Sponsored by:

HEEL TOE EXPERTS NEED LITTLE ADVISE

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 11:39 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question HEEL TOE EXPERTS NEED LITTLE ADVISE

Changing my pedals any suggestions on brand, shape, quality, etc. Like to do it right the first time. Seems like several shapes, any opinions on best brand and shape for track events?

TIA

tom
Old 10-13-2005, 12:11 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
When I went for a ride with Doc Bundy at Road Atlanta, he told me that it's not really your heel/toe.
He drives with regular 'loafers' and puts the ball of his foot on the brake and then 'rolls' his foot over to blip the gas. Standard pedals on a 996.
It was interesting to watch and I was actually able to pick it up....about a year later!
Old 10-13-2005, 12:19 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

I'm better at "blipping" then this heel toe stuff. One corner at Sebring is 4th to 2nd hair pin. Never seem to get it right! Some guys are in gear before they turn some after, me I'm not sure?

Lewis, your queen has stock pedals most likely, what about that race car?

thanks!!
Old 10-13-2005, 12:51 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
When I went for a ride with Doc Bundy at Road Atlanta, he told me that it's not really your heel/toe.
He drives with regular 'loafers' and puts the ball of his foot on the brake and then 'rolls' his foot over to blip the gas.
Right. It should really be called "left half-right half" but that's too hard to say - and besides, it *was* originally heel-toe (some still use their heel and their toe).

The OEM pedals work just fine to "left half-right half" rev match downshift while braking...it just takes practice.

I personally heel-toe every time I drive.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:28 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Lewis, your queen has stock pedals most likely, what about that race car?
thanks!!
Actually, it's backwards.
The 'queen' has Cargraphic aluminum pedals with engraved Turbo script....very nice pedals. The 'thinking' was that since the car and/or my feet never get wet, the pedals will always look good.

The Cup car has nothing, just butt naked stock pedals....matches the butt naked nature of the rest of the Cup car's interior and nature.

I'd upload a pic, but for some reason, rennlist is not letting me do so now....been having problems off and on.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:32 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

NOT my car, but since I can't upload any photos to rennlist for some reason, here's a pic of Cargraphic Turbo script pedals from Google:
http://hobbystage.net/porsche/media....0718370-000194
Old 10-13-2005, 01:35 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

And here are the aluminum pedals from Gert at rennlist sponsor www.carnewal.com

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p96112.htm

They are very similar in appearance to the Ruf pedals, also a very popular choice.....I'm just not a big fan of the look/feel of the little rubber bumps.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:15 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

good info, thanks Lewis!!

Last edited by tkerrmd; 10-13-2005 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:20 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom, which pedal setup to use depends on $$$ to spend and foot size. My feet are size 10 (not really big) and I went for the Ruf pedals ($425 I think, incl. the dead pedal) and heel-toeing is now a pleasure...for me this is a pefect pedal setup. One thing you may want to avoid is getting a gas pedal in the shape of a reverse L. Also, if you do change from stock pedals to alum ones (even those with black rubber studs) make sure the soles of your shoes are not wet...as they may slip off the pedals.

While there are different ways to heel-toe, my preferred method is:

- brake with ball of right foot
- push in clutch pedal
- move shifter from higher gear thru gate
- BLIP throttle (with upper right half of right foot) at the moment shifter transitions thru Neutral
- engage in lower gear
- release clutch pedal

This whole sequence is one gentle, continuous motion. Practice on street until it becomes an unconscious act. Enjoy!
Old 10-13-2005, 01:26 PM
BlkC4S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't comment on pedals, but I was able to teach myself to heel/toe.

I'd recommend first sitting in your driveway with the parking brake on and the car in neutral and just teach your foot how to brake and blip the throttle. I was convinced that my pedals weren't setup correctly until I practiced this a few times. Now it's second nature.

Then, I found an empty road and practiced about 20 4-3 heel/toe downshifts. I find that one a lot easier than 3-2.

It's pretty fun once you get the hang of it. I heel/toe all the time on the street.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

About Pedals - do not go for ones with the extension unless you have very narrow and small feet. Otherwise you will end up pressing the gas and the brake at the same time .. ask me how I know. Bill gives great advice. If you can brake and blip the throttle while stationary you need not modify the pedal(s).

Braking on the track is usually heavier than on the street. Heel and toe is most often used going into slow corners and you need to account for the brake pedal being pushed lower than it will be on the street.

Sometimes the brake pedal is too high to permit a comfortable roll of the foot. The height of the brake pedal can easily be adjusted (god bless Porsche), or you can simply buy another rubber pedal cover from the dealer and screw it on top of the existing one. That's a ten dollar solution as opposed to $$$ for RUF pedals.

Rgds,
Old 10-13-2005, 01:43 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bobby, I'm trying!
Old 10-13-2005, 01:46 PM
Woodster
Drifting

I have gone with www.ultimatepedals.com for my aluminum pedals and have been very
happy. I have size 11.5 feet (narrowish), and always wear my driving shoes and had
the lower left portion of the gas pedal extended for easier heal toeing (for me)
marty
Old 10-13-2005, 01:52 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Woodster good site thanks! Rob, Bob thanks for the advice!
Old 10-13-2005, 03:35 PM
RoadKill
Instructor

Woodster,

When I first looked at Ultimate Pedels, they were only offering the aluminum version without any rubber inserts. I hestated buying them as I was concerned about wet soles on my shoes/sneakers slipping. Now I see that you have a choice of raised or rounded rubber inserts. Which version did you get and how do they feel in driving?

Thanks,

Quick Reply: HEEL TOE EXPERTS NEED LITTLE ADVISE