Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Imagine's Race Clutch & 5lb Flywheel In!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Denstoyz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Imagine's Race Clutch & 5lb Flywheel In!

It's been 4 days now with Imagine's new race clutch and 5lb flywheel in - I feel like I'm learning to drive a stick all over again!

There is virtually no play/slip in this clutch - it's either on or off! It engages at the very top of the clutch - taking some getting use to.

So far I've only stalled the car ONCE! I'm happy about that! (except for the fact it happened as I was pulling out into traffic!)

PROS: Very quick engagement! When you got on it especially off the line it's awesome! Keep the revs high and this set up is to die for! It seems like it likes harder launches vs. the stock clutch. The car "feels" faster going through the gears!

CONS: Stop & go in traffic is a pain in the ***! But getting better at it! There is now a loud chattering from the tranny when the clutch isn't engaged - makes my car sound like a diesel! Reversing on a hill so far the biggest challenge. Car/clutch will vibrate if you are coming off the clutch at less than 2800rpms or so (i.e. slowing down in traffic and coming off 2nd gear).

Overall - I can't wait to hit the drag strip to see how this car does (not that I want a drag car but I am curious with the 600hp pkg plus this set up). Highway running is great - takes away some daily driveability but getting better each day - don't think I will ever valet this car again in fear of the driver stalling the car and thinking my clutch is broke! But overall I like it so far for the kind of hard core driving I do - only recommend to those of you who like to really "get on it" like me - I'm still a boy racer at heart!
Old 08-03-2005, 12:16 PM
BigCarrot
Instructor

I hate race clutches with a passion! I honestly think it's the reason I sold my last car. It's one of those things that you have to do once you get to a certain hp level, but it sucks!
Old 08-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Woodster
Drifting

I am not enamored with my "race clutch" either, up hill starts or reversing out of
slanted parking spots with curb a foot or two away is nerve wracking!
MK
Old 08-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

nice for the track! totally unpractical for the street.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:39 PM
greyghost
Instructor

What are the different options for perfomance clutch systems not quite as aggressive as a race set-up?
Old 08-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by greyghost
What are the different options for perfomance clutch systems not quite as aggressive as a race set-up?
Good question. As much as I like this clutch when driving, its such a pain in the *** when in traffic on a hill. I can just Imagine what the guy in the otherr car is thinking, "what a joke! That guy has such a hot car and he can't even drive a stick!". I need to get a bumper sticker made saying "I CAN drive, but this thing has a Race Clutch!"
Old 08-03-2005, 03:07 PM
BigCarrot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zippy
Good question. As much as I like this clutch when driving, its such a pain in the *** when in traffic on a hill. I can just Imagine what the guy in the otherr car is thinking, "what a joke! That guy has such a hot car and he can't even drive a stick!". I need to get a bumper sticker made saying "I CAN drive, but this thing has a Race Clutch!"

I KNOW the feeling!!! It sucks to take off in a parking lot with everyone looking at your car, and have it chatter your teeth out!
Old 08-03-2005, 09:22 PM
cgmeredithjr
Banned

Tilton Triple Disc Clutch. Well, I don't have first hand knowledge yet, but this is supposed to be the best of all worlds: massive holding capacity (1200lb.ft) and able to be slipped like stock due to the fact that the discs are non-metallic. Should have more information very soon.

Cleve

P.S. It ain't cheap!
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Bob M
Instructor

Sounds like my reaction is the same as everyone else's with the same set up. But, I have been driving on it for a month or so and can drive it pretty smoothly now. I am probably not going to be taking chances shooting a close gap in traffic while turning left for a while, but that's okay, I guess. I've got my heel and toeing going pretty well again, so feel good about that. Over all, it does take concentration and patience otherwise some embarrassing moments will kick you hard. Any of you know what pilot induced oscillation is? I have managed to replicate it in my TT a few times!! Regarding hills, they have a whole new meaning!! But I have gotten really good at hand brake coordination so even that is okay now too. If I lived in San Francisco, I would probably have a different story to tell though! I had it on the track for a 3-day event last month and it was a big improvement over stock. It was awesome! All in all, I think I am happy with it.

Cleve, I am going to be very interested to see if you feel the Tilton is really is the best of both world's. Hard to believe you can have that much clamping power with the modulated feel a stock clutch gives you. But, hey, I'd take it! Keep us posted.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:51 PM
cgmeredithjr
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob M
Sounds like my reaction is the same as everyone else's with the same set up. But, I have been driving on it for a month or so and can drive it pretty smoothly now. I am probably not going to be taking chances shooting a close gap in traffic while turning left for a while, but that's okay, I guess. I've got my heel and toeing going pretty well again, so feel good about that. Over all, it does take concentration and patience otherwise some embarrassing moments will kick you hard. Any of you know what pilot induced oscillation is? I have managed to replicate it in my TT a few times!! Regarding hills, they have a whole new meaning!! But I have gotten really good at hand brake coordination so even that is okay now too. If I lived in San Francisco, I would probably have a different story to tell though! I had it on the track for a 3-day event last month and it was a big improvement over stock. It was awesome! All in all, I think I am happy with it.

Cleve, I am going to be very interested to see if you feel the Tilton is really is the best of both world's. Hard to believe you can have that much clamping power with the modulated feel a stock clutch gives you. But, hey, I'd take it! Keep us posted.

Bob,
As I understand it, the clamping force will be somewhat greater, but the gain in holding capacity is in the dramatically increased surface area...imagine having a 2 foot diameter clutch (3-8.25" discs)...similar to a dump truck!
Cleve
Old 08-03-2005, 11:56 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The sad thing is once you pass a certain level the clutch has to be changed. They all do get better with time. I drive my car daily so I am of course very use to the pedal. It is a time thing. It still is better then burning the clutch up and paying for another install and setup!
Old 08-04-2005, 12:27 AM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a Tilton twin disc carbon/carbon in my car. It slips just enough to make driving thru traffic and around town reasonable. The engagement range is quite short but you get used to it.

However, don't expect it to slip one bit from a drag race type launch. It has been on/off in that situation.

Also keep in mind that the advertised torque capacities are quite a bit lower than the real world holding power. Even my twin disc was tested at the Tilton facilities to 1100 lb-ft before slipping (advertised at 620).
Old 08-04-2005, 01:56 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob M
...Any of you know what pilot induced oscillation is? I have managed to replicate it in my TT a few times!!...
Pilot-induced oscillations occur when the pilot of an aircraft inadvertently commands an often increasing series of corrections in opposite directions, each an attempt to correct for the previous overcorrection with an overcorrection in the opposite direction.

Been there a couple of times when learning to drive this clutch. My wife had a bad case of it turning left through an intersection, the first time she drove the car with the new clutch. She doesn't like to drive it much anymore

I agree with Stephen - it's a lot better than replacing the OEM every couple of months. You ahve to do something at a certain HP level. I was considering trying something different when this one finally gives up the ghost. It'll probably lasst for 20 years.

I have gotten reasonably comfortable with it. Even starting to turn left through traffic when feeling particuliarily brave. I think it helps to practice some quick off the line starts.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:36 AM
Denstoyz
Advanced

Well it seems like the feeling is pretty mutual with most of you! As I mentioned before though I am happy that I went with this clutch/flywheel set up - today was my best day with it so far! It was like driving normal most of the day!

Is it possible to get more boost with a race clutch?? I only ask because with Imagine's Pump Gas set up I used to only get up to 1.2 bar and on the 100 octane set up 1.4 bar... but today I was spiking at 1.4 bar with ease on the pump set up - I was like YEE HAW!! Like I said - it FEELS faster!
Old 08-04-2005, 09:20 AM
Bob M
Instructor

Hey Zippy, Looks like you got my drift and been there too, uh huh, uh, uh, uh huh!!

Stephen is right about the choice you need to make if you go with higher hp upgrades. And, he is right about getting used to it, but he had to do some reassuring with me during the first week I had it. Something about a love hate relationship with your clutch during the first week, right?! Anyway, I had to laugh when I read Denstoyz initial post as he used the exact same descriptions I had used when I called Stephen the first time. Anyway, like I said earlier, I did finally get used to it and most of the time someone watching me or riding with me while I take off from a dead stop would never know the clutch set up was any different than stock. It also provides an entertainment factor that didn't exist before. If you want to take a friend down a notch or two, let him drive your car.

Cleve, It sounds great. I hope that it works out as you hope. One thing that think it will do, is put the engagement point further down to the floor, right? I am guessing that the main reason our clutch setups engage so high up is because we are using a single disc clutch with a lighter flywheel. The flywheel is thinner, creating more gap between it and the disc, so the disc has to move further before it engages the flywheel. Am I right on this? If I am, then it stands to reason that a multidisc clutch which is thicker would make this gap less and engage in a more stock-like location when used with a lightweight flywheel. Maybe I am totally off base but it sounds like reasonable theory.

Quick Reply: Imagine's Race Clutch & 5lb Flywheel In!