Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do real men drive tiptronics??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 06:47 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

AS, isn't the tip made by MB similar to whats in the larger torqued MB's?
Old 08-14-2005, 06:47 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

So, That is one "No" for a Porsche paddle shifter.
Will we be different from Ferrari buyers, who get the paddle shifter 90% of the time? AS
Old 08-14-2005, 06:57 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

My understanding is that Porsche buys some components from MB- most importantly first gear.
The two boxes have similarity only in that they are bot operable in auto and +/_ mode. Only the Tip will send itself into full competition mode if you nail the throttle, brake hard into a corner, and load the chassis in a turn. Then, the tip holds upshifts to the redline, downshifts under braking, and will not upshift in a turn if you release throttle pressure.
I'm not sure most Porsche owners have tried this. AS
Old 08-14-2005, 09:03 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

The 355s I drove with F1s were not that impressive. The 360 F1 seems much better and I hear the 430 is even better. Most people are buying 430s for cruising or pimpin (not track). 70 percent are projected to be convertibles with 80 percent F1s. I purposely purchased a 355 manual, but now that I am looking at 360s I am indecessive. The 360 feels and sounds like a race car with the F1 and I have another gated shifter to keep me happy.

You just can not beat the heck out of Ferraris like you can Porsches and I understand you can go through those F1 clutches quick, especially driving in stop and go traffic and sitting at a lot of red lights not in neautral.

Sharkster:

I understand that for a novice, taking shifting out of the equation makes it a lot easier on the track for a newbie. I just don't think most can even drive the car well enough or even at 9/10s to even worry about which would be quicker on a track. Hence, the decision should be made on what suits your use or needs best. I don't mind shifting in traffic and actually feel more in control and confident when driving on a track or spirited with a manual because I feel like I have complete control.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:57 PM
johnyg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So that settles it. The Tip is better. LOL Just giving you guys something to discuss. I hope everyone enjoys their car as much as I do. Sharky, ya'll have done 7 640 kits on tips. How much do you think the tip can handle and still live a normal life. I mean if you drive it hard often but not always what power/ torque level will this tranny tolerate. Just because it does not break right away does not mean it will live forever. Just curious. I have the PSI 480 kit and love it. I can only imagine what a 640 feels like.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:40 AM
Boston Duce
Advanced

A close inspection of the outside of tip case (after cosmoline removal) reveals a nice, three-point-star part number tag (in color), attached to it.

Regards,
BD
Old 08-19-2005, 10:54 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Thanks for clearing that up.AS
Old 08-19-2005, 02:00 PM
johnyg
Instructor

No doubt the mechanicals are MB produced. However there is an additional and seperate computer that controls the learning of the tip S. I don't think that hte mercedes cars have this. This I believe is a Porsche proprietary technology and unique to the tip S in the turbo. No other tips for porsche are the same as the turbo. I think I read this in a porsche turbo book.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by johnyg
No doubt the mechanicals are MB produced. However there is an additional and seperate computer that controls the learning of the tip S. I don't think that hte mercedes cars have this. This I believe is a Porsche proprietary technology and unique to the tip S in the turbo. No other tips for porsche are the same as the turbo. I think I read this in a porsche turbo book.
That would make sense as Tips in other models I have spent time with were not very good. My time in a tip TT is limited whereas I have spent weeks in tip Boxsters and a year with tip in a Cayenne S.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:00 PM
collin996tt
Advanced

Originally Posted by johnyg
So that settles it. The Tip is better. LOL Just giving you guys something to discuss. I hope everyone enjoys their car as much as I do. Sharky, ya'll have done 7 640 kits on tips. How much do you think the tip can handle and still live a normal life. I mean if you drive it hard often but not always what power/ torque level will this tranny tolerate. Just because it does not break right away does not mean it will live forever. Just curious. I have the PSI 480 kit and love it. I can only imagine what a 640 feels like.
I love my PSI 480 too.

You should imagine what the PSI 550 or PSI 650 kit feels like

Only time will tell what all this HP do to our cars. I suspect very few of those people will keep their car long enough to find out though...
Old 08-19-2005, 03:20 PM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by collin996tt
...Only time will tell what all this HP do to our cars. I suspect very few of those people will keep their car long enough to find out though...
Hmmmmm..... Hope that's not part of the PSI planned upgrade path!
Old 08-19-2005, 07:23 PM
collin996tt
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zippy
Hmmmmm..... Hope that's not part of the PSI planned upgrade path!
I expect to drive my car past 100k miles. I always do with all my cars. I'm saying most people don't own these cars, stock or otherwise, long enough to find out what constant hard driving will do to the life of complex parts like the tip tranny. Luckily, I do not have a tip Clutch is cheap enough to replace.

Quick Reply: Do real men drive tiptronics??