Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK GOING WITH UPSOLUTE!! ANY REAL CONCERNS??

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 01:27 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking OK GOING WITH UPSOLUTE!! ANY REAL CONCERNS??

Ok, after all the research and following all the threads on this forum I am going to have my ECU flashed by Upsolute. Have to be honest the low price kinda scared me...I mean come on two products with the same result ie GIAC and Upsolute one less than 1k one over 3k, how could they both be the same quality?? I was also told that upsolute doesnt take into consideration the k24's or other upgrades....I have been re-educated about that as well!!

Since I feel I know little to nothing about this car compared to others on the board would like to throw this out there to see if anyone thinks I'm doing the wrong thing on an X-50 car that is tracked EVERY month and is the prime use of the car (the track)

appreciate any input for or against before I pull the trigger!!!

happy holidays to all!!

tom
Old 12-07-2005, 01:37 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Hi Tom,

Congrats on chipping the car.. without a doubt that's the best thing you can do to these things! I had the upsolute a looooong time ago so things may have and probably have changed since then. Back then all they had was a K16 file which was great. I did have a few ABS/PSM lights but for the amount of money I spent I could live with it. That was until I started to need more and more power with different hardware. I believe they now have a file for Kevin's stage 2 turbos (K24 equivalent), which people have been very happy with and gotten good results on also.

The thing that still remains that I'm not keen on is the fact that you have pull out the DME and then have the chip soldered in there. Not good in terms of making an "obvious" hardware change. As long as the solder-person is VERY careful it's usually safe. Either way in this day and age I prefer the flashing method

[Disclaimer: way before I was in the industry I bought/paid for GIAC software on my 996TT]
Old 12-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 313 Likes on 219 Posts

But in your car, the ABS/PSM light that you had was because of the FR5's..

Tom, whatever you decide, make sure that you mail your ECU to Rene.. And change your plugs..
Old 12-07-2005, 02:00 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kevin
But in your car, the ABS/PSM light that you had was because of the FR5's..

Tom, whatever you decide, make sure that you mail your ECU to Rene.. And change your plugs..
Yeps good idea!

That was before my plugs.. back in the early days. They sorted it out but it happened at the drag strip when I had version 1 and 2 but got sorted with 3. Then of course I had those plugs which caused all the mis-firing

I posted a picture of the dyno with Kevin's Stage II turbos and the Upsolute program on the other thread: real impressive numbers (over 110 horsies).

PS I remember going to the drag strip some 3 years ago and with a Fabspeed exhaust and Upsolute chip running 11.69 @ 121...
Old 12-07-2005, 02:36 PM
BigCarrot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for it! Huge bang for the buck! Oh, and send it directly to Rene.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:41 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Tom,
Kind of surprised to see you go this way since you have been taking a "spare no expense" kind of approach....even when it comes to color

With as much as you track the car, I figured you would be interested in the flexibility the flash-loader offers with all the program options. I can't imagine you won't eventually want to go to K24/26 hybrids to become the local track side bad a$$.

Upsolute is a good chip for a guy like myself, but seems kind of basic for the workout you'll want to give the car.

I picked a bad week to give up booze
Old 12-07-2005, 08:54 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kevin and Alex I apprecitate people with your kind of knowledge participating on this board with us common folk....I'm sure you both realize your opinions mean alot and alot of us follow your advise because of your experience. I dont have guys like you in this area (no offense Mark).
Shark you are right, I dont "spare any expense" when it comes to this car and that was why I originally held off on upsolute (why was it cheap...must not be as good?)
Anyway, my plan for the X-50 was reliable upgrade to deal with some of the modded cars at the tracks I frequent.
Plan was highest exhaust mod (thus the cat and straight pipe) and an ECU flash. Was (am?) still holding on flash. For the price I'll try upsolute, at some point probably end up with GIAC flash, who knows?!
Thanks again for all the input....let ya know how it goes!!!!

tom
Old 12-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Lizard1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don' think you'll be dissappointed
Old 12-07-2005, 09:58 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Kevin and Alex I apprecitate people with your kind of knowledge participating on this board with us common folk....I'm sure you both realize your opinions mean alot and alot of us follow your advise because of your experience. I dont have guys like you in this area (no offense Mark).
Shark you are right, I dont "spare any expense" when it comes to this car and that was why I originally held off on upsolute (why was it cheap...must not be as good?)
Anyway, my plan for the X-50 was reliable upgrade to deal with some of the modded cars at the tracks I frequent.
Plan was highest exhaust mod (thus the cat and straight pipe) and an ECU flash. Was (am?) still holding on flash. For the price I'll try upsolute, at some point probably end up with GIAC flash, who knows?!
Thanks again for all the input....let ya know how it goes!!!!

tom
Tom I'm really glad you're trying stuff out like this. I seriously doubt you'll be disapointed. Once anyone has been chipped they NEVER go back. Never! I think at $500 it's excellent value for money! Really I do and I used it around 3 years ago and had some of the earlier versions. Now it seems they've very much progressed thanks to Kevin and his turbos etc... and have some neat combos that are quick spooling and punchy indeed.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:27 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom, I'll probably be the lone dissenter here...but what the heck I'm not running any popularity contests!

Why do you N-E-E-D a Chip?

I guess only you can answer that question. As it is your car is pretty darn fast. More likely it's scary fast especially on the track. And since you track it regularly then you know, more than others on this board, that you can drive it faster as the skills grow. Why risk the reliability, and performance, of a tried and tested car with a chip that may (or may not) leave unbalanced other perfoming aspects of the car?

I for one (if I ever do an HP upgrade) would opt for an allround upgrade with RUF like reliability or none at all...

But then each to his own I guess. All the best. Cheers!
Old 12-08-2005, 02:10 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Tom, Thanks, It's a full time "hobby" the perfect job in life. Working on Porsche's.. For the 1st flash the Upsolute is hard to beat for the money. Nothing lost, most likely you will grow tired with that upgrade and move on to higher Stages of HP.. Run good fuel and enjoy your car..
Old 12-08-2005, 02:52 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Kevin is the darn reason I even got into this stuff. Between him and Stephen... I hate you guys Look what you did to me...

I honestly don't know if I've ever met anyone as enthusiastic and free-flowing with unbiased knowledge as Kevin. I remember one time a couple of years back before anyone had cracked open the 996TT case we were up at CJV's house and Kevin was throwing out all this new lingo and information on how to go absolutely crazy on these motors.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:52 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

A little OT..
Alex, it's been 2 years since working on your garage floor. Stephen at 3:00AM..
Old 12-08-2005, 04:18 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Haha that's awesome... The bloody expensive brakes and I'm not sure what Stephen was praying for... Maybe for you both to invent a tranny cooler intime for the even the next day lol!
Old 12-08-2005, 10:09 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh nice man. Geez thanks. Now people will think I have a sense of humor. Wow, it has been several years now.

Yea, well we made it happen. Little of this a pinch of that and a magic wand and we got it done!

Quick Reply: OK GOING WITH UPSOLUTE!! ANY REAL CONCERNS??