Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HEEL TOE EXPERTS NEED LITTLE ADVISE

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 04:07 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

The faster you go and the harder you brake, the easier it gets. At real race speeds, the most common error is not enough "blip".
It's kind of pointless at street speeds, since you aren't braking very hard.
In the tt, and most race cars too, it's easiest when you move your right heel more toward the throttle pedal, so your foot is more angled than usual. Earlier series Porsches, like the 964 had such height disparity between the pedals, that you needed a widened pedal (I used "Wings"). I put a widened pedal on my tt, and took it off in 10 minutes. It was unnecessary, and actually worse. AS
Old 10-14-2005, 03:33 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a used set of RUF pedals a couple of years ago and am afraid to put them on. I've become reasonably comfortable with the heal/toe with the OEM pedals and don't see any reason to change them.

Mike
Old 10-20-2005, 11:58 AM
Scott_in_Houston
Instructor

It's become 2nd nature to me too. I don't have to look at my tach any more either in order to rev match while heel/toe braking.
What I did to practice and teach myself was while braking to a stop light, I'd set a target RPM like 4K and while braking, I'd roll my foot to that RPM. I didn't even necessarily have to put it in gear, but I was getting used to the throttle and rev matching to a certain speed.
Then from there I started going ahead and putting it in gear to practice the rev matching.

Now, I can heel/toe and rev match on turns or while going straight as 2nd nature. I don't even think about it, just like you don't think about using a clutch anymore to get off the line.

I've also really gotten into double clutch down shifting when on the highway. I know it's not necessary in our cars, but it's kind of fun for some reason and it's become 2nd nature as well. I hope it's at least giving me the added benefit of preserving my synchros longer.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:39 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom, I know this is sort of a belated tip but if you're still reading this thread here's a good practice technique that was recommended to me when I was learning to heel-toe.

On the highway a way to break the monotony is to practice heel-toe downshifts (start with 4-3 since its easier than 3-2). Think of doing say 1-2 shifts a minute...which adds up to 30-60 shifts per 1/2 hour...and before you know it becomes an unconscious act like riding a bicycle.

Initially, you may find yourself overblipping, underblipping and get the timing of blips, shifts, and clutch release sort of messed up. That's par for the course. Just follow the correct sequence visualizing a smooth, continuous, slow motion movement.

Have fun...
Old 10-20-2005, 12:43 PM
Scott_in_Houston
Instructor

Bobby, so on the highway, he'll be hitting the brakes that often? That seems kinda dangerous.

Unless you're talking about just plain rev matching...
Old 10-20-2005, 12:50 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott_in_Houston
Bobby, so on the highway, he'll be hitting the brakes that often? That seems kinda dangerous.

Unless you're talking about just plain rev matching...
Scott, you're right I should have been more explicit. Since this practice involves braking, it should only be done on either very quiet highways or where traffic is light. I used to practice on a quiet highway late evenings/nights in the center lane.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Scott_in_Houston
Instructor

I figured. I just wanted to verify so there wasn't any confusion for any folks reading this and wanting to learn the practice of heel-toe and/or rev matching.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:21 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bobby, Scott thanks for the input, I'm still trying! Appreciate taking the time to offer your thoughts

thanks
Old 10-20-2005, 02:23 PM
DT04R
Intermediate

This is outstanding recommendation - I did the same thing (at a track in the paddocks). Just sat with the car running and practiced clutching, braking and blipping, over and over. I got to where I could "blip" to nearly any RPM range.

Kept practicing off track through the course of the day - this was interesting because as my brakes softened a bit, I got to feel the heel/toe from a firm beginning of the day, to a toasted end of the day.

The first time I did it on track, it was amazing - unbelievable how much smoother I was around Roebling. I still do the off-track practice now and again, to get the feel. I'm sure when I get my TT it will start all over again.

Tom - I see from your sig you're at Sebring - what a great track! I love a nice 4-3-2 heel/toe going into 7 after that nice high speed sweeper, you can really get the car settled down and hoof it into the hairpin pretty quickly.

Cheers -

DT

Originally Posted by BlkC4S
I'd recommend first sitting in your driveway with the parking brake on and the car in neutral and just teach your foot how to brake and blip the throttle. I was convinced that my pedals weren't setup correctly until I practiced this a few times. Now it's second nature.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:08 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

DT, thanks, that damn turn 7 is where I need the most help!! I'm going in Nov let me know if you can ride with me!!

tom
Old 10-20-2005, 11:36 PM
tjmpb
AutoX

Question about heel-toe. When I watch sports car driving/reviews on TV, you'll hear a roar with the higher rpm's (the blip) as the car is going into (or in the middle of) the turn, then the roar goes right down with the rpms while the car is still in the turn (or coming out).

My question is, if you're doing heel-toe correctly, shouldn't the rpm's stay up? If the rpm's go way up then come right down, does that necessarily mean that person didn't do the heel-toe correctly?

I must admit I'm a complete newbie, I really don't even have a lot of experience driving a manual, and learned the heel-toe from the one day Derek Daly Formula Ford course in Las Vegas.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:20 AM
DT04R
Intermediate

Hey Tom!

What group/club are you running with?

I haven't been down to Sebring in quite a while - we (the wifey included) love the nice 4 star digs right on the track. I think she got her toes done, or something waxed (doesn't hurt the Chateau has a full spa )

Last even I ran with Chin Motorsports, she got some outstanding video from our balcony (track side, right at #7!). The downside with CMS events at Sebring is they tend to be pretty packed - I was in the solo group, but they had people bumped up from the lower run groups, instructors, race class, etc., so it was more frustrating that fun.

The ticket seems to be a Roebling Road event the weekend _before_ a Sebring event - people kind of hold off for Sebring, the RR event is really light. The last RR two day event I attended, the Sunday was so vacant, at one point I thought I was on track during a quiet time or something - didn't see another car for like 30 minutes!! I had so much track time I actually ran out of energy, brakes and tires and went home early.

I think we're going to be in NYC sometime in Nov for some fashion/art event or something, but shoot me the schedule anyway -

Seeya!

DT

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
DT, thanks, that damn turn 7 is where I need the most help!! I'm going in Nov let me know if you can ride with me!!

tom
Old 10-21-2005, 10:56 AM
Scott_in_Houston
Instructor

Originally Posted by tjmpb
Question about heel-toe. When I watch sports car driving/reviews on TV, you'll hear a roar with the higher rpm's (the blip) as the car is going into (or in the middle of) the turn, then the roar goes right down with the rpms while the car is still in the turn (or coming out).

My question is, if you're doing heel-toe correctly, shouldn't the rpm's stay up? If the rpm's go way up then come right down, does that necessarily mean that person didn't do the heel-toe correctly?

I must admit I'm a complete newbie, I really don't even have a lot of experience driving a manual, and learned the heel-toe from the one day Derek Daly Formula Ford course in Las Vegas.
The RPM's won't necessarily stay "up". They need to go down to the beginning of the power band for the appropriate gear needed at the speed of the turn. I'm no super expert, but the way I do it is... brake hard prior to the turn and at same time, heel-toe to the right gear, and I'm engaged in that gear as I enter the turn giving throttle all the way through. My RPMs will be down around 3-4k which is lower than they were before I begin braking, but it's the beginning of the real torque curve for the car.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:18 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tjmpb

Let's say I'm in 4th at 4000 rpms and heel-toeing down to 3rd. I blip to ~ 5,500 rpms and by the time I've engaged in 3rd (remember I'm still braking) the rpms have fallen back to ~ 4000. Hence the "roar" on the blip, and then steady back down.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:26 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Is 'blipping" and heel toe the same thing?? I thought real heel toe was staying on the gas and brake and always keeping the rpms up while blipping is just putting the car in desired gear then blip gas to let clutch out?! What do I know?

DT I run with PCA Suncoast but also do all the Chin events Sebring offers. You must have had an unusal experience with Chin. I run solo and there is so much drive time I have to give up at some point by the end of the day!!

Next PCA event is in NOV check PCA.org for schedule.

My usual plan is dinner the night before at Inn by the Lake, stay at the Chateau. To track early. Girlfriend sleeps in, breakfast in bed and then to the salon till lunch. Nice buffet lunch at the Chateau with girlfriend after her massage, then we both go to the track for the afternoon.....seems to work well for both of us!!!

PS what is up with the brake fade and have you done anything different to the brakes yet?

tom

Quick Reply: HEEL TOE EXPERTS NEED LITTLE ADVISE