tip had 6 gears, I think this discussion would be over.

My personal observation is that in traffic, the tip is faster, because you can more readily just stomp on the throttle and downshift 2 gears, than you can do manually, especially if the need comes up suddenly while you are just loafing in traffic. This is not the same as the times you are concentrating on going fast, since you are planning your shifts in advance in that circumstance.

All this ignores the point that you can do a perfect launch across the intersection every time in a tip, but typically can't in a manual. Plus, the launch in the manual is more brutal on the drivetrain. Plus, the manual is burdened by a very short first gear, so all the cars you jumped ahead, catch up when you shift. (At least that happens to me, since I don't hurry the 1-2 shift in my own car).

Pick the one you are most comfortable with. In the end, it's an emotional decision, not a practical one. I think all of us could be happy with either. AS
Old 01-08-2006, 01:14 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
...wouldn't most of us get rid of the clutch if we could?
Not a chance.

Quick Reply: 6 Speed of Tiptronic? AND WHY?