Sponsored by:

Stuff to do in '06

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 04:11 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuff to do in '06

Well, I am still having loads of fun in my '01 TT. It looks good this year as our Orange Coast Region PCA is going to have more driving events available than we were able to get last year....BUT; things I'm thinking of:

1. Two piece front brake rotors. This looks like a relatively reasonable upgrade and again a reasonable little performance gain. I want to stay with the stock pads for now and have already installed the GT-3 front brake air scoops and steel brake lines.
2. A small Amp and sub for the car. I upgraded the speakers and the head unit to the Porsche Nav but the car can't power the speakers and I now know the shop owner was right when he said "You're gonna miss an Amp Dude". These need to be small and light.
3. Drivers seat change. The GT-3 seats look good and all but they don't recline. So, how you gonna get a set or two of golf bags back there and Mrs. Coopers entire weekend wardrobe? I have the heated factory sports seats and I hate to admit but my nether regions have grown accustomed to the heat on those frigid SoCal days when I drive with the top down! I'd like to get a good snug sports seat that reclines and will take my seat heater input.

So, any thoughts on my Mad Plans for '06 out there? I'd appreciate opinions.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:51 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have changed to Pagid orange for DE events. They also work very well on the street. If I didnt know I would think they were stock around town, once they are properly "bedded" in.
Have you had your ECU flashed? ?Exhaust? looks like your airbox is changed by your avitar so I assume other mods, hard to give advise when dont know where you are starting at.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:33 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Yup, ECU by secret elves in Prussia and Euro Quiet exhaust. Also some other things in the engine room Scotty.......

1. Europipe Quiet
2. Forge BOV's
3. EVO Silicone Hose kit
4. EVO Air Intake
5. ECU as noted above
6. Y Pipe extrude honed and coated in a nice chrome look-a-like
7. Exhaust manifold ported, extrude honed, and Ceramic Coated to a zillion degrees F.
8. Kevin's GT1 Turbo's
9. TechArt suspension
10. Adjustable Sway bars (Lord protect us from ghoulies and ghosties and things that go "bump" in the night)...sorry but they do bump every now and then.
11. GT-2 Intercoolers
12. The aforementioned GT3 brake cooling air deflectors
13. Brey Krause harness bar and Schroth harness, four point. I've just purchased a harness with an "H" sternum strap that I'm going to try.

So, most of the things I've done are performance oriented. But, what I'm thinking about for '06 I've mentioned above. I am soliciting opinions from the Porsche Dudes and Dudettes on ideas that are related to my possible mods in the coming year.....
Old 12-27-2005, 11:53 PM
RT7
Burning Brakes

As you said, GT3 seats but you and I have the same dilemma as far as how to access to the back compartment.

What about exterior? Such as Cargraphic lip or EVO CF lip? GT2 wing?
Old 12-28-2005, 02:37 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

How about throwing in a pair of GT2 rear brake cooling deflectors. You can change the drivers seat to the GT3 one and keep the reclining passenger seat. There were a few posts about putting the heating elements in the GT3 seats so it can be done.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:13 PM
JPschnitzer
Instructor

One thing about the GT3 seats that makes them nice is the ability to run a proper 5 point harness through the seat. The seats are fantastic when you are bolted in with the harness. However, to mount the harness, you really need a harness bar, which would completely block any use of rear seat....so what lttle storage area we have gets even smaller....
Old 12-28-2005, 06:34 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Khalid; I had heard of the GT2 rear brake deflectors but had forgotten them. So that may be something to try as well.....thanks. I have also thought about just changing the driver side to the GT3 seat and this may be the best way to go. I could then recline the other seat to get access to the back.

JP; The Brey Krause harness bar is a well designed unit that attachs to the existing points in the car. The top piece is held in place by two allen screws that can be quickly removed and the brace can then be rotated down and out of the way. Indeed it makes a handy spot to put your golf bags so that they don't scuff the interior too much.

On to the two piece rotors, I understand these can be purchased so as to use the stock calipers? Almost a direct bolt-in?
Old 12-28-2005, 11:11 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Does the GT2 have front air ducts or are they only from the GT3? And how much are they and are they hard to put on? Do they interfere with anything? I have seen some people run actual brake ducts in the front, is the GT3 set up just as good??

thanks for the answers, I have no idea, but really would like more brake cooling!!!

Happy New Year!!

tom
Old 12-29-2005, 09:37 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

GT2/3 brake ducts are the same size AFAIK. I used cup ducts on my '03 in the front with GT2 ducts in the back. It can only help so much and the cup ducts used to rub on full lock. Run Motul or any other perfoemance brake fluid and change pads as well if you're tracking.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:06 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Khalid, I run Castro SRF and Pagid orange pads, any need for the front and/or rear ducts or not worth the time and trouble

TIA
Old 12-29-2005, 04:20 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Garey, looks like you got things under control.

Tom, anything that you can do to cool these brakes down is worth it. It might not make that much of a difference but it all adds up.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:13 PM
RT7
Burning Brakes

You can use Sportec brake duct, $600, let me know if anyone needs one.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:25 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Ron, is that a "better" brake cooling set up than mentioned above, cause I'm going to do something to make me....I mean my brakes cool!
Old 12-29-2005, 11:59 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

I should pull out the tests I ran with the GT2/GT3 front and rear cooling ducts. I did some hot laps around Buttonwillow with and then without them. Not 100% scientific but the temps were down by like 12% of so if I remember right? I have the GTR kit now which already has far better cooling properties than the stockers but for 250 front and 200 rear they're a much better investment than the simple "front" only tubes.. I believe placement on those is vital too.

Quick Reply: Stuff to do in '06