6 Speed of Tiptronic? AND WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 07:47 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
Dock, it is clear from your assumptions above that you have never taken the time to master a Tip driven in manual mode.
I've driven Tips and didn't see much that had to be mastered.

Originally Posted by fbfisher
"Involvement" "decisions" are all key elements in driving BOTH the Tip (in Manual) and a 6.
Of course both cars exhibit/require "involvement" and "decision" making elements/skills, it's just that one of them requires more than the other...and that's the point.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:13 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My frame of reference is manual mode, matching revs on down shifts is just one of the skills sets required that most tip drivers have not mastered.

Two issues with the 996 TiP transmission that's different than the 993: 1) All shifting done from the wheel, my car you can use the stick or the wheel and different situations require different methods (i.e., tight hairpins are bad places to have to shift using the wheel buttons. 2) Along with 5 gears on the 996 (which is a plus) I notice that the torque converter has less lag which makes certain shifts harder (if not impossible) to accomplish smoothly.

Given the additional leg room in a 996, along with 996 tip downsides I have identified above, I would prefer a 6 speed in a 996.

Quick Reply: 6 Speed of Tiptronic? AND WHY?