psm off more hp???

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 09:35 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark
If thats true, it must be a last ditch going over the side of the cliff interlock

I haven't had it kick back on me, where as the Corvette was always doing it. Going back to the original question, psm does not take away useable power on a regular basis.
Going over the side of a cliff? No, it does not take anything more than spinning your tires. The power being pulled is *not* felt in the gas pedal (or anywhere else, except the seat of your pants), the system is too good to do that.

I don't think omega was asking about PSM in terms of normal driving. I think he was talking about under high power applications...probably at or near WOT.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:07 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
This information is from PCNA...If you lift off the throttle in a low traction situation and the back of the car gets loose, PSM will increase the engine speed (blip the throttle) to keep the car in line...
I think PCNA is wrong on that one. I don't believe there is ANY situation PSM will apply more throttle (even if technically it may be the right thing to do in a particular situation). All PSM stability corrections are by individual wheel braking and closing the throttle if necessary.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:08 PM
FineProperty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Autoworld on PSM

Porsche on PSM in the 997

"Another scenario where PSM can assist is when applying the throttle on wet or other low-grip surfaces."

You have to know which version of PSM you're talking about apparently.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:09 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I think that means PSM will limit wheelspin when you apply the throttle on low-grip surfaces. This will be by applying a brake or cutting power. It will not be by adding throttle. AS
Old 12-01-2005, 03:48 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry for being stupid but I thought you couldnt "turn off" the PSM on these cars????
Old 12-01-2005, 04:00 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's never really OFF, just kind of disabled.
You can drive with it in this state, but if you find yourself where you really need it (re: standing on the brakes, etc), the system re-enables itself, overriding your initial decision to turn it 'off'.

This is where the name for this featuer "Please Save Me" came from.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:58 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

thanks Lewis!!
Old 12-01-2005, 05:49 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Question BEDDING IN THE BRAKE PADS....DO YA....AND HOW??

Going to Pagid orange pads for my next 2 day event. Reading on there site re "bedding in" process. Is this what you guys do or something different or is it old school urban legend??

TIA

tpm
Old 12-01-2005, 05:59 PM
bert smith
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom-everyone has there own method, but this is what we stick to for the most part.
Perform four repeated light to medium stops, from 65 to 10 mph, to bring the rotors to temperature.
Perform two heavy stops, back to back from 65 mph to about 5 mph. Drive for five to ten minutes to create cooling airflow, without using the brakes if at all possible. Perform three light stops in succession. Perform eight heavy stops, back to back from 65 mph to about 5 mph.
Drive for ten minutes to create cooling airflow, without using the brakes if at all possible.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:14 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

thanks again Marc, sorry messed up posting this question will repost as a thread

Quick Reply: psm off more hp???