Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Imagine's Race Clutch & 5lb Flywheel In!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 09:24 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmm, sounds like it is just happy with octane, heat etc. It will move depending on conditions.

Funny how people can or can't deal with a different clutch. I think most are spoiled by the power assisted slave cylinder in these cars. In the old days my Mustangs, Masarati, 930s etc all had twitchy clutches. Even with the big stuff for the TT it is still mild compared to the stuff we have had in the past. Ever run a Stillen S8 on a 300ZXT? Talk about a pain!

Cleve’s clutch will remove the slave and use just the hydraulic portion. It will change the whole feel of the setup.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Denstoyz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stephen,

Was I suppose to have the bolts with that clutch? It cost me another $200 for just the bolts that didn't come with it?!

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised yesterday when I noticed more boost - I wonder what it will do with your race tune I will soon find out. ...and like I said on an earlier post (so you don't think i'm disappointed with this clutch) I am very happy with the race clutch and it's been fun trying to perfect it! As Bob mentioned when he drives his car now the passengers don't notice the difference - that was me yesterday! So I am enjoying the new modification - gotta just check on some of the noises it's making (which I'm sure is normal but better to be safe than sorry) and I am having serious reservations of valeting my car anymore - it's Vegas here and I valet most of the frequent places I go! I guess I'll have to park in valet if they let me or just park far far away!
Old 08-04-2005, 06:32 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, what kind of bolts where those? Last I checked I don't think they were that much. But then again from the dealer they might be. We normally do not include them. Just the flywheel bolts need replacing. You can not reuse those.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Denstoyz
Advanced

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
Wow, what kind of bolts where those? Last I checked I don't think they were that much. But then again from the dealer they might be. We normally do not include them. Just the flywheel bolts need replacing. You can not reuse those.

Trust me - I was really surprised! Most expensive bolts I've ever paid for!!

BTW - took the car out for awhile yesterday and got on it pretty hard going through the gears 1-4 and it was awesome! Besides the wheel hop (see launch thread...) I tried power shifting from 1-2-3-4 and it didn't miss a beat! Now, I don't normally drive around town like that but I'm practicing before I return to the strip again. We put a short throw shifter kit in too and it performs beautifully!
Old 08-22-2005, 01:19 PM
Bagarbilla
4th Gear

Hi everyone. New to this site

Got a question for you guys though, what is the weight of the stock flywheel in lbs?

I was under the impression that anything under 11 lbs is not very practical on boosted street cars, due to the fact that there is lower inertia and the revs drop faster, causing the turbos to spool down.

Also as already mentioned, on a street car it can be a pain due to the fact that revs need to be kept more than normal in order to get the car moving from a complete stop. Needless to say going up hill can be a challenge as well.

However I know the benefits of having a lighter flywheel, so I'm not flaming the original poster. I just want to broaden my knowledge as far as Porsche 996 TT's are concerned since I may be a future owner.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:39 PM
Denstoyz
Advanced

Correct me if I am wrong but i think it's 25-30lbs.

...and as an update - I drive this clutch/flywheel set up like it's a normal car now! Very used to it!
Old 08-25-2005, 06:16 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

I have 635 rwhp and we went to a custom made Spec clutch through EVO and mine works very similar to the stock clutch. Bob M drove it maybe he will chime in.

Quick Reply: Imagine's Race Clutch & 5lb Flywheel In!