Sponsored by:

psm off more hp???

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 03:07 PM
omega
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default psm off more hp???

turned my psm off slippery 1st and 2nd ' corvette owners say they gain hp do we ??
Old 11-24-2005, 03:11 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by omega
turned my psm off slippery 1st and 2nd ' corvette owners say they gain hp do we ??
No extra power, it's just that power isn't pulled with the PSM off.

I turn mine off every time I drive the car.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:45 PM
omega
Racer

thanks doc have a great thanksgiving
Old 11-24-2005, 04:08 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by omega
have a great thanksgiving
Thanks, same to you.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:40 AM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

The Best Motoring video shows they got a faster lap time with the PSM on. It has nothing to do with HP, its all about grip. I had a C5 Corvette for several years, and their active handling system is much more intrusive than the psm.....it actually kicks your foot off the accelerator. Thats why better Corvette drivers switch it off. The psm is much better.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shark
It has nothing to do with HP, its all about grip.
As explained to me by a Porsche mechanic, PSM will reduce power when it senses wheel spin, even if it's in a straight like. So during straight line acceleration where you get wheel spin, having the PSM off allows for full power.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:02 PM
omega
Racer

thats what i noticed on acc more wheel spin longer in 1st with psm off and wheel spin in 2nd that was not their at all with psm on ...
Old 11-25-2005, 01:04 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

How can you say you have full power during wheelspin? Thats why Vipers so routinely get beaten by cars with less hp.....the chassis can't handle 500 hp.

What the mechanic is saying is that when a wheel starts spinning, the psm will damper the force applied to that wheel. Using psm provides you with greater usable power as applied to the asphalt.

I find that psm coupled with variable AWD makes this the best high hp platform in the world. A 600 hp 996TT would wipe the floor with a similar hp Lambo, Z06, Viper, Ferrari, or whatever on a track
Old 11-25-2005, 01:24 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

How can you say you have full power during wheelspin?
The power I'm talking about is the power from the engine to the wheels. If that power is reduced at the engine, then you're not getting full power to the wheels.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Darkworx
Instructor

How can you say you have full power during wheelspin? Thats why Vipers so routinely get beaten by cars with less hp.....the chassis can't handle 500 hp.

What the mechanic is saying is that when a wheel starts spinning, the psm will damper the force applied to that wheel. Using psm provides you with greater usable power as applied to the asphalt.

I find that psm coupled with variable AWD makes this the best high hp platform in the world. A 600 hp 996TT would wipe the floor with a similar hp Lambo, Z06, Viper, Ferrari, or whatever on a track

I like the cut of your jib, sir! Gives me hope and a warm fuzzy feeling of great joy and pride that my baby of 548 BHP can still give performance cars of newer generations a run for their money. Thank you for the pleasant Thanks Giving gift!

Happy Thanks Giving to all on this board!

PS. Wish those in New Orleans a happy thanks giving as well.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dock
The power I'm talking about is the power from the engine to the wheels. If that power is reduced at the engine, then you're not getting full power to the wheels.
How does the engine know the left rear tire is losing traction? Cylinder #6 shuts down? The rotational force to the affected wheel is damped (but not at the engine) by the brake, to slow it down until friction is restored without affecting hp as applied by your foot (throttle).

Again, this is different than the Corvette where your foot is pushed off the accelerator, which would reduce hp by reducing revs.

Time for some more pie.......now why am I solving Engineering problems on a vacation day
Old 11-25-2005, 04:37 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

How does the engine know the left rear tire is losing traction? Cylinder #6 shuts down? The rotational force to the affected wheel is damped (but not at the engine) by the brake, to slow it down until friction is restored without affecting hp as applied by your foot (throttle).
Porsche's PSM is more sophisticated than the system on the Vette. Porsche's PSM has the ability to reduce engine power. Here are two quotes from Porsche concerning the system...

"The events below inform the driver of PSM control operations" Several events are listed, and one of them is... "reduced engine power."

"Sophisticated sensors poll the ABS, anti-slip regulation and automatic break differential systems for data on speed, wheel rotation, steering angle, yaw and lateral acceleration. In an instant PSM uses these values to calculate your cornering line and correct traction loss by discreetly applying brake pressure to individual wheels. If necessary, engine output is also regulated."
Old 11-25-2005, 04:55 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This information is from PCNA...

PSM is not only a braking system. If you lift off the throttle in a low traction situation and the back of the car gets loose, PSM will increase the engine speed (blip the throttle) to keep the car in line. Also, if traction is low, PSM can use engine braking (EDC – engine drag torque control) to slow the car. PSM can calculate the amount of available traction by comparing wheel speeds at all four corners of the car.

Now back to my pie...
Old 11-25-2005, 06:53 PM
BigCarrot
Instructor

Again, this is different than the Corvette where your foot is pushed off the accelerator, which would reduce hp by reducing revs.

Time for some more pie.......now why am I solving Engineering problems on a vacation day

Wheel speed sensors tell the car when there is wheel spin occuring. It does limit engine power.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:23 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

If thats true, it must be a last ditch going over the side of the cliff interlock

I haven't had it kick back on me, where as the Corvette was always doing it. Going back to the original question, psm does not take away useable power on a regular basis. Mmmmmm...chocolate pecan pie

Quick Reply: psm off more hp???