Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TT v. TT/X50 for "around town" usage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 11:09 AM
DT04R
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT v. TT/X50 for "around town" usage?

Howdy Folks

As I plan for my 996/TT purchase, I've been going back and forth with a "regular" (as if these cars are anything of the sort ) or an X50 package. While the X50 in the MSRP world is a little excessive, in the used market it's a much more managable cost. I understand the difference in power and most of the parts that make this up (K24's vs. K16's, etc.).

I absolutely plan on modifying the car - initially (assuming I don't buy "pre-modded") I would suspect: DV's, intake, exhaust and tuning of some sort (GIAC likely).

DISCLAIMER: I don't endorse any kind of street racing

However, I want optimum performance - as the topic suggests - around town. You know for those much needed high-speed runs from light to light

I don't so much need maximum top end performance - I've never been much of a high speed highway type person, and heck I even owned a Supra (T04R single, highly modified, lots of pics if anyone cares), which was certainly "king" of that domain.

I guess part of my question is the lag of a K16 car vs. a K24 car (?) Are the K16's much more responsive in the 0-40 area? Given that the car will probably (like everything I've owned) go through a gradual evolution, would I be better off saving the money on an X50 car, and do some better responsive aftermarket turbos later on?

Final question barrage

Given that the X50 has larger IC's (which I figure would help with heat generated at a DE/track event, I run a few a year) _and_ has a stronger tranny, are these worth the extra cost? Especially the tranny if I'm planning on modifications.

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2005, 01:07 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

K24s definately take longer to spool up, the modified K16s seem to be the best option.

The std transmission and intercoolers have not been a problem running these cars hard, the piece of mind is nice though......

I found that most of the X50 cars that were $4-5k more than the standard model (ie a reasonable price to pay to upgrade) were severely under-optioned.........like all the original owner could afford was the X-50

Finding a well optioned X50 just didn't seem worth the difference to me, so I'll go the upgrade route.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done couple runs with my friends Turbo S (X50) also with GIAC flash. We've try to start at 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. Everytime my TT can jump about 1 car lenght because of less turbo lag. The TTS pass me at about 200km/h everytime. So I will say get a non-X50 and do the upgrade yourself. If you find is not enough speed after stage 2. You can upgrade the hybid turbo which is better than factory K24.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:16 AM
KSA Turbo
Intermediate

i have an X50 i use it daily
Old 09-07-2005, 08:39 AM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

No big difference in around town usage really (I know cause I owned both)
However, if buying used, all the extras with the X50 are worth the small premium: beefed up tranny, slightly louder exhaust, bigger turbos, bigger intercoolers...

Good luck in your search

P.S. I think I had the most optioned X50 in the US LOL (160,100 in factory options, then another 8K in retro-fit MY 04 options like alu look PCM and electric sports seats)
Old 09-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

$1100 - GT2 intercoolers
$5000 - Europipe Stage 2 Loud Exhaust

By looking at your profile and past modding experience, the KKK24's are a liniting factor. The K16's will give you more low end TQ. At the end of the day, you will be upgrading your turbos. Save the money and add it to your mod fund.

Mike
Old 09-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zippy
The K16's will give you more low end TQ.
Zipster,
Are you talking about hybrid K16s or the stock ones?

You have big power, what are you running?
Old 09-07-2005, 11:26 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are going to change what porsche thought was a good set up, why pay for their version of "modding" just do it yourself. (See what car lasts longer at the track) IMHO go for the X50 already safely "modded" and are you going to be able to tell the difference or better yet have a use for a car with 500+ hp vs 450?? or is it just to tell your friends on people on this forum how much hp you have?? Be honest with yourself and you will know what to do!!

tom k
Old 09-08-2005, 03:00 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shark
Zipster,
Are you talking about hybrid K16s or the stock ones? You have big power, what are you running?
K16's will eat up K24's "in town". I have the KKK Hybrids with Garrett internals.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:07 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
... and are you going to be able to tell the difference or better yet have a use for a car with 500+ hp vs 450?? ...

The difference is far from questionable. I would suggest you never to get into a 996TT with 600+ HP. Your car will forever feel like a pig. No offense intended.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zippy
Your car will forever feel like a pig
Oink, Oink........need turbo upgrade.........Oink, Oink

Thanks Mike
Old 09-08-2005, 12:11 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Seriously I wouldn't get the X50... if you plan on driving 100plus on the freeway then they make sense (in Germany that is) but they do have quite a bit more lag than the K16s...
Old 09-08-2005, 01:45 PM
DT04R
Intermediate

Howdy Folks!

First of all, thanks for all the info - great information from everybody

I realize(d) that this topic is flogging an incredibly dead horse (and invokes a pretty wide range of opinions, i.e., Marianne vs. Ginger ), but the "around town" spin has shed some interesting additional perspectives.

I think as I pursue this (getting some things in order with the business and garage, so no rush) I'll focus on getting the exact car I want (color, interior, suspension, etc.) with the exception that I'll be flexible on an X50 (if it's a can't pass up sort of deal).

It sounds like the X50 is a great deal for those people who want the extra power with the reliability/warranty, and are reasonably happy with the ~444HP.

However, I +never+ leave things alone - for me 1/2 the fun with the car is the tinkering and modifications. Heck, I plans for the current ride that included a 6.6L/402Ci motor and a TT system. Excessive? Yes. "Usable", hmmm, probably not

It sounds like a "chipped"/exhaust/intake car will give me a good bit of power (more than a stock X50) + the much improved response. The upgraded tranny of the X50 is still sounds like a nice bit of insurance, especially on a modified car, though it doesn't sound like many non-X50 cars run into tranny issues (even with moderate upgrades).

Again, thanks!

DT
Old 09-08-2005, 04:47 PM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't forget you can also do chip/exhaust/intake on an X50 car, too. It's not like you can only mod K16 cars People of habit of comparing chipped K16 cars versus stock X50's, but neglect to consider a chipped X50.

Personally I opted for the (used) X50 so that I could simply chip it and be happy with the results. Sure, my car is probably a tad laggier than a "regular" turbo, but I am saving the cost of doing an aftermarket turbo swap. These cars are so incredible from the factory that I decided to keep the mods light and still be plenty satisfied

Last edited by nash; 09-09-2005 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:55 PM
jasoncuk
Instructor

Originally Posted by sharkster
Seriously I wouldn't get the X50... they do have quite a bit more lag than the K16s...

Is this true even with say Europipe exhaust and EVO airbox?

Quick Reply: TT v. TT/X50 for "around town" usage?